[SOLVED] Intel (MDS) RIDL, Fallout, and ZombieLoad security flaws affects gaming performance?

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Will Intel (MDS) RIDL, Fallout, and ZombieLoad security Patches affects gaming performance (noticeable frame rate numbers reduction) for Intel Processors (affected cpus) with Hyper threading and without Hyper threading?

in-flight-buffers.png

USAFRet

Titan
The security flaw looks to b e worst then Meltdown and Spectre?

What are the big performance hit around here 40% or 50%?
Not sure what you're asking.
No one (that I am aware of) saw a 40% or 50% FPS reduction during the last thing. Either the actual 'flaw', or the 'fix', or the fix for the fix.

Currently, the 'flaw' exists. It has existed in the microcode for several years. There is nothing to compare it to saying 'better'.
Any patch has not been released yet. Either rewriting the CPU microcode, or a software/OS patch.
As again, nothing to compare to.

What is telling you this will be worse?

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Not sure what you're asking.
No one (that I am aware of) saw a 40% or 50% FPS reduction during the last thing. Either the actual 'flaw', or the 'fix', or the fix for the fix.

Currently, the 'flaw' exists. It has existed in the microcode for several years. There is nothing to compare it to saying 'better'.
Any patch has not been released yet. Either rewriting the CPU microcode, or a software/OS patch.
As again, nothing to compare to.

What is telling you this will be worse?
oQAYLlMFcwhJneYA.jpg

Mostly for Hyper Threading CPU are impacted with performance hits

Non-HT CPU probably not affect as much.

I think by applying all these security patches and patching recent big security flaw. Probably would notice some Frame Rate drop in games.

FPS impact depends on what exactly is required to patch the flaw(s).
No major patches to my knowledge are available right now, so there is no way to test this.

Also, framerate depends on a lot (GPU limitations, different games needing different levels of CPU power, etc.) so it would be hard to come up with an exact figure.

Any figures said before a patch is released are purely speculative.
Don't have a meltdown over your security at risk currently. Just avoid sketchy websites.
I bet Intel will be rushing to come up with a solution for this since there is a lot of confusion over what CPUs are affected.
I don't believe ARM or AMD CPUs are vulnerable to this attack or most of Intel's major security flaws. I sure am glad I chose Ryzen over Intel.

I sincerely do not apologize about the puns - RemixIslandMusic

Last edited:

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
FPS impact depends on what exactly is required to patch the flaw(s).
No major patches to my knowledge are available right now, so there is no way to test this.

Also, framerate depends on a lot (GPU limitations, different games needing different levels of CPU power, etc.) so it would be hard to come up with an exact figure.

Any figures said before a patch is released are purely speculative.
Don't have a meltdown over your security at risk currently. Just avoid sketchy websites.
I bet Intel will be rushing to come up with a solution for this since there is a lot of confusion over what CPUs are affected.
I don't believe ARM or AMD CPUs are vulnerable to this attack or most of Intel's major security flaws. I sure am glad I chose Ryzen over Intel.

I sincerely do not apologize about the puns - RemixIslandMusic
Yup Intel is doing a good job keeping CPU`s Secured while keeping performance for gamer up the hill.

It also good i did not pick AMD or else my security would not be taken care by them and AMD would downplayed the security flaws after finding out 13 falws found.