Intel i7-6800K on MSI X99 motherboard will not overclock - Windows Update KB4100347 Breaks Broadwell-E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2018
Here's the issue in detail with what's causing it.
I had oc'd my i7 6800k at 3.9ghz
My Vccin was 1.91 and core voltage = 1.192
It was working fine and never had any crashes since 2 years.

I achieved a successful overclock at 4.1 GHz but the power draw was too much.

But then just yesterday this freak phenomena occurred, Or I just noticed it. Only core 1 is firing at 3.8ghz, rest of the cores ON 3.6GHZ. This is freaking me out.

I'm a video editor and filmmaker. I built this rig with the sole purpose of overclocking to get max performance.

It just doesn't run past 3.6ghz. I boosted my voltages
Here is the cpu-z validation link
https://valid.x86.fr/j0e2sd
http://

It's got pretty much my entire hardware details.

Here's a screenshot of Bios

2d8rymh.jpg

whba77.jpg

Here is a overclock stress test results using prime 95, CPU-Z and HWmonitor

4l0p5x.jpg

Please help guys... The windows is up to date. I'm waiting before each update as recent windows updates are deleting files and failing to boot and what not. Bios is the latest, I just flashed it yesterday, got rid of all the saved profiles and everything. Still Nothing.
X99S SLI PLUS (MS-7885) V1.E BIOS Release
-----------------------------------------------------------------

1. This is AMI BIOS release

2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Improved USB compatibility.
- Fix MSI Clutch GM60/GM70 mouse cursor jump in windows and BIOS when DPI set over 1000Mhz.
- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities

3. 2018/6/19
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until then I'm gonna run it on default core clock with MSI's OC Genie which BTW is offering 3.7ghz constant.
begejc.jpg

Stress Test result with OC Genie turned on. All cylinders firing at 100% on 3.7GHZ

Looks like the windows update Warning: Windows Update KB4100347 Breaks Broadwell-E Overclocking Seems to be the culprit.

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/9ss5oi/i7_6800k_oc_not_applying_in_windows_anymore/]

Caution be taken before changing or uninstalling this update,

[url=https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/9hniqa/warning_windows_update_kb4100347_breaks/e72ftg0/]

Has anyone figured it out yet??

IS there a way to communicate with MSI or mobo manufacturers of Broadwell CPU to update a newer BIOS quickly??

Nov 14, 2018
23ussid.jpg

As of right now, the problem is solved. I just updated windows with the latest update and looks like the overclocking is working solid and fine.

Make sure you have updated with the cumulative updates and windows version 1803. Feature update of 1809 seems to suffer the same problem so beware. Check the details in the screenshot. Benchmarks and Stress tests with GPU overclocking applied are still stable.

211wi06.jpg

I haven't dug into it deeply yet. But will update you guys with the particular update name once I'm sure of it (i.e. KB)

Nov 14, 2018

I agree I have a capable system. But the purpose of buying a 'K' processor is to suck every price to performance ratio.
When render times are 10 hours. 25% boost in performance means a 2.5hour saving in time. That is something we simply cannot ignore! Especially when video editors and content creators are paid by the hour!

Hope you get the idea. The point here is not to spend another 1000$ on a new processor within the next 3years at least.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I fully understand and I don't blame you for wanting to maximize your performance. Vendors are fairly fickle when it comes to supporting previous generation hardware. Some are better than others, but all of them prioritize more current tech in terms of support and updates.

Glad you seem to have worked out a solution. Well done.

Nov 14, 2018
Hey guys!! It's solved. :bounce::D:pt1cable::pt1cable::pt1cable:

10d8nxt.jpg

Well Long story short and No more screenshots.
MSI's June update on Bios was supposed to fix the microcode. But windows update were slow and took till November.

Trusting MSI's reply I updated to windows 10 1809. Overclocking works without any issues. Make sure you are updated with all the latest in windows and it solves itself. I can't say the same about Asus or other mobos but MSI SLI x99 with the June 2018 Bios update is working fine for me.

Just stress tested it at 4.1GHZ and it's running great. Windows has finally fixed the issue!

Please feel to update the thread and post any persisting problems.

Nov 14, 2018
***** UPDATE ***********
The newest security update of windows has screwed overclocking again.

FOR SOME STRANGE REASON! THE OVERCLOCK SEEMS WORKING WITH WINDOWS FAST BOOT ENABLED IN BIOS AND WINDOWS. So unable to boot into my linux mint anymore as HDD's won't be detected.

THIS IS GETTING A WHOLE LOT CRAZY THAN EXPECTED.

Status
Not open for further replies.