News Intel partner offers refund for faulty Core i9-14900K CPU due to lack of stock — affected user sold off Intel hardware and switches to AMD

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
It is hilarious when some defends intel degradation isn't that bad and yet the verified and accepted RMAs already ran intel out of replacement chips 1 year after release, not to say the extended 5 years warranty
I'm still worried about a 14700 locked chip that someone I know just purchased from an OEM. What happens if it fails in year 4? Try reminding them that there's a known bug 4 years from now and that they have to honor it.

CaptRiker

Commendable
Sep 17, 2022
SOOOO glad when I built my 1st new system in 7 years last november I switched to AMD after 40 years of intel systems.. didn't want a space heater called 14900k in my small computer room.. my new Amd 7950x3d is AMAZBALLS. cpu on a 360mm AIO never goes above 75c. heck my pci 5 ssd even w/thermal pad and heatsink can hit 70c easy.

-----------------------------------
Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB Black TG
AMD 7950x3d CPU (16c/32t) (pbo)
64 gigs ddr5-6000 CL30 Corsair Vengeance RGB Memory (expo)
Asus ProArt X670E-Creator Motherboard
(2.5+10gb Ethernet ports, 2x USB4 ports)
4tb Crucial T700 Gen5 ssd (12.4GB/sec read, 11.8GB/sec write) - Boot
4tb Samsung 990 Pro Gen4 ssd (7.4GB/sec read, 6.9GB/sec write) - Data
Gigabyte RTX 4080 GAMING OC 16G Graphics Card
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT 360mm AF120-RGB Water Cooler
1000watt CORSAIR HX Series HX1000i ATX 3.0
Windows 11 Home (23h2)
-----------------------------------

Interestingly my Dell G15 LAPTOP with a 13900HX just received a BIOS update 3 days ago to "Address Intel CPU stability issues". No details beyond that. Methinks there's still more going on than has been stated.

I have updated my board with this new intel meldown update... only drawback I see the motherboard make more noise because how they operate the c1 c3 and c6... but power and benchark still the same.

Reactions: artk2219
I have updated my board with this new intel meldown update... only drawback I see the motherboard make more noise because how they operate the c1 c3 and c6... but power and benchark still the same.
Ya, I actually saw an uptick in Cinebench R23 single core, well outside margin of error. Anyway, my surprise was that this is a laptop, the mobile versions are not supposed to be affected. Granted this may be a Dell only thing where they are implementing the "official" recommended Intel settings and nothing more. Voltages did spike past 1.5V from time to time before, now it seems to be capped at 1.466V. Still gets bloody hot though, who thought jamming a full fat i9 into a laptop was a good idea anyway? I only bought it because it was cheaper to get 32GB RAM and an i9 over 16GB RAM and an i7. One of those odd Dell sales.

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
I'm still worried about a 14700 locked chip that someone I know just purchased from an OEM. What happens if it fails in year 4? Try reminding them that there's a known bug 4 years from now and that they have to honor it.
Good luck have any success on it... those OEM denial loop was when I tried my first PC build and overclocking my first AMD Athlon chip at the age of 12, that's what my long saved up pocket money can get....

And back to the topic, as there are literally millions of 13th and 14th gen with a ticking timebomb and their 5 years extended warranty... the stamp on "intel being unreliable" will stay for quite some time, IMO this is epic example of one can lose on performance, but never lose on reliability and reputation. Performance catch up in 2-3 gen usually isn't that difficult but losing reputation is deadly.

And I wonder they are facing all those 2 generation of ticking CPU issues and running out of replacement chips right now, 2 months after they admitted the issue and offer extended warranty, do they basically do a recall and refund in the form of RMA refund, or they will ramp up production of new raptor lake chips just to meet the replacement demand..... maybe making the RPL series having "the longest production cycle in modern CPU"

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
I'm here in the USA. I have a faulty 13900k intel was going to replace mine with 14900k, the last week they said I'd be getting refund instead. Intel told me they have shortage of 14900k processors
So it's literally that bad they run out of stock not only in asia, but USA...

