Intel Makes 22nm 3-D Tri-Gate Tech for Ivy Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

really puts the sting on amd. people were wondering if bulldozer could hold up to sandy bridge, but unless they plan on something huge, it doesn't seem like they will be able to keep up with intel. i guess that means amd fans could maybe look forward to inexpensive pricing.

ellarpc

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
AMD will just go ARMstrong and leave Intel with the dying x86... Or yeah AMD prolly won't be able to compete with Intel

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
As long as AMD's CPU's can still support the latest games and applications, I'll continue to buy them.

Competition is required for innovation in this market..

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]WHComp[/nom]Goodbye AMD, you will be missed.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Saffron_Blaze[/nom]Kiss AMD goodbye?[/citation]
Haven't you heard? By the time Ivy Bridge rolls out, AMD will put transistors in four dimensions.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]As long as AMD's CPU's can still support the latest games and applications, I'll continue to buy them.Competition is required for innovation in this market..[/citation]

AMD is hardly competitive in the CPU market.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]As long as AMD's CPU's can still support the latest games and applications, I'll continue to buy them.Competition is required for innovation in this market..[/citation]

There isn't competition now(sandy bridge anyone?). Yet innovation is still moving us forward.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]Haven't you heard? By the time Ivy Bridge rolls out, AMD will put transistors in four dimensions.[/citation]
So basically they will control time and space so that a Sempron could outperform any computer, even a supercomputer? Dang, I didn't think amdfangirl would've been right on that, but maybe it's true... ;)

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Grrr I hate posting something only for me to not be logged in and for Toms to lose the post.

Anyway, a 37% increase in transistor performance doesn't necessarily translate to a 37% increase in CPU performance compared to Sandy Bridge. What it should mean is higher clocks and lower power usage, so you can have your cake and eat it too. And I now have a craving for waffles, yum.

I was wondering about stacked memory, and Ivy Bridge should feature that too (if Semi-Accurate is to be believed). Should the memory bus be wide enough, an onboard GPU could be very fast. I'm wondering about AMD's plans with both sorts of technology. It would be naive to think that AMD didn't know about Intel using either of these, but you can't help but wonder how they're going to combat it. The only way Intel could've been more cruel would be to delay this announcement to just prior to the Bulldozer and Llano launches, but it's done now.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Intel and AMD have never failed to impress me.
Congratulations to the army of researchers, engineers and scientists that it took to design these chips. My hat goes off to you.

G

as impressive as this sounds, it just sounds like Intel found a good way to get to 22nm and below, reading the title i thought Intel found a way for a single transistor to act as 3 transistors, but really this only allows for smaller more efficient or faster chips (hard to say for sure the explanation was really kindergarten and really gave no real details), makes it sound like Ivy Bridge is just Sandy Bridge OCed

and for those who think it's a nail in AMD's coffin think again, AMD has nearly always clocked slower then Intel, they make up for it with optimization, which gives the bonus that when they do figure die shrink out they get even more bang

Intel is going so fast, that the latest thing only lasts 3 months now, what a joke. Your going to need 3 different motherboard sockets a year at this rate.
Another reason why AMD could care less about the high end desktop market, it's very small and they are moving in other directions.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
AMD getting mounted by Intel is nothing new, but we should keep it in perspective. Bulldozer is inferior in pure performance, but should do well in performance per die size in highly threaded applications. It's better than where they are now. Also, don't underestimate IBM and their own research. They alone make faster microprocessors than Intel. AMD will have access to this technology.

So, while there's no doubt this is an important announcement, it's not the end of the world for AMD. We don't know how easy this will be to make, we don't know what IBM has up its sleave, and we already are in a situation where AMD can't compete in performance, but still is surviving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS