News Intel Teases Rocket Lake Core i9-11900K, Intends to Retake Gaming Crown With 19% IPC Increase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
We also don't know about that either. Intel claims "Up to 19% IPC" advantage. Those higher advantages are probably only going to be in specific workloads. It will be interesting to see the benchmarks though.
Intel didn't say up to 19%, they just said 19%. Cypress Cove is based on Ice Lake which on average had 18% better IPC than Coffee Lake, which was confirmed by third party testing. So, it's perfectly reasonable to believe Intel's estimate of 19% better on average than Coffee Lake, for Cypress Cove. The 5.3Ghz boost clocks also mean that none of the IPC gains will be cancelled out by lower clock speeds vs Comet Lake.

Intel didn't say up to 19%, they just said 19%. Cypress Cove is based on Ice Lake which on average had 18% better IPC than Coffee Lake, which was confirmed by third party testing. So, it's perfectly reasonable to believe Intel's estimate of 19% better on average than Coffee Lake, for Cypress Cove. The 5.3Ghz boost clocks also mean that none of the IPC gains will be cancelled out by lower clock speeds vs Comet Lake.
11thgendes.png

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think it is wise to wait for official and independent results to validate Intel's claim. If those numbers are the best case scenario for Intel over AMD, I think Intel is going to be in trouble. As impressive as it seems on Intel's marketing slides, comparing it with Ryzen 5900X over gaming results doesn't paint a good picture in my opinion since most if not all games don't benefit well with CPU above 8 cores. So crucially, their main competitior is going to be the Ryzen 7 5800X which they chose to omit from the results.

In addition, the max power pulled by the Ryzen 9 5900X is 142W vs the rumored 250W PL2 on the 11900K is a staggering 70+ % increase in power requirement for the latter. If the improvement is on a low single digit, then its a very poor deal. Not to mention you will need a top of the line Z490 or 590 to go with this processor to maximize performance.

In my opinion, AMD don't need to introduce some faster clocked chips, but they just need to increase supply.

Reactions: Krotow

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Wow a whole 4%. Amazing Intel. I have a feeling 2021 is really not going to be Intel's year.
I feel Intel has lost its competitive advantage when it fell significantly behind their own schedule to introduce the 10nm and 7nm. Usually they are way ahead of competitors because their fab produces more advance nodes that are more dense and better when it comes to power characteristics. With likely a subpar 10nm so that they can rush it out, and likely a subpar 7nm as well, they are pretty much on equal footing with ARM and AMD. So that leaves them to compete with CPU architecture, which they seem to be responding slowly to incoming threats.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I thought Intel was still king for gaming since the only AMD processors you can find are the 3XXX ones and you can buy any of the 10X00 processors?

Yep... retail price for Intel or retail price +60% for AMD? The decision was easy. Value wins.

Reactions: Why_Me
Can't wait to get one of this Ryzen 9 5900X, or even better one of the future i9 11900K, to pair with a "no where to be found and veery expensive" RTX 3080 and hook up that amazing system to play at with a 1080p monitor........ really?
You do realize that someone that is going to spend so much money on the CPU alone is going to keep that system for like 10 years or so right?
That relation between GPU power and resolution is going to be very very relevant in 5-6 years.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Yep... retail price for Intel or retail price +60% for AMD? The decision was easy. Value wins.
you sure about that ?? for the most part, the " value wins " product, was amd, yet, people STILL bought intel cause of the performance. and now that has changed, you think people will buy intel cause they are the value ? i doubt that. no one i know is considering intel right now, they are waiting for zen 3 to be in stock, and will be getting that, i doubt what intel has announced will be changing there minds very much.

D

Deleted member 2838871

you sure about that ?? for the most part, the " value wins " product, was amd, yet, people STILL bought intel cause of the performance. and now that has changed, you think people will buy intel cause they are the value ? i doubt that. no one i know is considering intel right now, they are waiting for zen 3 to be in stock, and will be getting that, i doubt what intel has announced will be changing there minds very much.

I'm plenty sure. My "value" comment was regarding scalpers thrown into today's PC part buying experience.

Keyword would be "waiting."

I wanted to build a PC.

1. 10900k @ retail $500
  2. AMD @ 60% scalper markup
  3. waiting
1 is a better value over 2. Is it a better value over 3? I dunno... but time is money.

I'm well aware of Intel's performance and had no problems pulling the trigger on the 10900k. My PC has destroyed benchmarks. Did I leave some added performance on the table that I'd probably never notice by passing on the 5900/5950x? Probably. Do I care? ... not really. Time is money. If your friends want to wait 6 months to get their AMD CPU... I wish them well. Let us know how long they wait...

Last edited by a moderator:

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Intel shared more information about its upcoming Rocket Lake-S flagship, the Core i9-11900K, claiming that it will retake the gaming performance crown.

Intel Teases Rocket Lake Core i9-11900K, Intends to Retake Gaming Crown With 19% IPC Increase : Read more

While any kind of competition is ultimately beneficial for speeding up technological advancement and keeping retail prices in check, Intel's move with Rocket Lake is somewhat anachronistic: the general technological trend is moving towards increased perormance/watt metrics, with AMD just recently announcing 65W versions of their 8c and 12c Zen3 CPUs and Apple already being in the future with their ultra low power M1 CPU which competes favorably with CPUs that draw 5x as much power.
Paradoxically, Intel is moving in the opposite direction, letting their 8c Rocket Lake CPUs draw 150W (PL1) - 250W (PL2).

