Intel Short Movie Shows Horrors of HDDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting thing about this is that the data on the failure rates of HDDs and SSDs shows that on the whole, it's about the same. Intel's a bit ahead (around 1%, IIRC, compared to 3% for most SSDs and HDDs), but certainly not by the margin this seems to imply.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, BACKUP!!!!

marquis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
i have to agree with the other posters , i've never had a hard drive go down on me . Also i have a few computers from back in the day one of them is from 1980 something and it still works ok ...

for the price of one of the larger SSD's i can buy a 1 TB external hard drive , load it with all of my memories and go shove it in a closet for 20 years and still have enough money to buy 2 or 3 TB's of hard drive ..

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]MEH. boring as f**k video[/citation]
i agree, i watched the first 20 secs, skipped ahead i was so bored, skipped again, video looked so lame i had more fun commenting on how lame it was.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]i agree, i watched the first 20 secs, skipped ahead i was so bored, skipped again, video looked so lame i had more fun commenting on how lame it was.[/citation]

I didn't even watch the video but I know it's marketing crap. HDDs are reliable, cheap and have lots of storage space. That's why they're not going anywhere yet.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Most data losses (at the domestic level) happen because of software issues (data corruption, viruses, trojans, ....) or human stupidity (acidentally deleting, formatting, ... some data, partition, ...).

No SSD and no RAID 61 will protect you from that. Only protection is ....
BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP

Its a real shame that a computer company LIES its potential customers (well, while it is not strictly a lie, spreading misinformation implying that data is secure on a SSD may be even more devastating than lies). INTEL deserves to be sued by every SSD user in the world that losses his precious data stored in a SSD.

G

ok let me get this rigth intel wants what in next few years:

1:no usb
2:no normal drive drives
3 no video cards(if a video card be on board it be there own or both of other companys at same time)
4:people buy into idea 12 diff tirm level of with some options in diff cpu level missing option like v/t or sse4 missing on some chips.

personally i see issue with all that this don't give oem companys choice and or customers do what intel wants or else.

I still love way amd got trashed talk back in day for having this socket a 754 939 and 940 boards days.

and my favour all time laugh is this one.

People get so passion on video card makers like they are god but here what get me EA epic and others have been draw into battle of video cards to point that they just going with flow.

No Ti company should be aloud do that no company should be aloud have more then 40% of games in market with logo of one of video card where ftc when ya need them.

Fact 1 video cards go in cycles today amd is crown tomorrow other company some video cards just rush job get to market and others fill in gap.

fact 2 This one needs be clear up so we not have war about this or that about a cpu or video card real facts on table not personal views like oh bad drivers or such.

I for one own intel and amd cpus now and in pass and my motherbords are nforce 4 and nforce 5 base both are disable even tho there updated ones can run x6 core cpu and dell e6650.have older 780g board from asus that i broke .

my wish list.
slow down pace of video cards to 2 year apart amd for one have 4 gen in just 3 years and other copmany once thing get back will have same.
This will fix those issues with both company and customers will be more happy and we not get into driver issues wars both hint have.

2:wish those ti companys stop acting like kids all ready AMD won't say much about there next things they coming out or if ya ask them about something thats not in market place on new idea. Or intel and NV bully tatics ftc really need crack down.Biggest reason all lies that out there just ask ID epic and ea.

i can't tell you how many times i read in games demos silly things in game notes make me laugh here one for ya

I once download a demo I did read what full game would have needed to play anyways ask your this one.

if a game needs only 16 meg video card and works on a video card that is 512megs of same company then why a 128 meg card can't of same brand.

both intel and AMD need have there logo on more games to this where FTC need get on act protect customers and get real truth out there sorry intel AMD and NV but you 3 need a slap.

