News Intel Teases Rocket Lake Core i9-11900K, Intends to Retake Gaming Crown With 19% IPC Increase

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

usiname

Prominent
BANNED
Feb 27, 2020
In Europe price for customer have all taxes already included. American MSRP is only template - each state have their tax rules. I believe final price is not much different from European pricing. So particular US buyer must drive to different state anyway if he want to get his hardware a bit cheaper :)
Does microcenter for example has any taxes except the listed price? Same for Amazon? If there is GPU for $1500 how much taxes I must to pay, because in my country it is $2100.

You do realize that someone that is going to spend so much money on the CPU alone is going to keep that system for like 10 years or so right?
That relation between GPU power and resolution is going to be very very relevant in 5-6 years.

I do, I used my old Core i5 3570 for 4 years, and I was happy with it until I realized that it was hurting my GTX 1060 performance really bad on newer titles.

But you do realize its the other way around too don't you?, many people that spend soo much money on a CPU/GPU will in fact change it again the next year, or maybe 2 years at most.

In any case as jeremyj_83 pointed out I was been (or at least trying) to be sarcastic at the fact that intel is only showing 1080p "benchmarks" results, meaning that as we know other than that particular resolution, it probably doesn't matter much what CPU you pick, specially if you don't own a RTX 3080/RX 6800 or higher.

Yes, trend is to replace basically all system after 4 years. Remaining dinosaurs like me due to not so affordable hardware or changes in life/work situation live for 8-10 years on basically same system. Previous decade was not bad for that because for basic computing tasks all things worked even on Core 2 Duo and similar AMD CPUs with only raising demand for RAM and storage. But now definitely is time to replace all.

By the way Intel is in deep hole now which they same dug with their arrogance to SOHO market. Good riddance. They must change not only element sizes on CPU die but also their attitude towards regular people. Price - drop.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Intel's test notes say the margin of error for its performance claim is +/- 15%, so we'll have to wait for real-world testing.
Yeah, that alone is big exclamation mark! Very trustworthy performance numbers, lmao.

Like someone else said: "Rocket Lake = Skippy Lake".

6 months later a complete new architecture comes with Alder Lake (with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 most likely), even if you are an Intel fanboy, you should not care about Rocket Lake. It's an already dead platform with no upgrade path.

Reactions: Krotow

FakeMike

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
Well, it probably will be fast but prepare to spend extra $ for solid cooling solution as this will be a power hog. And besides what is the point if a few months later Intel will release Alder Lake on a smaller node with DDR5 support?

Reactions: digitalgriffin

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Like someone else said: "Rocket Lake = Skippy Lake".

6 months later a complete new architecture comes with Alder Lake (with DDR5 and PCIe 5.0 most likely), even if you are an Intel fanboy, you should not care about Rocket Lake. It's an already dead platform with no upgrade path.
We all win if Alder Lake is out in 6 months. However, there is zero chance that is happening. No one, including Intel, has put it in that time frame. At best, we're probably looking at a late November announcement, with availability a year from now. AMD's current platform is dead as well with no upgrade path, so I guess no one should be buying anything this year. Upgrade path should never factor into a purchase. You buy when you have the funds and the need.

Intel made a very interesting disclaimer pointed out by Moore's law about +-15% on the charts.

These boost frequencies are tied very closely to how hot the chip gets. A total TDP of 150Watts is a lot to deal with for ANY cooler. I wonder if Intel tested these chips when they were super chilled or heat soaked after a while. That would explain the difference.

We all win if Alder Lake is out in 6 months. However, there is zero chance that is happening. No one, including Intel, has put it in that time frame. At best, we're probably looking at a late November announcement, with availability a year from now. AMD's current platform is dead as well with no upgrade path, so I guess no one should be buying anything this year. Upgrade path should never factor into a purchase. You buy when you have the funds and the need.

I would agree with no one should buy anything this year unless you already have said existing Z490 and X570/B550/X470/B450 platforms. And I heard only a few select Z490 platforms have the VRM's to support Rocket Lake. Talk about a cluster F.

Reactions: Krotow and VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
So not 6 but 8 months, ok. The thing is RKL looks much worse than Zen3 because:
  • it comes many months later for basically the same performance
  • it's much hotter and less efficient
  • so far the claims of performance include a +-15% margin of error
  • Zen to Zen3 has a big upgrade path up until now, many AM4 generations that you can make the jump from, while RKL is a one and done deal, and barely supports 1 gen before it support (sketchy one and not 100% all features).
  • Intel will release 2 different architectures in the same year and one will bring new things the other is an old one stretched to infinity +++++. AMD will not do this, releasing 2 in the same year. We might see a refresh 5000XT, but this is 2021, Zen3 was 2020. Looks bad for those buying RKL, it's a bad investment and just plain skipp-able.
All these points (and other, like more cores, better MT perf) make Zen3 a much better and saner choice, unless you have more money than sense and you buy every new peace of tech or just simping for intel. If you already have 10xxx series Intel you dont need the next one.

