[SOLVED] Intel i9 11900K Ram overclock

Feb 21, 2022
Hey guys,

So I have put together a new pc setup last week and I had some problems with booting to windows. First I thought that it was caused by some bios settings, since I enabled XMP and then I could manually choose which drive to boot windows from. The xmp looked fine, and there seemed to be no issues under performance. Next day I found out that the boot issue persisted and I had to switch the pc on, which showed blackscreen without the monitor even lighting up, then switch it off with the power button, which allowed me to go into bios (since the pc was shut down the way it was) and that allowed me to choose the bootable drive again. But the pc didnt boot on its own without bios. Well I was confused but in the end I tried disabling the XMP and the windows were finally booted on its own.

So now I am kinda lost what should I do with my 3600MHz rams. Should I try to overclock them without the XMP?
My pc setup below:

Intel Core i9 11900K
Asus TUF Gaming B560
Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Vengeance RGB
Nvidia RTX 2070

Solution
Test your ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Is your motherboard bios and me driver current?
Test your ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Is your motherboard bios and me driver current?

Solution
Feb 21, 2022
Thank you for your swift response,
The whole booting issue originated from the XMP as I have suspected, I can get the RAMs to 2933MHz with 1,25V/1.35V, but not more sadly even with higher voltage. I didnt try to adjust the ram timings just yet, since its not something i yet completely understand.
The rams should be able to at least 3600MHz, the cpu memory manager has a soft cap on 3200 but should be able to do more with OC aswell and the mobo should be able to handle up to 5000MHz.
Bios says it does not need an update via their software (Ai something) and neither does ME i think.

I will try to run memtest later tonight but I do not think it is as much relevant when I cant even get the rams to the needed speed. I am honestly at a loss of what to do now. Do I get a ram kit from a different manufacturer?

Contact Corsair customer support ram guys. They have been supportive in the past.
Ram will have a lifetime warranty.
But, first, they will want to know what memtest shows so you might as well run that first.
To be certain, you said a 32gb KIT; ram may have issues if bought as separate sticks, even of the same part number.

Hey guys,

So I have put together a new pc setup last week and I had some problems with booting to windows. First I thought that it was caused by some bios settings, since I enabled XMP and then I could manually choose which drive to boot windows from. The xmp looked fine, and there seemed to be no issues under performance. Next day I found out that the boot issue persisted and I had to switch the pc on, which showed blackscreen without the monitor even lighting up, then switch it off with the power button, which allowed me to go into bios (since the pc was shut down the way it was) and that allowed me to choose the bootable drive again. But the pc didnt boot on its own without bios. Well I was confused but in the end I tried disabling the XMP and the windows were finally booted on its own.

So now I am kinda lost what should I do with my 3600MHz rams. Should I try to overclock them without the XMP?
My pc setup below:

Intel Core i9 11900K
Asus TUF Gaming B560
Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Vengeance RGB
Nvidia RTX 2070
Could you tell which Ver. are your kit in the label? Also could you provide a screenshot of thaiphoon burner read and asrock timing configurator read (try to download it from Asrock z590 OC Formula page on windows 10 drivers)?

Feb 21, 2022
Contact Corsair customer support ram guys. They have been supportive in the past.
Ram will have a lifetime warranty.
But, first, they will want to know what memtest shows so you might as well run that first.
To be certain, you said a 32gb KIT; ram may have issues if bought as separate sticks, even of the same part number.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try contacting their support. I ran some smaller memtests yesterday that were capable to run in windows. and it didnt show any errors when clocked to 2933MHz. And I will run the off-windows memtest today since I had no flashdrive yesterday.
And yes its a kit NOT bought separately.

Could you tell which Ver. are your kit in the label? Also could you provide a screenshot of thaiphoon burner read and asrock timing configurator read (try to download it from Asrock z590 OC Formula page on windows 10 drivers)?

Its a CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 if thats what you were referring to.

Thaiphoon burner read
https://prnt.sc/-RrdJxjIhS1Y

And I am not familiar with the second thing you mentioned but I hope this is what you wanted to see?
https://prnt.sc/N3yfnySM4Ktn

Thanks again guys.

Its a CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 if thats what you were referring to.
its on the ram stick itself, the label is ther, should be somthing Ver 4.31, it should be like this:
attachment.php

Feb 21, 2022
Oh, a Dual Rank (2Rx8) Micron E Die, should overclock good. first, Try to update the bios to the latest first, then enable XMP/D.O.C.P, then on CPU System Agent Voltage, set 1.2v, and on CPU VCCIO to 1.15v, and BCLK to 100.05. then save and exit. if it worked, try to give another timing configurator read :D

So, apparently I cant change bclk on "low end" asus mobo. I tried running the specs with only xmp CPU SA voltage and CPU VCCIO with both xmp 1 and xmp 2 and neither of those worked for me, The screen stayed black as before. There are only options for BCLK : DRAM ratio (auto/100:100/100:133) and Memory controller : DRAM freqency ratio (auto/1:1/1:2)

So, apparently I cant change bclk on "low end" asus mobo. I tried running the specs with only xmp CPU SA voltage and CPU VCCIO with both xmp 1 and xmp 2 and neither of those worked for me, The screen stayed black as before. There are only options for BCLK : DRAM ratio (auto/100:100/100:133) and Memory controller : DRAM freqency ratio (auto/1:1/1:2)
Well then, leave the bclk alone, i wonder if you enable xmp and use 1:2 on dram frequency ratio would help. because if it worked, then i guess you lose the silicon lottery :"

Or try to run the fastest XMP Profile, but downclock the frequency to the stable you could, and give an timing configurator read here.

Anyways, bios on the latest?

Feb 21, 2022
Well then, leave the bclk alone, i wonder if you enable xmp and use 1:2 on dram frequency ratio would help. because if it worked, then i guess you lose the silicon lottery :"

Or try to run the fastest XMP Profile, but downclock the frequency to the stable you could, and give an timing configurator read here.

Anyways, bios on the latest?

Bios is the latest, I flashed it yesterday.
xmp with 1:2 does not boot (which is good then? i guess?)
downclocked xmp 2 seems to be booting just fine (with 2933MHz as worked before without xmp)

https://prnt.sc/WqGbpIv2A8sd

But strangely looks worse then without xmp (? again I am just guessing at this point)

Bios is the latest, I flashed it yesterday.
xmp with 1:2 does not boot (which is good then? i guess?)
downclocked xmp 2 seems to be booting just fine (with 2933MHz as worked before without xmp)

https://prnt.sc/WqGbpIv2A8sd

But strangely looks worse then without xmp (? again I am just guessing at this point)
could you try to use XMP 1 or the fastest XMP profile then downclock it to 2666 or last known bootable? i am curious to the xmp 1 timings.