Intel i5 / DP55KG Build

logophile

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hello build gurus! Thank you for any help you folks can provide.

I am ready to build a desktop system that I primarily want to use for editing large HD video files and perhaps some gaming if I so desire.

My wife helped Intel put together the DP55KG board, so we were given the following that I would like to build a system around for the purposes mentioned above:

CPU: Intel Core i5
MB: Intel DP55KG Extreme Series
Heatsink: Thermalright MUX-120

I will now answer the questions laid out in the forum guidelines.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: As soon as I figure out what to buy.

BUDGET RANGE:
Whatever it takes, but not the super-high-end stuff if it will cost me an arm and a leg.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Editing large 1080p HD video files and the ability to get my game on if I so desire. Q: Would it not be able to handle everything else if it can do those things well?

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, DVD/CD burner

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Well-priced reputable vendors that you guys trust.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Portland, OR, USA.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, whatever you like that is compatible.

OVERCLOCKING: If I understand correctly, one of the main features of the board is Turbo Boost which may help with this. Not my strong point, so I'll say "Maybe".

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: I do not know what this means. What would you recommend?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I would at least like it to be x 1080, but what do you suggest? I will need a large monitor for video editing. Any outstanding deals on good monitors these days? I have an 37" 1080p HDTV that I could use for gaming, no?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
This computer will be in a bedroom where people sleep, so if it is relatively quiet, that would be great.

Here are the things I would like to include, if you have any suggestions:
o As much memory as will benefit me greatest.
o A powerful graphics card that will not break the bank.
o An overly-adequate power supply that will be relatively quiet yet help keep things cool.
o A tower that is not see-though (all those light would keep people awake).
o Fast internal hard drive for system operation
o Large and fast eSata external hard drive for fast access of stored video files
o System 7 sounds like the way to go (yes?). If so, what is the best way to buy it?
o Blue-ray burner?

Thank you!

ArbY

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
For RAM/Memory, here are two suggestions. One is a 4GB kit, the other is an 8GB kit. If you have the money I recommend the 8GB kit because, unless you plan to upgrade in the next 2 - 3 years, you get more mileage out of the PC. Also, the fact that you're dealing with editing HD footage means that your system could really benefit from the 8GB kit.
- Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 4GB ( 2 x 2GB ) - URL
- Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 8GB ( 4 x 2GB ) - URL

For the internal hard-drive, here are some more suggestions. If you want to splurge, there's the option of Solid State Disk tech. Video editing requires a bit of hard-drive space. HD video editing requires a lot of hard-drive space. If you like the SSD option, go with that as your 'system' drive: install the OS on it, run games and applications from it. Then get a second, spindle hard-drive with massive storage capacity. The advantage of SSD is the phenomenal performance in terms of read & write speeds.
- Intel G2 or OCZ Vertex series SSDs are great options.
- Western Digital RE4 2TB will provide you with massive storage capacity but also enterprise-class reliability
If SSD isn't the path you want to take, here are conventional HDD suggestions.
- WD VelociRaptor 300GB provides stellar performance. If you want additional storage, check out that 2TB drive I linked above as a second drive.

Power Supply:
- Corsair 620HX ($150) - URL

Video card - several options at different price points:
- ATI Radeon HD 5870 ($410) - URL
- ATI Radeon HD 5850 ($310) - URL
- ATI Radeon HD 4890 ($210) - URL

BluRay burner:
- LG ($190) - URL

Case:
- Antec P183 ($140) - URL
- Lian-Li PC 7F ($130) - URL
- Antec three hundred ($55) - URL

Hey that's a start. Hopefully some other people chime in with some help.