Intel Reveals 16 New Sandy Bridge CPUs & Price Cuts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Core i7-2960XM $ 1,096 2.7 GHz - Core i7 2860QM $ 568 2.5 GHZ

That's a bit of a mark-up for an extra 200MHz (8% faster CPU - 0% faster GPU), Yikes.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sticking with my Q9650@3.6GHz for now.
The real price reduction will happen when AMD will release their Zambezi CPUs.
At that point Intel would have to do a drastic price reduction of their top range CPUs, or release new faster models, or most probably both.

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]bullcrap, no 2500k price cut....ill just keep waiting for bulldozer then....its only a couple more weeks....... And what is the crap with all the suffix letters? why would i pay the same for a 2500t as a 2500s?.... oh, and wheres the K edition i3's? Intel, your giving me nothing that i want and your naming convention is up sh*t creek.[/citation]

If they add discount, it would be $10-12 OFF.

Is that decisive faktor for u to wait??? I don't think so...

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
The comments tell how small of the population enthusiast community like TH represents.

The CPUs listed are there are FAR more popular than the "K" chips you buy. Another example is the mobile, which now takes 60% of the market, and is up there too.

Enthusiasts are important. But their opinions are still ridiculous.

What about Bulldozer? Delays are NEVER good for CPUs.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]then why does the C2D and C2Q still hover around $200 for the better performing but now 4 years old chips.?![/citation]

so that people don't buy them and move to the newer chips.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know i wish intel would stick to 1 name and 1 number per chip

sandy bridge - 1000
that is the first model that comes out, and is the base line standard
sandy bridge - 500
basicly the i5 version
sandy bridge - 250
the i3 version
and
sandy bridge - 2000
that is the extreme eddition.

than every other chip they make will show how good it is in numbers instead of the crap they have now.

a new chip line well you change the name

ivy bridge - 1000

you get my point, its just 1 of the things that amd does right with their cpus, its hard to get confused even if you know nothing about a computer, tought my little brother a few years back.

verbalizer

Distinguished

didn't think about that, good point...
but you would also think that depletion of the older technology (sales) will also bring in finances (money)...

kriswone

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
AMD APU's beat Intel's APU's inside and out.

You get an APU to Watch Video's and Listen to Music, And Playing some* Games. AMD does this better for less.

The only reason to buy an Intel APU is because you are a diehard fan or you were misdirected.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Intel has left me completely boggled. The amount of research I would have to put in to be sure of what I am getting is crazy. You can get a Core iSomenumber, but it may have HT, maybe not. It may have lots of L3 or maybe not.

Call me stupid or simpleminded, but I'd like to know, by the chip designation, what I am really getting.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]Lol.... another 1K$ processor?????????????????What are they thinking of? and to top it all 16 new ones......? people have barely been able to try out the few that they dished out since Jan....[/citation]
The $1,000 processor is a high-end mobile model; that price range isn't unheard of.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I'm a little boggled at the negative feedback to this article. Intel introduces more models, more choice, and the crowd that is most likely to pick and choose specific parts on custom PCs doesn't like it?! Hell, you can even take the other road and say it's a response to Bulldozer coming out soon; still good news for you!

The chart up there makes it stupidly easy for you to pick among these new models if you want to build something based on any of these chips. There are plenty of other charts to help you that will include these chips soon along with the ones that are already out. This is not a bad thing.

the i5-2330 might be a challenge to the i5-2400 in a budget gamer now ($177 vs $190), with only a 100 MHz difference.

the Celeron G530T at $47 and 2 GHz, paired with a cheap H61 board can be a challenge to Athlon II at the bottom end of the market - basic office, htpc, the desktop for your parents, etc.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]eltoro[/nom]I'm sticking with my Q9650@3.6GHz for now.The real price reduction will happen when AMD will release their Zambezi CPUs.At that point Intel would have to do a drastic price reduction of their top range CPUs, or release new faster models, or most probably both.[/citation]
You must be running overclocked, is it cool and stable at 3.6? Have the same CPU, stock is 3GHz. I'm sticking with my Q9650 & GTX 560Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.