News Intel partner offers refund for faulty Core i9-14900K CPU due to lack of stock — affected user sold off Intel hardware and switches to AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
HX series might be impacted due to them being full desktop dies (it's a 13900k binned for efficiency). However this of course depends on implementation, there have been reports of 13/14 HX series experiencing degradation already.
I bet they arn't even sure as at this point it basically proves they just started to do longevity test for 13 and 14 gen recently, those affected and not affected SKU list is very likely BS/ educated guess when pressed by the management and PR team, something like this:

Boss: you have to quickly give me a list of dying and safe SKU list
Engineer: Er... but we only just started to test and investigate the dead samples..
Boss: I don't F care, give me a list by end of tomorrow with some reason of the trouble
Enginner: er... still not sure, but likely excessive voltage
Boss: so give the line of safety, NOW
Engineer: hum~ from the VR curve and VID table likely the i5 and above with 65W+ rating is surely affected, the rest will still need to be proved and investigated..
Boss: Enough, we will just say everything below 13th gen i5 is safe.

Sure this is a evil joke with sarcasm. But in real life if one works in any profession, very likely you'll be facing something more or less similar, and ended up unsurprisingly be a pool of S, when the whole RPL is likely a desperate move to release to be competative without proper validation through management pressure, it would be too surprised that those ensuring messages are an even more desperate effort of damage control with less proven fact than it sounds to be

dalek1234

Honorable
Sep 27, 2019
This article has at least one misinformation:
"BIOS update can prevent further problems for unaffected units"
needs changing to:
"BIOS update MIGHT prevent further problems for SOME unaffected units...and those might still fail but at a later date"

BIOS update doesn't solve the complete problem, it only mitigates it somewhat. At the very least, the CPU needs a redesign to fix the problem

Reactions: artk2219
I wonder what the sales figures for 12th gen looks like at this point, they're still pretty widely available, and they don't seem to be affected by the same issues as their 13th and 14th gen counterparts. At the very least it lets you put something in the empty socket of your LGA 1700 motherboard that should work. It is a bit sad though, prior to this whole mess, LGA 1700 was shaping up to be the best socket Intel had released since LGA 775 in terms of supported chips and longevity. I still generally like the platform, but its now just so much more limited in what you would want to use it for until everything is verified as resolved for 13th and 14th gen chips.

m3city

Reputable
Sep 17, 2020
This is still a mystery to me, what actually happens with these CPUs. A second question pops up my mind - where is TerryLaze?!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
LGA 1700 was shaping up to be the best socket Intel had released since LGA 775 in terms of supported chips and longevity. I still generally like the platform, but its now just so much more limited in what you would want to use it for until everything is verified as resolved for 13th and 14th gen chips.

One more chip series coming supposedly in the form of Bartlett Lake, unless it gets canceled in all these cutbacks. First time Intel has done 4 series on a compatible socket outside of HEDT I think.

One more chip series coming supposedly in the form of Bartlett Lake, unless it gets canceled in all these cutbacks. First time Intel has done 4 series on a compatible socket outside of HEDT I think.
Hopefully they don't cancel it. It would be nice to see it ride off into the sunset with a decent CPU that is a good value proposition. But I also get that maybe they may need to use the manufacturing capacity from it for RMA's or for fixed versions of the affected 13th and 14th gen chips.

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
Hopefully they don't cancel it. It would be nice to see it ride off into the sunset with a decent CPU that is a good value proposition. But I also get that maybe they may need to use the manufacturing capacity from it for RMA's or for fixed versions of the affected 13th and 14th gen chips.
Or maybe at this time they will try to push to the next platform and hope others forget the LGA1700 raptor lake disaster

Or maybe at this time they will try to push to the next platform and hope others forget the LGA1700 raptor lake disaster
That is potentially not a bad idea either, but it'll depend on how meteor lake plays out. If it is less than stellar, Intel would possibly be in a bit of a bind for a while. They would actually be in a very similar situation to where AMD was with Phenom or FX.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
For the past couple of months we've been told intel is rejecting RMAs left and right by the "objective" vocal tech "fans" of the internet. Turns out Intel is accepting so many RMAs they literally run out of stock and are have to refund....hilarious how wrong some people have been the last couple of months. I've been saying it all along but yeah, those "objective" fans weren't listening.

People only focus on the high end stuff.
I'am very happy with the 14600T low tdp monster.
Works great on power saver 1.77W. The motherboard draw almost ten times more.
Lga1700 has the good, The ugly and the Bad...
With a push of button can set the cpu to eat 75w or more. Kicking hard all other cpus at the market.

May 28, 2024
SOOOO glad when I built my 1st new system in 7 years last november I switched to AMD after 40 years of intel systems.. didn't want a space heater called 14900k in my small computer room.. my new Amd 7950x3d is AMAZBALLS. cpu on a 360mm AIO never goes above 75c. heck my pci 5 ssd even w/thermal pad and heatsink can hit 70c easy.

