Intel SSD 545s Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The ARK has a history of showing the wrong endurance info until someone goes in and fixes it. We had the review finished at noon the day before launch. I had kids bball camp transportation duty this week and was up at 6 AM each day. At 12:06 AM Intel sent revised endurance numbers but I was asleep when they arrived. The review went live at 12:30 when the NDA lifted.

The revised specification list says the 545s Series endurance for the 512GB drive is 288 TBW.

On the call with Intel they stated the endurance was 100 TBW and we published that number first. The next morning we revised it with what we think is the correct rating, 288 TBW.

That's 72 TBW for every 128GB. Apparently that's an important number. We spoke with another fab a few days before and learned that's the number OEMs require, 72TBW for every 128GB. I think we'll see this endurance rating used as a blanket for many new drives going forward.

I am not. Intels NAND will have higher endurance for the NAND cells since it is not as small of a process size. It has been proven that smaller NAND size means lower endurance to read/writes.

Yes there are other factors that can add to or improve endurance but from a purely objective viewpoint Intels SSDs tend to have one of the best endurance ratings.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what evidence do you have of that? For our education.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Bit, the Evo is comparable in price, while remaining superior in performance and reliability - even after all this time. Intel should feel embarrassed, their R&D budget is truly massive and yet they're using weak third party controllers. Custom firmware alone obviously isn't cutting it. I was really hoping the outcome of this review would be a SATA drive that dethroned the Evo, finally. A lot of old systems just need a good SSD to bring them alive again.

Does said board have full X4 PCIe 3.0 on all three M.2 ports, no shared lanes? Anyway yes, even with M.2, SATA still has a place for cheaper secondary storage (future high-capacity HDD replacements), as well as older systems.

With Ryzen/Thread ripper, 64 lanes, and the i9 series, 44 lanes, you should have enough lanes for ports not to share bandwidth.

A x4 pci-e gets 4 lanes so the manufacturer would have to reserve 12 lanes for your 3 - m.2 drives for full speed.

Although all this depends on what the manufacturer decides.

Status
Not open for further replies.