Intel i7-8700k vs i7-8086k

Joey_67

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
I'm looking at building a gaming pc, and my primary goal is to make it powerful enough to run future games as well as modern ones. I was looking at buying an i7-8700k (3.7 GHz, $300) because it see seemed the best price for the power it offered since it's essentially Intel's flagship processor. But I saw the i7-8086 (5.0 GHz, $400) and it is minorly more powerful but it's clock speed is significantly higher. So is it worth paying the extra $100 for the clock speed (and I think 2 more cores, not sure)? I'm trying to keep expenses to a minimum but if this gives me a significant advantage and longevity, I would consider the price.

Solution
Nope. Save your $$$ and just get a 8700k. The minuscule performance difference between the two processors is not worth +$100. Plus the 5ghz turbo clock is only guaranteed on a single core, so if you intend to overclock at all, this becomes moot.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. Save your $$$ and just get a 8700k. The minuscule performance difference between the two processors is not worth +$100. Plus the 5ghz turbo clock is only guaranteed on a single core, so if you intend to overclock at all, this becomes moot.

Solution

Ilya__

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

The difference in speed is not significant. I would spend this extra $100 on a bigger/better SSD or better PSU. Unless of course your budget is unlimited :p

Nope. The 8086k is really just a limited market item to celebrate 40 years since the original 8086. If you win the silicon lottery you can achieve the same core speeds with the normal 8700k.

Please note the 5.0 Ghz was for only 1 core, not the entire package.

Geef

Distinguished
Just think of the 8086k as the hand picked 8700k chips rebranded. Thats all they are. With a regular 8700k chip its just a slight gamble if you will be able to overclock. Its possible it will still be able to hit 5Ghz turbo by overclocking but if not, oh well you still saved 100 dollars.

Gaidax

Distinguished
I7-8086K is rumored to be higher binned 8700K, so if you are planning to go crazy with delids and such, it is likely you will be spared silicon lottery to some extent and will be able to OC higher than average 8700K, but that's about it. Stock - it's 5GHz thing is misleading at best, because it's only for single core boost, while rest of the boost cases totally identical to 8700K, meaning it's literally 8700k stock

Also, it looks cool in forum sig, that's why I am getting it delidded, pre-tested and all the bells and whistles to run my target of 5GHz all cores.