News Intel quietly launches new 14th-Gen CPUs without E-cores — flagship Core i9-14901KE flaunts eight P-cores and a 5.8 GHz boost clock

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
No, disabling E-cores has already been tried. Doesn't fix it. In fact, it seems to help even less than limiting DRAM speeds.
It could be different than disabling them in software, if the problem is with specific portions of L3 cache on the die, or some other portion that would get completely disabled in these.

All we really know for sure is that Intel has a big mess on their hands.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
It could be different than disabling them in software, if the problem is with specific portions of L3 cache on the die, or some other portion that would get completely disabled in these.
Given that disabling E-cores in BIOS will boost your ring bus frequency (on Alder Lake, at least), I doubt there's any further benefit to be had by fusing them off. That would seem to imply that disabling them in BIOS will also disable their L3 slices.

Weirdly, Alder Lake-N has the L3 cache decoupled from the E-core clusters. I think you get 6 MB in all SKUs, regardless of how many cores are enabled. Look closely, right below the block labelled "Processor Transaction Router":

h4_blockdiagram_rev0.1.png

Last edited:
What's interesting about these parts when compared to the Xeons is that they still have all of the L3 despite not having the E-cores. Wonder if this is just binning leftovers from RPL/RPL-R because they seem like fairly odd parts.

Reactions: bit_user

m3city

Reputable
Sep 17, 2020
I am thinking which brave person will buy it considering the existing issue with Raptor Lake processors that’s still ongoing now? Instead of providing their client an explanation and resolution, Intel double down on releasing new Raptor Lake SKUs.
Get out of your pro bubble man;). People are not aware of that particular issue, and don't give a crap about it. Even ones that build systems on their own. It has been scientifically proven, that most decisions we make, are basen on what our guts tell us, and if someone wants to build a new computer, is ready to spend $$, then one will assume that this new processor will be definitelly good, will run just fine (even if someone somewhere reported some issues - these happen, not here with me). Just look at how popular google and android are, despite beeing crap from user rights point of view. People don't care about that as long as they are provided with services that are perceived good and usefull.

I personally (and guess you as well) will discourage any potential spender to put their money on intel right now. But our sphere of influence is limited - unless you drive purchase department in a company or advisory group. I tried to persuade colleguas at my company, guys who deal with Blender, but with no effect - they requested 14900K.

Edit: I find those embedded CPUs interesting. But I like ready to run, embedded solutions.

zsydeepsky

Great
Oct 12, 2023
No, disabling E-cores has already been tried. Doesn't fix it. In fact, it seems to help even less than limiting DRAM speeds.

I saw some rumor suggests the CPU was unstable because they were oxidated. in another words, the cpu's metal circuits got rusty.

if that's the case, then it's guaranteed they will deteriorate further with time passes by.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
What's interesting about these parts when compared to the Xeons is that they still have all of the L3 despite not having the E-cores.
Oops. I missed that. Not only do they have more than 3 MiB per P-core, but then it's like the i7's disabled one E-core's L3 slice and the i5's disabled 2.

Okay, so then I'm not sure if these are indeed materially different than disabling E-cores in BIOS.

Reactions: thestryker

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
People are not aware of that particular issue, and don't give a crap about it. Even ones that build systems on their own. It has been scientifically proven, that most decisions we make, are basen on what our guts tell us,
Okay, let's consider cars. When buying a car, there's what you want, and there's what you believe makes sense. Sometimes, they align. Other times, they don't. As you said, some people will go ahead and buy that sports car or truck that's expensive to maintain, has high insurance premiums, and/or poor reliability. However, a lot of people value reliability and simply won't buy a car that will prematurely start breaking.

I tried to persuade colleguas at my company, guys who deal with Blender, but with no effect - they requested 14900K.
But it's not their money. And if their machine starts failing, it's presumably someone else's problem to fix.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I saw some rumor suggests the CPU was unstable because they were oxidated. in another words, the cpu's metal circuits got rusty.
Rust is specifically iron oxide. I believe it wasn't iron that was oxidizing.

BTW, did you know that oxidization which occurs fast enough is called "fire"? I think there's even a type of explosive or bomb that uses iron nanoparticles.

Reactions: zsydeepsky