News Intel staves off AMD and China critics to keep exclusive export license to Huawei — Intel sells 90% of CPUs used in the company's laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I think the answer as to why a request for a license to do business was approved under a pro business administration and why a similar request to an anti business administration was denied has more to do with the people approving the requests for licenses than the companies requesting them.

AMD should have put in the request a bit earlier.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
The answer is, the person signing those exemptions changed.
If Intel and AMD had their roles reversed in this situation, I don't think anyone would be able to predict the outcome of those export licenses either.

The way I see it is very simple. If one is allowed to export to Huawei, then all should be allowed to export to Huawei. I don't have a problem with Intel having said export licence, I do however have a problem with only Intel having said export licence.

According to Americans, capitalism is supposed to be a level playing field without government intervention. Well, this situation shows that it doesn't work that way. Either grant export licences to other companies or revoke Intel's.

Reactions: NinoPino

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
According to Americans, capitalism is supposed to be a level playing field without government intervention. Well, this situation shows that it doesn't work that way. Either grant export licences to other companies or revoke Intel's.
But we live in the age of "Crony Capitalism", he who has more friends/fingers in Washington DC has more stroke to rig the game in their own favor.

Reactions: NinoPino
Status
Not open for further replies.