[SOLVED] Intel i7-4770k What is considered a good idle temp range?

Apr 16, 2020
Hi guys,
I have had my intel i7-4770k for about 6-7 years now. About 2 year ago, my Cooler Master AIO leaked into my gpu and caused the whole thing to get fried. So I changed my GPU to the GTX 1060 and swapped out my AIO to this "ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L AIO".

Recenetly, if I tried playing games like F1 2019. GTA V or sometimes even Fifa, my whole pc would just freeze up after gaming for awhile. So I would have to restart the entire system. And the temp would reach 85°C to almost 100°C when gaming.

I got curious and went to check my cpu temp on Core Temp. I realised that my cpu temp on about 3-10% load is 60°C to 70°C. So i figured maybe the dust was affecting the fans from spinning well, and I went to use compressed air to clean my PC.

After that, the temps went down to about 45°C to 50°C on idle but somehow a day later, it rose back up to 60+°C to 70°C on idle.

I was wondering if replacing the AIO to a normal fan cooler would help? Or re-applying a new thermal paste?
I saw a thread online that says older Intel chips have higher temp range and that this is fine. But is it really?

Screenshot of Core Temp and CPU-Z:
View: https://imgur.com/a/nMNxcg5

Solution
I was wondering if replacing the AIO to a normal fan cooler would help? Or re-applying a new thermal paste?
I saw a thread online that says older Intel chips have higher temp range and that this is fine. But is it really?
I have a 4770k with a Hyper 212 Evo cooler - which is a fairly basic cooler really.

With a fan curve set to near silent rpm at idle I get temps around 40C. At max cup usage and fans really blasting temps go into the high 70s.

Sounds like your cooling setup is faulty in some way. That AIO should be plenty. It's much better than my air cooler. It may just be insufficient thermal paste. The claim by many that only a tiny amount of paste is needed, is very misleading. There really is no harm in using too much...
May 3, 2020
Hi. Would like to know too...

However my system has been running much cooler than yours even under load.
I had a UMX5 Case which is really terrible with intake and exhausting air and the whole layout was questionable. My AIO was at the top and the aluminium shell would get so hot to the touch at stock speeds.

if your CPU temps are up there, it could be insufficient cooling or the contact between the CPU and AIO are not tight enough (I have an ID-COOLING Dashflow 240mm and the backplate screws are like flathead nails. Had to use a rubberband to tighten them up and my idle temps dropped. There were somewhere around 50°C with no load but i never got the BSOD)

Recently i bought a new case and a bunch of fans and the case had 3 LL120 fans on the front (Corsair iCue 465x)

1x ML120 Pro exhaust on the back.
2x AF120 Quiet Edition exhaust on the top. (Very quiet even at 100% - I cant control them)
(They run at 100% all the time but when I bought a splitter for them, the now have a much lower min and mid speed that are below 50%)
2x ML120 Pro Pull on the Radiator mounted at the front
(Now not connected to the CPU OPT header - My AIO uses the cables that mount onto SSDs/HDD/USB add ons)
3x LL120 on the front of the radiator (1 of them basically cools the PSU/HDD compartment)

My temps are (With this setup at 4Ghz with Prime95, max temps were between 45°C and 55°C:
Motherboard is around 20-25°C
CPU is around 30-35°C (Would be 25-30% with the Pull fans on the CPU OPT but much louder)
GPU is overclocked but can get upto 70°C. Had to mess with the Radeon settings as the fan was on 0 RPM mode at times. but now its much lower at 50-60 under load.
My CPU is OC'd to 4.2GHz and the memory is 1632 on XMP (All slots populated)
I usually run it at 4.0GHz but i used the Asus Level Up. And maybe thats were the extra 5°C is coming from.
I will be getting the EK 360 AIO when it becomes available then my temps may get even lower but i wount be able to use the bottom pull fan as there isn't space for it.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I have a 4770k with a Hyper 212 Evo cooler - which is a fairly basic cooler really.

With a fan curve set to near silent rpm at idle I get temps around 40C. At max cup usage and fans really blasting temps go into the high 70s.

Sounds like your cooling setup is faulty in some way. That AIO should be plenty. It's much better than my air cooler. It may just be insufficient thermal paste. The claim by many that only a tiny amount of paste is needed, is very misleading. There really is no harm in using too much. Any excess is just squeezed out the sides. There is much harm in using too little, it just won't work.

Try resetting the block and use a decent pea sized amount of paste to see if it makes any difference.

Reactions: THVAVNI
Solution