News Intel Launches 14th-Gen Raptor Lake Refresh: Core i9-14900K, i7-14700K, and i5-14600K on October 17

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Their gaming benchmarks in the first slide show 1080p performance. Whos going to spend $500+ on a cpu and matching build for 1080p gaming? Show 1440p and above FFS.
The reason CPU reviews typically show performance @ 1080p is that these resolutions tend to be most sensitive to CPU speed. At higher resolutions, the GPU becomes more of a limiting factor, and the difference between CPUs becomes a lot less.

In other words, it's just being done to show the CPU in the best light - not because they actually expect people buying an i9 to run at only 1080p.

Reactions: thisisaname
Still, no official Intel ARK page detailing specs.

As far as I know, you'll need a full-fledged VM to host Windows inside of Linux. Or, you could use WINE, for certain things.

Linux' built-in VM solution is called KVM. There are some GUIs made to streamline the process of using KVM, one of which is Proxmox:

Valve has indeed been a prolific contributor to Linux' Mesa graphics framework, and particularly the AMD GPU drivers.

With Ubuntu, you get a 5-year support window for LTS releases, which happen every 2 years. The upgrade process is usually pretty painless and the main issue with breaking is usually only if you have proprietary drivers installed for something that's not supported under the newer version.

On Linux, proprietary drivers tend to be pretty rare. Most companies try to get their drivers upstreamed and integrated into the mainline kernel. Intel and AMD both have open sourced and upstreamed their GPU drivers. Nvidia is working on it, but maybe at least a year away from fully switching over from their proprietary drivers.

That's news to me.
Windows 10 got released 2015, going strong on 8 years...

At some point all mobos will have TPM and, this is just my guess, most of them will have it enabled with no way to disable it other than maybe hacking the bios.
Why?! Because MS will tell them that that will be necessary for them to advertise compliance with windows whatever-the-version.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
It was a joke, Asetek is a huge OEM of CPU liquid-cooled AIO solutions. Historically, a lot of manufacturers just bought some Asetek units in bulk and threw their names on them. I don't blame you for not getting it because it was a bit of an obscure reference and it's really my fault for not having linked the word "Asetek" for context. I've since fixed that oversight. ;)
I knew that it was a joke, but I just didn't get it. I am not at all knowledgeable of the various component OEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts