Nov 12, 2019
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know where can I found evolution of Intel i5 cpu family from first to last generation and also their comparation in benchmarks?🙂

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tall order. What exactly do you mean by evolution? If you want their hardware features ark.intel has all of them listed.

Something like Passmark will have all their benchmark scores through the years. Not really a huge amount of information though. Just a standardized test.

Also, are you just taking desktop, or all i5 processors? Couple hundred in total I would think. One top end example from each generation?

Wikipedia is a good resource for basic information and timelines without having to dig it out of Intel.

Reactions: Dejan97FoReVeR
Nov 12, 2019
Tall order. What exactly do you mean by evolution? If you want their hardware features ark.intel has all of them listed.

Something like Passmark will have all their benchmark scores through the years. Not really a huge amount of information though. Just a standardized test.

Also, are you just taking desktop, or all i5 processors? Couple hundred in total I would think. One top end example from each generation?

Wikipedia is a good resource for basic information and timelines without having to dig it out of Intel.
Thank you for your answer. By evolution, I mean comparing intel i5 desktop processors by generations. So declaratively describe the processor family, not the particular model, but the first generation, then the last one, and give a comparative view from the first to the last generation. I need performance tests like tests with ZIP files of large files, massive I/O operations, crypto or render operations or similar and energy consumption/efficiency and heating). These would be parameters that I would use to present them side by side or even better chronologically as a graph that could track the visual performance improvement across generations of the same family of processors. I need it for a dissertation.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can certainly track down each generation's marketing material. They generally compare them to the previous generation, but the numbers are usually pretty bogus as they focus on what makes it look best.

Pretty rare for someone to take the time to put all the generations together and run the same tests. That is why I recommend passmark. You'll get a single core and multicore score for each CPU. You can easily graph that and look up what their test consists of.

As for the more complex benchmarks you are after. You are probably going to have to track down individual reviews and compare them. Zip and some sort of render are usually included in standard test suites, but they may vary from generation to generation.

Nov 12, 2019
You can certainly track down each generation's marketing material. They generally compare them to the previous generation, but the numbers are usually pretty bogus as they focus on what makes it look best.

Pretty rare for someone to take the time to put all the generations together and run the same tests. That is why I recommend passmark. You'll get a single core and multicore score for each CPU. You can easily graph that and look up what their test consists of.

As for the more complex benchmarks you are after. You are probably going to have to track down individual reviews and compare them. Zip and some sort of render are usually included in standard test suites, but they may vary from generation to generation.
Good ideas, thank you.