-----------------------------------
Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB Black TG
AMD 7950x3d CPU (16c/32t) (pbo)
64 gigs ddr5-6000 CL30 Corsair Vengeance RGB Memory (expo)
Asus ProArt X670E-Creator Motherboard
(2.5+10gb Ethernet ports, 2x USB4 ports)
4tb Crucial T700 Gen5 ssd (12.4GB/sec read, 11.8GB/sec write) - Boot
4tb Samsung 990 Pro Gen4 ssd (7.4GB/sec read, 6.9GB/sec write) - Data
Gigabyte RTX 4080 GAMING OC 16G Graphics Card
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT 360mm AF120-RGB Water Cooler
1000watt CORSAIR HX Series HX1000i ATX 3.0
Windows 11 Home (23h2)
-----------------------------------
Nice setup! I'm planning a build with a 7000 series SKU soon. I'm just waiting to see what Battlemage brings and how it compares to Nvidia 4070ti class cards. I'm cautiously hopeful BM can be competitive.

I'm upgrading from a MoDT mini PC with a Ryzen 6900hx. So I think an 8c/16t should be good for my workflow. But damn, looking at the 16c prices of 7000 series I'm wondering if that would be overkill or not. I might just go with a 7950 lol...

Eitherway just going from a mobile 8c to a DT 8c should bring a lot of performance uplift.

Reactions: artk2219 and YSCCC

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
Nice setup! I'm planning a build with a 7000 series SKU soon. I'm just waiting to see what Battlemage brings and how it compares to Nvidia 4070ti class cards. I'm cautiously hopeful BM can be competitive.

I'm upgrading from a MoDT mini PC with a Ryzen 6900hx. So I think an 8c/16t should be good for my workflow. But damn, looking at the 16c prices of 7000 series I'm wondering if that would be overkill or not. I might just go with a 7950 lol...

Eitherway just going from a mobile 8c to a DT 8c should bring a lot of performance uplift.
Battlemage might be in difficulty as Intel would likely heavily inclining it's resources to tidy up the RPL mess, and hopefully successfully launch ARL and LNL.

8C should actually be sufficient for most workloads except the heavily threaded rendering or video encoding, and if you do mostly gaming stuffs, just get X3D might be the best option available now

May 28, 2024
Battlemage might be in difficulty as Intel would likely heavily inclining it's resources to tidy up the RPL mess, and hopefully successfully launch ARL and LNL.

8C should actually be sufficient for most workloads except the heavily threaded rendering or video encoding, and if you do mostly gaming stuffs, just get X3D might be the best option available now
I don't primarily game. I'm looking at X SKUs for my workflow. And I know I would t need a 12 or 16c CPU. But I'm a tech geek.... Lol
I already have a PS5 and SD for gaming. I will do a bit in my PC, but I'm not focused on it. I prefer the higher clocks on X SKUs over higher cache on X3D. I have my PC running and crunching numbers a lot for tracking my investments and such. Faster vs gaming does help the time it takes to run certain scenarios in my software.

Elusive Ruse

Respectable
Nov 17, 2022
I don't primarily game. I'm looking at X SKUs for my workflow. And I know I would t need a 12 or 16c CPU. But I'm a tech geek.... Lol
I already have a PS5 and SD for gaming. I will do a bit in my PC, but I'm not focused on it. I prefer the higher clocks on X SKUs over higher cache on X3D. I have my PC running and crunching numbers a lot for tracking my investments and such. Faster vs gaming does help the time it takes to run certain scenarios in my software.
I would recommend the 7950X, I have been daily driving one for over a year now and it easily takes care of all my MT workloads. I game at 4K which basically removes any advantage the other CPUs have over it in gaming.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
LGA 1700 was shaping up to be the best socket Intel had released since LGA 775 in terms of supported chips and longevity. I still generally like the platform, but its now just so much more limited in what you would want to use it for until everything is verified as resolved for 13th and 14th gen chips.
I count 14th gen as a half-generation, since all they did was tweak the specs and some microcode. It's literally the same silicon as 13th gen.

As for LGA 1700, I'll say this: by the end of its life, there are PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSDs aplenty, but still no PCIe 5.0 x8 or x16 cards that regular desktop users would buy. So, Intel basically got it backwards, with their idea of having PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots and PCIe 5.0 add-in-card slots. So, that and the whole socket-bending affair are two strikes against LGA 1700.

One good thing I'll say about it is that I didn't expect them to keep the DMI link at PCIe 4.0 x8. That's double the south bridge bandwidth of what AM5 has.

One more chip series coming supposedly in the form of Bartlett Lake, unless it gets canceled in all these cutbacks.
Yeah, I hope it still happens. If, for no other reason, just to satisfy my curiosity about what it is and why they thought it made sense to do.

First time Intel has done 4 series on a compatible socket outside of HEDT I think.
There were a couple motherboards that supported all the way from Skylake to Coffee Lake Refresh. However, I'm pretty sure they were launched in the Coffee Lake era, so they don't really count.

Hopefully they don't cancel it. It would be nice to see it ride off into the sunset with a decent CPU that is a good value proposition.
Since it has some all P-core dies, it'd be interesting if they enabled AVX-512 on it. The again, they could've enabled AVX-512 on the Xeon E-2400 series (which were also all-P and based on the Raptor Lake die), but they didn't.

