Intel Shows Off 8-Core, 128 Thread Nehalem-EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

is it running at 100% all the time of the video? on the threads side i don't see the utilization of the CPU, while it shows 100% on the left side.

G

I could understand if the 8 core has 2HT for each core; that would make 16 threads simultaneously; but 128threads is rather... unbelievable...
128threads are probably not for the average small business anymore

G

Article seems a bit misleading -- isn't the new chip 8-core/16-thread, which in a 8-socket system would provide a 64-core/128-thread environment?

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
One quantum processor can make 3000 times more calculations in a single second than this load of crap! Too bad, no one is making quantum computers more affordable.

G

[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]One quantum processor can make 3000 times more calculations in a single second than this load of crap! Too bad, no one is making quantum computers more affordable.[/citation]
They are not even in production yet as far as I am aware, still trying to get them to work so far!

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]But can it....run CRYSIS? Someone had to say it.[/citation]

LOL....yes someone had to say it! LOL

lemonade4

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]theafricandude[/nom]The dude keeps on pausing but who cares when he brings us somin this HARDCORE[/citation]

These guys do their job exceptionally well and bring us news about 8 core, it doesn't matter if their communication skills are lacking. :D

BT

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]One quantum processor can make 3000 times more calculations in a single second than this load of crap! Too bad, no one is making quantum computers more affordable.[/citation]

Fairly land. It will be long, long, long time, if ever, before quantum computers replace traditional server/desktop/HPC CPU's. Nehalem EX, is awesome, and affordable and attainable this year.

erictaneda2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I think this is a sloppy headline. The actual processor is 8 cores, 16 threads (double the current generation), and with multiple sockets, can become 128 threads (8 socket x 8 cores x 2 hyperthreads per core).

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... who can afford it? Do GLOBAL economic crisis ring a bell??? So in a sense EDDIEROOLZ is right by asking:
"But can it....
run CRYSIS? :D"

skreenname

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Ronald Demneri[/nom]is it running at 100% all the time of the video? on the threads side i don't see the utilization of the CPU, while it shows 100% on the left side.[/citation]

The usage line on the graphs would have been on the very top edge of the graphs the whole time.
So you'd have to be looking Really hard to see them.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Was about time to get in 8S NUMA space - AMD whipped their asses for ages in that segment.
“up to nine times the memory bandwidth of the previous-generation Intel Xeon 7400 platform.”
Even with independent FSBs, the previous platform was heavily BW limited to 4S and just 4Ch DDR2 FBDIMM RAM, with less than spectacular performance.
The jump to 24Ch (8CPUx3Ch) DDR3 RAM is finally eliminating that bottleneck.

Yummy boy, get it straight, even if you're running after catchy headlines. Or 8C/16Th, or 8S/128Th. Too much windblow$ dumb$ down...

jsschneidereit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I don't really know much about this. But I'm trying to figure out why mac pro uses Xeon, and why "workstations" use server processors. Because my dad is borrowing my baby that i built (computer of course) 'cause his died.. and he needs me to build him a new one. He is an architect and does 3-D rendering and all that jazz and I am aware of the fact that gaming computers don't run so hot doing that stuff... anyways where I was going with the mac, I'm wondering since the mac uses server cores should my build use this?

Status
Not open for further replies.