Intel Kaby Lake: 14nm+, Higher Clocks, New Media Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What a boring release. LGA 2011-v3 is my platform of interest.

Yup, Skylake Refresh. Higher clocks. Slightly lower power consumption. Probably saw a demo of Overwatch on Iris Pro 680 (580 with 200mHz or so higher clocks. Overall, probably not a very interesting release. The only hopeful thing is they might bring Iris/Iris Pro to lower end or lower power SKUs.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
Sheesh, why all the negativity? As someone who put together a Skylake platform with an i3, I'm looking forward to more capable -K processors being released for the same socket.

txhorn

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Kaby Lake's hardware encode and decode of 4k codecs is significantly better than Skylake. VP9 4k decode is down to 10-20% cpu usage from 70-80% usage. That's pretty awesome for HTPC's and high-res portable battery life.

goblinissimus

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Nothing about USB 3.1 Gen 2, TB3, DP1.3, HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2?
Also, 12 bit (aka Dolby Vision or DV) HEVC decode would have been nice.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Nope, I thought it was off, too, as that's the price for the 7th-Generation Core i7. However, the table says that even the i7 is only a 2C/4T CPU. But that's because these are the "Kaby Lake-Y", ultra-low power processors...the kind you find in laptops, Ultrabooks, 2-in-1s, & tablets, & the laptops aren't going to be the high-powered gaming/streaming ones either. These are the low-end chips, that aren't expected to be paired with any kind of discrete GPU. So I wouldn't expect a whole lot of performance from them anyway.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Desktop buyers and gamers certainly won't be impressed by these chips, but buyers of thin-and-light laptops will likely appreciate the extra performance and lower power of the fanless-capable Y-series chips.

InvalidError

Titan

Intel's mobile chip pricing (and chip pricing in general) is going out of control. Broadwell chips weren't cheap either. It is as if Intel was begging people to demand more powerful ARM-based laptops and more desktop-like functionality in Android/ChromeOS.

InvalidError

Titan

"the faster H-series products, which Intel designed for more enthusiast-oriented mobile platforms (like gaming laptops), the S-series (mainstream desktop), HEDT, workstation, and enterprise products are not due until next year."

In other words, we may have a Broadwell 2.0 here: mainstream desktop chips launching late with no availability and Cannonlake just a few more months out.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

That would certainly be the rational approach to increase density, but Intel actually did make them wider, which was a bit of a switch (har) in strategy. I can make the rational assumption that this helps to reduce the channel strain, thus allowing higher voltage/clocks. Unfortunately, we still await more information from Intel (specific measurements, etc.) so that we can provide more accurate information.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Excitement!!

(not sure which way it will go, of course, but exciting either way)

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Right. I forgot about i3/5/7 not meaning much besides cache and clocks in mobile chips.

TDice

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
I just want stuff I can't afford... But this release, I want Nothing to do with. So I am happy that i get to save some more money now ^^ Great Release!

Status
Not open for further replies.