With all due respect - that's insane. They actually trade a 4% advantage over Zen3 in gaming for up to 250W power draw...
And due to the constrained number of cores, Rocket Lake cannot even compete with AMDs 12- and 16 core CPUs in most productivity tasks.

So, what was Intel thinking? Why even bother spending billions on throwing this "Frankenstein's" CPU on the market?
Intel's current Gen CPUs are already good value for gaming purposes, Intel should just have cut their prices in half and they would sell pretty well.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
TravisPNW, they have NO issues in waiting, as they also would like to upgrade their GPUs as well, and im sure most know how available those are :) one friend has a 2600K and a geforce 970 i think it was. the 10900k here is 750, the 5900X is 760, 10 buck difference, and both arent really in stock, so, waiting for them is not that tough :)
one even said they are tired of intel's BS, and lies over the last few years, not to mention intels over all power draw vs amd, which contrary to what some intel fanboys say, it IS worse then AMD overall, maybe not in games, but they DO use their comps for other things. was talking to another one earlier, and at the moment, he is NOT impressed with intels announcements about 11900 and tiger lake, over all, its not that impressive IF the increased power usage turns out to be true, as AMD did the same IPC improvement, which staying at the same power usage, the same amount of cores, while on the same process node. as it looks as of today, intel still doesnt look like it is going to regain anything, but as he said, wait to these cpus are out, to really pass any judgment.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You do realize that someone that is going to spend so much money on the CPU alone is going to keep that system for like 10 years or so right?
Come on now, not everyone holds their hardware that long, even if it is the latest and greatest.
Some will do 3-5-7 years - heck, some folks literally 'lease' their hardware; get the latest and greatest every year - because they can - and the previous hardware was either sold locally, or through sites like ebay.
People spend their money however they want, and it doesn't matter - well, shouldn't matter to anyone else how they spend it, but this is the Internets after all.

you think people will buy intel cause they are the value ?
Well, that's going on right now. There are threads here of users here, and on others, assembling Intel based builds still - for one reason or another.
It's thanks to competition that Intel's prices have dropped as low as they have and their product stack changed so drastically; refer to how long Intel sat on quad cores(mainstream) then in under 3 years went from quad to hex to oct to deca core cpus.
I'm hoping Intel can shake up the gpu market too = better pricing for us - err, bar Covid aftermath and whatnot.

Ryzen 5000 is OOS in many areas, and some people just can't wait. 10th gen has ample stock, is affordable, and the performance is relevant to the competition.
If Intel takes back the crown with 11th gen, they can charge a premium for being number 1 again, and the loop continues...

AMD had a chance to really put it to both Intel and Nvidia, but Covid + not having their own fabs screwed them.

So, what was Intel thinking? Why even bother spending billions on throwing this "Frankenstein's" CPU on the market?
The investors have had 'ants in their pants' as of late... it might have something to do with them. I mean, there's articles like these:

It's a crapstorm.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
maybe where you are, not so much here. for the most part, AMD is the better buy considering how close the pricing is.
10th gen has ample stock and is affordable in some regions, and the performance is relevant to the competition.
It may not apply to you specifically, but Intel is an option for some. Whether that's the best, well... I'm not going to get into all that.

AMD' response should be better availability, not binned SKUs with an even scarcer availability than the existing ones. Essentially AMD's response should be to actually launch what they paper-launched in October 2020. As for the Intel cpus they are retaking the single and light-threaded throne as expected.
I have no doubt that situation with Intel CPUs in position where AMD is now, would be the same. And I have no doubt that Intel CPUs would still be sold for 25% extra, because "it is Intel" (weird finger moves here). No, Intel must do much more now than simply crank up CPU clock on same 14nm die, turning mentioned CPU into very inefficient and power hungry room heater. At least they must stop look to their SOHO customers as pariahs and price their CPUS adequately. And move to 5nm die process - they already missed 7nm. PCIe 4.0 obviously.

The way I see all that (11xxx series), Intel is only trying show "we're still in game" -and is meant for those blinded by "Intel inside" logo.
250W?! -to get full promised performance, one shouldn't be cheap on cooling. Having that in mind, 11900K will be more expensive than 5900X.
11900K, 5900X,.. we're talking about high performance consumer CPU's here. And I really don't care, if Intel delivers 217fps in some game and AMD "only" does 208fps. However, 11900K can't emulate 12 cores -enough said.

Availability.. yeah, all big brands seems to be infected and so it makes no point to blame particular one. I bough 5900X a month ago at close to MSRP+VAT price. In my country all 5000 series CPU's are still on stock right now -so it does depend on region, I guess.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
Availability.. yeah, all big brands seems to be infected and so it makes no point to blame particular one. I bough 5900X a month ago at close to MSRP+VAT price. In my country all 5000 series CPU's are still on stock right now -so it does depend on region, I guess.
Depend is it in Europe where the price always is 30% over the real and nobody buying, for me is cheaper to get ticket to USA from Europe and get single 3090 and come back than get it from the near retailer.

Depend is it in Europe where the price always is 30% over the real and nobody buying, for me is cheaper to get ticket to USA from Europe and get single 3090 and come back than get it from the near retailer.
In Europe price for customer have all taxes already included. American MSRP is only template - each state have their tax rules. I believe final price is not much different from European pricing. So particular US buyer must drive to different state anyway if he want to get his hardware a bit cheaper :)

TRENDING THREADS