D

Deleted member 2838871

TravisPNW, they have NO issues in waiting, as they also would like to upgrade their GPUs as well, and im sure most know how available those are :) one friend has a 2600K and a geforce 970 i think it was. the 10900k here is 750, the 5900X is 760, 10 buck difference, and both arent really in stock, so, waiting for them is not that tough :)
one even said they are tired of intel's BS, and lies over the last few years, not to mention intels over all power draw vs amd, which contrary to what some intel fanboys say, it IS worse then AMD overall, maybe not in games, but they DO use their comps for other things. was talking to another one earlier, and at the moment, he is NOT impressed with intels announcements about 11900 and tiger lake, over all, its not that impressive IF the increased power usage turns out to be true, as AMD did the same IPC improvement, which staying at the same power usage, the same amount of cores, while on the same process node. as it looks as of today, intel still doesnt look like it is going to regain anything, but as he said, wait to these cpus are out, to really pass any judgment.

I hear ya. I wish them luck! For me it came down to not wanting to wait... and not wanting to pay scalper prices. I'm not a fanboi of either... I've had AMD systems before too. My last 2 systems were Intel due to AMD issues... I went with the i7 7700k in 2017 when Ryzen was first launching and unknown. The 10900k I just built was chosen because high end AMD chips aren't available... or I'd have probably went that route.

Either way... not losing any sleep over the decision. Quite happy with it. When I'm already benching in the top 1% do I care about missing out on .04% added performance in certain applications that I'd never notice anyway? Not at all. Intel was available and at a much better (value) price.

Not sure why people hate on the power draw... yeah it's high, but it's nothing a good cooler can't handle. The overclocking ability with Intel is something I rather like too. Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
  • Zen to Zen3 has a big upgrade path up until now, many AM4 generations that you can make the jump from, while RKL is a one and done deal, and barely supports 1 gen before it support (sketchy one and not 100% all features).
Zen 3 requires either a 5 series motherboard or some 4 series motherboard. Who is running Zen1 on either of those platforms? There is no realistic scenario that someone will be upgrading from Zen1 to Zen3 without buying a whole new system.

I don't see how Intel potentially releasing something much better later this year is a reason to not buy Intel now, but not a reason to not buy AMD as well. Please explain that one to me.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Zen 3 requires either a 5 series motherboard or some 4 series motherboard. Who is running Zen1 on either of those platforms? There is no realistic scenario that someone will be upgrading from Zen1 to Zen3 without buying a whole new system.

I don't see how Intel potentially releasing something much better later this year is a reason to not buy Intel now, but not a reason to not buy AMD as well. Please explain that one to me.
I've already listed the reasons, I guess you refuse to understand:
Plus more cores (12c, 16c variants for Zen3) so better HT performance, much better.

If those are not enough reasons for you, I have nothing more to say to this discussion.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Plus more cores (12c, 16c variants for Zen3) so better HT performance, much better.

If those are not enough reasons for you, I have nothing more to say to this discussion.
Nothing here has anything to do with my post or what I asked you.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
If you have a 5000 series CPU, there is no reason to switch to Rocket Lake. No one here is advocating that. If you don't have a 5000 series CPU, then your first point is irrelevant.

Until we have actual performance figures, your last point is irrelevant as well.

So, you're entire argument comes down, don't buy Intel because it is hotter. That's not a particularly great argument and most people probably don't care if the performance is good.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Don't bother responding if you're just going to continue to ignore what I said and not address it directly.
What did I ignore? The fact that you can't jump from Zen1 to Zen3 without changind the motherboard? Ok, sure, bu you can jump from Zen+ to Zen3 and there are plenty who do that, so that's 3 gens... again better than intel.

Yet you ignored this part and said only that is hotter:
Hypocrite much?

Dude just stop it, you like Intel fine. Let's stop here, it's going nowhere.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
After one entire decade improving 5% per generation, suddenly Intel can give 20%

Well, thanks, AMD
Ice Lake went on sale in September of 2019. This is not a new architecture. Tiger Lake, which has been on sale since Sept 2020, is the sequel to Ice Lake. This really has nothing to do with AMD. Intel's architecture teams have been churning along, but the delays on 10nm got them backed up to the point they had to backport their 10nm architecture to 14nm for Rocket Lake. Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, and Comet Lake all had about 0% IPC improvement, so 20% is basically just catching Intel back up to its 5% per generation gain you mentioned.

Ice Lake went on sale in September of 2019. This is not a new architecture. Tiger Lake, which has been on sale since Sept 2020, is the sequel to Ice Lake. This really has nothing to do with AMD. Intel's architecture teams have been churning along, but the delays on 10nm got them backed up to the point they had to backport their 10nm architecture to 14nm for Rocket Lake. Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, and Comet Lake all had about 0% IPC improvement, so 20% is basically just catching Intel back up to its 5% per generation gain you mentioned.
While Tiger Lake is the sequel to Ice Lake, there really are no IPC improvements in it compared to Ice Lake. Most of the added performance comes from being able to have higher base and boost clocks which was brought about by 10nm+.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
While Tiger Lake is the sequel to Ice Lake, there really are no IPC improvements in it compared to Ice Lake. Most of the added performance comes from being able to have higher base and boost clocks which was brought about by 10nm+.
Willow Cove's focus wasn't on ST performance, but it does have measurable IPC improvements vs Sunny Cove due to major changes to the cache structure (2.5 times more L2 cache per core, 50% more L3 per core, etc). The next big IPC improvement is going to be Golden Cove which is the sequel to Willow Cove.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7264Twnw_9o

seems like intel was more worried about its profits, then being the " nice guy " as terrylaze seems to make them out to be. Intel did what they did, because they could. the main reason we could see intel finally increase IPC more then the <10% gen over gen, IS because of amd, and now, its because intel HAS TO. plain and simple