Intel Shipping Revised Cougar Point Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
That was much faster than I expected. Closing the door on AMD's chance to capitalize on this mistake. Still can't wait to see what real world performance Bulldozer brings to the market.

G

"Some retailers have had to take things off their shelves, so they call us to ask what they could get from our OEMs that's similar. And OEMs are asking us for product, as well"

I read that and I just keep thinking that AMD doesnt make anything similar to sandybridge.

This says nothing about quantities that will actually be available. This could be a "paper fix" just to slow the bleeding to AMD. For most people and many tasks, Intel's performance superiority just doesn't matter. Side by side, Intel wins hands down, but if AMD is the only game in town, buyers are still getting something decent.
But, what happened to 1156? Did it simply dry up, because that's also a perfectly valid choice, and still performs better than AMD.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]This says nothing about quantities that will actually be available. This could be a "paper fix" just to slow the bleeding to AMD. For most people and many tasks, Intel's performance superiority just doesn't matter. Side by side, Intel wins hands down, but if AMD is the only game in town, buyers are still getting something decent.But, what happened to 1156? Did it simply dry up, because that's also a perfectly valid choice, and still performs better than AMD.[/citation]

Agree. AMD doesn't have anything out right now that is on par with sandy bridge (at least just when you consider performance). I don't see how this is boosting AMD sales when socket 1156 still has a very slight edge over existing AMD platforms. Maybe this flaw in the intel processors hurt their image more than I thought. Maybe customers don't think they are as reliable. Who knows...

I would definitely wait before building a computer though. I would definitely wait for sandy bridge to get back in stores, and if you can hold off long enough, maybe even wait for bulldozer.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Agree. AMD doesn't have anything out right now that is on par with sandy bridge (at least just when you consider performance). I don't see how this is boosting AMD sales when socket 1156 still has a very slight edge over existing AMD platforms. Maybe this flaw in the intel processors hurt their image more than I thought. Maybe customers don't think they are as reliable. Who knows...I would definitely wait before building a computer though. I would definitely wait for sandy bridge to get back in stores, and if you can hold off long enough, maybe even wait for bulldozer.[/citation]
Or maybe AMD is bluffing. This is an excellent PR opportunity for them. I'd take their comments about increased business with a grain of salt.

When the financial statements come out for Q1 we'll see how much of an impact this issue really had on both companies.[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]This says nothing about quantities that will actually be available. This could be a "paper fix" just to slow the bleeding to AMD.[/citation]
Come on, really? This is a chip that was already produced in volume. It sounds like production was halted, the mask was fixed and hit resume. They probably reused the samples before the faulty step.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I found gold in Wisconsin any way so my GA-P67A-UD3P will be here tomorrow or Monday, one of the two. The new ones will start shipping on 2/16 from etailers from what I heard today from my source.

I actually posted that on Techpowerup today.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]I found gold in Wisconsin any way so my GA-P67A-UD3P will be here tomorrow or Monday, one of the two. The new ones will start shipping on 2/16 from etailers from what I heard today from my source.I actually posted that on Techpowerup today.[/citation]
Sweet, so we could expect to find the new rev. cougar point's online on the 16th of this month?

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
its pretty impressive to see Intel go so quickly from realizing they had a problem to fixing the problem -- most other companies seem to just flounder about a while before admitting anything. While they clearly aren't perfect, you gotta respect em.

that said, I want my chocolate cake now dammit.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
They're shipping them out on the fourteenth right? Do you actually think that Intel doesn't have enough money to get these things to their locations in one or two days after shipping on the fourteenth?

I think that this website is accurate arrival time wise which is what I had posted on techpowerup. This was an email sent to me from an etailer in regards to an 1155 motherboard.

Hello Timothy,

The Asus Maximus IV Extreme motherboard I quoted you is actually $365.00 shipping included and no tax. It is scheduled to arrive 02/16/2011. Direct link: http://esolsticeinc.com/maximus-iv-extreme-motherboard-p-625.html The Intel 6 series boards are being updated daily I’ll keep you posted on any new developments. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Eliel Ortiz

Phone: 954.625.7422 | e-mail: info@esolsticeinc.com | Website: http://www.esolsticeinc.com