Did intel test your 13900k or need some degradation proof before accepting your RMA? in Hong Kong that's mandated to test in their platform before the RMA is accepted

daveom

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
So it's literally that bad they run out of stock not only in asia, but USA...

Did intel test your 13900k or need some degradation proof before accepting your RMA? in Hong Kong that's mandated to test in their platform before the RMA is accepted
the only proof they asked for was just my word, blue screens every 5 minutes, and 101c thermal throttling in google image searching while using a 360 AIO. they had me run a system scan and sent them the results. my RMA was approved instantly, my 13900k is November 22 very early first release. they actually acted like they didn't know the first release 2022 processors were bad, hence the quick RMA approval

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
the only proof they asked for was just my word, blue screens every 5 minutes, and 101c thermal throttling in google image searching while using a 360 AIO. they had me run a system scan and sent them the results. my RMA was approved instantly, my 13900k is November 22 very early first release. they actually acted like they didn't know the first release 2022 processors were bad, hence the quick RMA approval
Huh, horrible RMA experience. :LOL:

pf100

Commendable
Feb 18, 2022
From the article: "Though a BIOS update can prevent further problems for unaffected units, damaged processors require physical replacement, which Intel is actively working to facilitate."

Intel never stated that microcode update 0x129, what the article calls a bios update, "can prevent further problems for unaffected units." Intel only stated that the update addressed excessive voltages and said nothing about preventing degradation. This assumption incorrectly attributed as a statement must be removed from the article. Intel is walking a tightrope here. If they lower voltages to safe levels it will lower frequencies enough to be considered false advertising which will invite (more and worse) lawsuits. What Intel did was to still keep voltages high enough to maintain advertised frequencies but only by a hair, which will slow degradation but not stop it.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219 and YSCCC

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
Sounds like it’s one of those oxidised via batches they know of, it still sucks they can only give you a refund and you have to get a new system build

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
From the article: "Though a BIOS update can prevent further problems for unaffected units, damaged processors require physical replacement, which Intel is actively working to facilitate."

Intel never stated that microcode update 0x129, what the article calls a bios update, "can prevent further problems for unaffected units." Intel only stated that the update addressed excessive voltages and said nothing about preventing degradation. This assumption incorrectly attributed as a statement must be removed from the article. Intel is walking a tightrope here. If they lower voltages to safe levels it will lower frequencies enough to be considered false advertising which will invite (more and worse) lawsuits. What Intel did was to still keep voltages high enough to maintain advertised frequencies but only by a hair, which will slow degradation but not stop it.
I bet they still not sure was those fixes so far a real fix. Sounded like a reliability test at the end of life for a product

pf100

Commendable
Feb 18, 2022
The person who purchased the OEM cpu can contact the OEM for a refund and if they won't then contact Intel for a refund. Intel is replacing and refunding OEM parts now. Then he can buy a 12th gen cpu that won't die.

daveom

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
Sounds like it’s one of those oxidised via batches they know of, it still sucks they can only give you a refund and you have to get a new system build
yes, that's what I think also. they were sure quick to approve the RMA. I sent email, then like 10 minutes later they did system scan, then approved. using my 12700k now. so at least I can still use the system.

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
yes, that's what I think also. they were sure quick to approve the RMA. I sent email, then like 10 minutes later they did system scan, then approved. using my 12700k now. so at least I can still use the system.
Great for you!

My personal big regret was when I bought the 14900k for in socket upgrade, I gave away the 12700KF for a poor friend, so he could get a DDR4 mobo and use the good to go 12700KF for a small upgrade. Now if my 14900k dies, time to ditch the whole platform

Jun 13, 2024
Ya, I actually saw an uptick in Cinebench R23 single core, well outside margin of error. Anyway, my surprise was that this is a laptop, the mobile versions are not supposed to be affected.
HX series might be impacted due to them being full desktop dies (it's a 13900k binned for efficiency). However this of course depends on implementation, there have been reports of 13/14 HX series experiencing degradation already.