Last edited:

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
I count 14th gen as a half-generation, since all they did was tweak the specs and some microcode. It's literally the same silicon as 13th gen.

As for LGA 1700, I'll say this: by the end of its life, there are PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSDs aplenty, but still no PCIe 5.0 x8 or x16 cards that regular desktop users would buy. So, Intel basically got it backwards, with their idea of having PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots and PCIe 5.0 add-in-card slots. So, that and the whole socket-bending affair are two strikes against LGA 1700.

One good thing I'll say about it is that I didn't expect them to keep the DMI link at PCIe 4.0 x8. That's double the south bridge bandwidth of what AM5 has.

Yeah, I hope it still happens. If, for no other reason, just to satisfy my curiosity about what it is and why they thought it made sense to do.

There were a couple motherboards that supported all the way from Skylake to Coffee Lake Refresh. However, I'm pretty sure they were launched in the Coffee Lake era, so they don't really count.

Since it has some all P-core dies, it'd be interesting if they enabled AVX-512 on it. The again, they could've enabled AVX-512 on the Xeon E-2400 series (which were also all-P and based on the Raptor Lake die), but they didn't.
For Bartlett lake I am more curious if the 12P core version will be faster than 14900k in multithread performance, like CB R23/2024.

But then I wonder in the wake of the no replacement available situation, even if they release such SKU it will be the upgrade/downgrade replacement rather than hitting the shelve for considerable time

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024

I agree with the 14th gen being a nothing burger (except the 14700k), I completely disagree with the bending issue being an issue at all. It's just pure nonsense. Aftermarket solutions like the brackets or other similar stuff have been in existence for many many many years, that offer better thermals than whatever stock configuration your mobo and cpu comes with. They also exist for AMD btw, and I can assure you, using an aftermarket IHS on zen 5 drops temperatures a hella lot more than what an aftermarket bracket does for Intel.

In fact I have an aftermarket bracket, used it on 2 different mobos and 3 different CPUs, couldn't tell any difference so it's sitting on a shelf somewhere cause it's useless. Most of the reports I've seen from other people are also talking about a 3-5C drop in temperature, but that's mostly on AIOs that have a flat plate, contrary to my aircooler which is convex (which might explain why I don't see any difference).

For Bartlett lake I am more curious if the 12P core version will be faster than 14900k in multithread performance, like CB R23/2024.
Pretty easy to answer that question: no it won't unless the power limits are really high or they made some sort of breakthrough power consumption wise.
I completely disagree with the bending issue being an issue at all. It's just pure nonsense.
You can disagree all you want, but the pressure is higher than previous client sockets and it's centered on a rectangular shape. It's a bad design which generally only has immediate issues on boards without what I'd consider to be enough layers. I certainly wouldn't (and didn't for my single LGA1700) put together a system intended for long term use without using one.

This is not to say that there's any cooling benefit from using a bracket because there really shouldn't be in most cases.

YSCCC

Notable
Dec 10, 2022
Pretty easy to answer that question: no it won't unless the power limits are really high or they made some sort of breakthrough power consumption wise.

You can disagree all you want, but the pressure is higher than previous client sockets and it's centered on a rectangular shape. It's a bad design which generally only has immediate issues on boards without what I'd consider to be enough layers. I certainly wouldn't (and didn't for my single LGA1700) put together a system intended for long term use without using one.

This is not to say that there's any cooling benefit from using a bracket because there really shouldn't be in most cases.
Actually I think afaik the gradual bending of the cpu through heat cycles did make things worse, if one uses normal thermal paste and not Liquid Metal, with power limit set to Intel POR my old 12700KF (didn’t even know or any contact frame was out before I’ve been using it daily for like half a year) during R23 even with undervolting individual cores did occasionally hit 100C and thermal throttle with a NH-U12A, then I bought a 14900k with same setup, Intel por, though undervolted (after UV it’s still 0.7mV higher than in 12700kf), the spike peak temp during r23 10m run goes down to 96C and no more thermal throttle. The lack of thick paste layer at the center really helps. And it prevents those long term slightly warped cpu pcb also.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
No. That's exactly the sort of thing it'll be worse at. 16 E-cores > 4 P-cores, on MT tasks.

Assuming the P-cores are just Raptor Cove and it's made on Intel 7, the main use case for it will be gaming. I think the chiplet-based nature of Arrow Lake might make it difficult for Intel to offer a compelling gaming CPU at lower price points, hence the option to use Bartlett Lake + DDR4 as a lower-cost gaming option. It's just a guess, though. It hard for me to see why else they'd do Bartlett Lake.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think they were official products either. At least not consumer off the shelf. Lots of harvested chip boards with custom BIOS to allow several chips on older chipsets.

I was very tempted to try out the Coffeelake mods on my Z270 board, but I ended up just having my 7700k get re-used until its retirement.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024

If there is no cooling benefit then what's the point and where is the issue? I've been using my system without one from Nov 2021, still nothing to report.