@ Kaori cpu

I think I bought the last GA-P67A-UD3P they had but it was at, I pmed you.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]That was much faster than I expected. Closing the door on AMD's chance to capitalize on this mistake. Still can't wait to see what real world performance Bulldozer brings to the market.[/citation]
so you're saying you've fully tested and vetted this new revision?
i think i'll let other people take the blind leap and wait a year or so to see just how extensive a problem this is going to be. no SLI so why bother.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Good One Intel,for at least being efficient in getting the B3 stepping out so much more quicker then I thought it would take them :) ...Bad luck though,because it is for OEM's only and not for the retail boxed market yet :fou: ...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
To add to my comment above,I was one of those that decided to return my Asus P8P67 Deluxe to the retailer that I originally bought it from & I got a core i7 870 & still deciding on which H55 chipset to get :) ...I also got one core i7 2600k as well as the core i7 2600 which I still have...The core i7 2600 I bought from the same retailer that I returned the mainboard to & the other I bought through eBay overseas from the U.S.A.(core i7 2600k)...I am keeping these so I can quickly use them as soon as the retail boxed cougar chipsets are ready to ship once again with a new revision :) ...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Beware to all those that are readers of these posts from Australia...There are a lot of online stores & walkin PC hardware stores that have still got these cougar chipset motherboards advertised on their sites & have no mention of the cougar chipset problems at all mentioned on their same sites :fou: ...The store that I returned to was D & D and they still do not mention that their is a problem with these cougar chipsets on their site yet :fou: ...So I doubt that I will be buying any of the cougar chipsets that are repaired from there in case they are just going to sell the old ones still & just do returns to the manufacturer if they have to,because of a fault within the 1 year warranty period :pt1cable: ...I may go online & search overseas like the U.S.A. for these mainboards when they have the repaired ones for sale...Also I did not know about the problem of the faulty chipsets until I saw it on the news on TV...There are quite a lot of people out there that buy these faulty pc's or buy the faulty chipset parts & do not know what is going on yet...The reason why I say this,is because even I do not visit these sites all the time because of work obligations I have very little time to spare :ouch: ...Remember when buying a new cougar chipset board,make sure that you get one with a new revision number on it & not the same old revision number that came out with the original cougar chipset boards ;) ,remember check :) ...

G

Just because you cannot get Sandy Bridge until April does not mean that you absolutely need to jump on AMD's bandwagon. The Core i7-950 effectively kills off all Phenom II X6 CPUs in the Passmark CPU benchmark list. You could simply upgrade the RAM to add to the PC's speed and cover the performance spread between the LGA 1366 and LGA 1155 platforms.

banzaigtv

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Just because you cannot get Sandy Bridge until April does not mean that you absolutely need to jump on AMD's bandwagon. The Core i7-950 effectively kills off all Phenom II X6 CPUs in the Passmark CPU benchmark list. You could simply upgrade the RAM to add to the PC's speed and cover the performance spread between the LGA 1366 and LGA 1155 platforms.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]joelmartinez[/nom]Wonder if it OC better, probably not but a 5.6ghz on water 24/7 would be awesome 6ghz even better[/citation]
The problem is with SATA 2 ports, this won't have any effect on overclocking. Nobody will notice anything different at all because the problem with the SATA ports wouldn't even be noticeable for a few years after use. This is all just preemptive on Intel's part.

I still don't get why some people are crying so much about this issue, how many people need to use all of their SATA ports anyway? The SATA 3 ports don't suffer from this problem and if you have a 3rd party controller as I do then it's even less of an issue. But hey, free replacement, I'll take it.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]banzaigtv[/nom]Just because you cannot get Sandy Bridge until April does not mean that you absolutely need to jump on AMD's bandwagon. The Core i7-950 effectively kills off all Phenom II X6 CPUs in the Passmark CPU benchmark list. You could simply upgrade the RAM to add to the PC's speed and cover the performance spread between the LGA 1366 and LGA 1155 platforms.[/citation]
These threats people make about jumping to AMD is a bunch of Bologna. Bulldozer isn't even out yet so anybody jumping to AMD is going to be buying outdated chips that perform horrible compared to Sandy Bridge. We don't even know how Bulldozer will perform compared to these Sandy Bridge chips but we also have to realize we would be comparing AMDs 'enthusiast' chips to Intels 'mainstream' chips...a bit of apples and oranges.

Nobody is seriously going to ditch Intel over this issue, and I'm sure most people who want the best of the best are waiting for Intels high end chips and wouldn't even bother looking at P67 chips anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.