Sorry for my bad english.

side note this one few site i get my news from keep up good work

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]Obviously Intel would be all about warning of "the dangers of HDDs." As it would happen, Intel doesn't make HDDs at all, and they have a vested interest in selling SSDs, given their status as one of the market leaders there.Still, the stability of SSDs over HDDs is overblown... Especially given their maximum read-write lifecycles, which *WILL* be an issue for those who often say "use an HDD for data, and an SSD for the OS/swapfile." That "swapfile" use could very readily burn out your SSD in a reasonable timeframe. Lastly, of course, comes the issue of price: $220US or so will get you a reliable, good 128GB SSD... Or you could go for pure capacity in a single device and buy a 2TB hard drive, with ~8 times the capacity, for slightly cheaper. Or alternatively, a comparable amount would buy, say, 4 1 TB hard drives, which you could then put into RAID and get what will be better reliability than a single SSD anyway... And if it's RAID 5, then you're looking at 3 TB, with good speed too.[/citation]

to burn through a ssd write limit... not happening for advrage user, which is what the dad apparently was.

for an 80gb drive, it would take 10 years almost of constant, 80gb daily writes to kill it off.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]marquis[/nom]i have to agree with the other posters , i've never had a hard drive go down on me . ..[/citation]

Ummm...sorry dude, but that sentence caught my attention...lol

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
SSD is getting cheaper ALONG with HDD...!!
Lets just say 1TB SSD will be come $80 in the future, may be in that future we can afford 10 or 20TB HDD at the same cost!!
maybe .. if the HDD not die soon enough...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I didn't even watch the video but I know it's marketing crap. HDDs are reliable, cheap and have lots of storage space. That's why they're not going anywhere yet.[/citation]
HDD reliable? I'm sorry to disapoint you folks. I've worked with PCs for 13 years and I've seen hundreds of dead HDDs, most of them used by normal PC users. Though poor quality PSU and the lack of UPS are to blame for several of them I can grant you that HDD is anything but safe.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
That video certainly caught me off guard.
Wasn't going to watch what i thought would be a boring and long silly video, glad I did though.

atuk

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Until SSDs become affordable to the mass market and at per with HDDs in terms giga byte per dollar, to me this is just a great movie by intel. Maybe intel should also invest in movies

atuk

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Until SSDs become affordable to the mass market and at per with HDDs in terms giga byte per dollar, to me this is just a great movie by intel. Maybe intel should also invest in movies

atuk

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

lp231

Splendid
IMO if a person buys a SSD then they will expect to run everything from a SSD as that's where you will get the best performance. To have a small SSD just to have your programs start up faster but you will need to do your work on a regular hard drive defeats the purpose of a SSD.
e.g. A 64GB SSD for boot and programs but all your files are on a HDD, when you open a program it runs instant as it's on a SSD, but when the actual work starts, it's running from the HDD.
Also SSD doesn't make your machine instant boot into the OS. You still have to wait for it to complete POST.

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]HDD reliable? I'm sorry to disapoint you folks. I've worked with PCs for 13 years and I've seen hundreds of dead HDDs, most of them used by normal PC users. Though poor quality PSU and the lack of UPS are to blame for several of them I can grant you that HDD is anything but safe.[/citation]
"I've work with PC for 13 years" Whatever I say is true and you need to listen to what I said as I'm a expert.
Seriously, you think a SSD is better? If a faulty PSU is used on a SSD it will also fried out!
Go back to your cave and continue to draw on that rock canvas of yours.

f-14

Distinguished
worst marketing ad EVER! i want the 6&1/2 minutes of my life back (ok 5 minutes i couldn't stand the video and had to ffw to the last minute)
the elephant costume video/picture alone would have been enough for me to smack that drive out of his hand faster then a lightning bolt could destroy a surge protector and everything connected to it SSD or HDD equipped!
the proof is sitting in a huge pile next to the dumpster as freak lightning storm the beginning of this march (in snow country) took out an office full of computers on UPS's and surge protectors.
the image of the lightning bolt striking the power line attached to the building was the last thing recorded on the security footage with a dvd back up from one of the exterior building cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.