News Intel Ice Lake Xeon Platinum 8380 Review: 10nm Debuts for the Data Center

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
A really well done article. Thank you.

It will be interesting to see what vendors do with this platform seeing as Sapphire Rapids just around the corner..

Did Intel decide to discontinue the Bronze series chips?
Or perhaps they're just skipping them for this generation?

thGe17

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019

It will be interesting to see what vendors do with this platform seeing as Sapphire Rapids just around the corner..

"what vendors": All of them, because AMD only manufactures a small portion of Intel.
"around the corner": Yes ... and no ... Sapphire Rapids SP should be presented towards the end of the year (and for example the Aurora will receive chips), but volume ramp will take place in 1Q22, maybe even 2Q22.

Reactions: adamboy64

RandomGuy2

Prominent
Mar 23, 2021
One advice on the encoding benchmarks. 1080p is really too low resolution to use all these cores. Increasing the resolution to at least 4K would make more sense as it would reflect better the actual usage scenario. If you would like to really utilize these server platforms, you have to bump it up to 8K or run multiple 4K encodings.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

I don't think it matters that much. This is because server market is very different from end user. Companies don't usually wait out for a new CPU to be release before buying. Its based on when its needed and budget.

It is also why despite the better price/performance ratio of AMD CPUs, they are only chipping away at Intel's market share. The market is very different from end user one.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I don't think it matters that much. This is because server market is very different from end user. Companies don't usually wait out for a new CPU to be release before buying. Its based on when its needed and budget.

It is also why despite the better price/performance ratio of AMD CPUs, they are only chipping away at Intel's market share. The market is very different from end user one.
Thanks for that. I was wondering whether vendors like HP or Dell would release their next generation of servers for this upgrade, or whether they would wait for Sapphire Rapids.

But I see that HP has announced their Gen 10 'Plus' range with these 3rd gen processors, so it's as an extension of their existing generation of servers, rather than calling it a new generation and having it only last a year before being superseded.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Thanks for that. I was wondering whether vendors like HP or Dell would release their next generation of servers for this upgrade, or whether they would wait for Sapphire Rapids.

But I see that HP has announced their Gen 10 'Plus' range with these 3rd gen processors, so it's as an extension of their existing generation of servers, rather than calling it a new generation and having it only last a year before being superseded.

These tier 1 vendors like Dell, HP and Lenovo will be the fastest to release new servers based on these CPUs.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Not a fan of Intel but this shows that Intel is never a failure, just behind in manufacturing node just like AMD few years back. Media too noisy that Intel is a failure. However, Intel will continue catch-up like this until they get their products manufactured by TSMC

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Nice to see Until's newest chips are competitive with AMD's last-gen chips, trading blows. Still waiting for the latest AMD chips to be tested so we can see how much Until needs to improve. I guess just trailing one generation is not bad.