Intel To Build Second 1.1M Square Foot Fab in Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
and AMD is almost Fabless!
So we have to compare like 32nm chips with latencies for their L3 caches and not-so-well built silicons
with 22nm intel chips with I dont know;3D transistors or something...

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]Please move away from Square Foot, meters are sooo much better(and is doesn't sound absurdly big!)[/citation]
America is still the only industrialise country that doesn't use the metric system. :(
For that, I congratulate the American people

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
This is good for the Americans... build more jobs... I wish Apple also does this, move away from Foxconn, and build manufacturing plants in the US soil to build more jobs..

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]Please move away from Square Foot, meters are sooo much better(and is doesn't sound absurdly big!)[/citation]
What is it with people and wanting everyone to be the same? Our system works leave it alone, there are conversions to and from both systems no reason for everything to be identical.

Here's an original article - http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2012/10/intel_makes_a_bet_on_oregon_an.html

Yes, it's a $3 Billion dollar project for a 1.1 million square feet building. Hey, it's in the US we use SqFt; 102,193 M^2.

Frankly, I wish they'd quit manufacturing offshore and close facilities China, Costa Rica, Malaysia, Israel, Ireland, India, Russia and Vietnam or other non-US Countries "Territories" (Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, or Virgin Islands.)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I think these fabs (D1X and this one) will be used for 10nm as well, since they've called it D1X, where X=4,1.

Also, i would assume that they'll make a lot more 14nm chips than the 22nm ones they're making at the moment.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]...Frankly, I wish they'd quit manufacturing offshore and close facilities China, Costa Rica, Malaysia, Israel, Ireland, India, Russia and Vietnam or other non-US Countries.[/citation]

"other non-US Countries." ???
Which are then the other "US countries" :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]America is still the only industrialise country that doesn't use the metric system. For that, I congratulate the American people[/citation]

Then why do we use 9mm bullets, drink from 2liter bottles, by our drugs by the 'kilo' and measure our Chips in nm (nano meter is METRIC) :)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]What is it with people and wanting everyone to be the same? Our system works leave it alone, there are conversions to and from both systems no reason for everything to be identical.[/citation]

Sorry, that was meant for you, not "greghome". Still early morning here and I did not have enough coffee yet :)

Then why do we use 9mm bullets, drink from 2liter bottles, by our drugs by the 'kilo' and measure our Chips in nm (nano meter is METRIC) :)

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]America is still the only industrialise country that doesn't use the metric system. For that, I congratulate the American people[/citation]

The way to stay.

[citation][nom]sheepsnowadays[/nom]^^ Your obviously have not calculated ANYTHING that has to do with science to realize that yes metric is the way to go.[/citation]

The way to go.

;o)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I would love is the US switched to the metric system for somethings... but ever try to follow a metric cooking recipe... its annoying as hell even with the right tools, give my teaspoons tablespoons, and cups any day. though for most scientific purposes it is best to use metric as it makes reproduction of experiments possible all over the world

Multiple story chip manufacturing equipment.... Please tell me that Tom's is working on getting a tour of the facility like you did with the collider a few years back. That would just be really cool.

... I am curious about what in the process of making things so tiny requires such tall equipment...

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"(and is doesn't sound absurdly big!)"

Well, if that is even a minor justification, than M2 is crap too. Square miles is much smaller, just 0.04. But is that really small enough? Lets just use square light-years; 3.2x10^-20 is tiny. Perfect :)

PseudopsiaKite

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]sheepsnowadays[/nom]^^ Your obviously have not calculated ANYTHING that has to do with science to realize that yes metric is the way to go.[/citation]

I can't wait to get me one of those 0.00055 mil CPUs. Ain't they sick.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]What is it with people and wanting everyone to be the same? Our system works leave it alone, there are conversions to and from both systems no reason for everything to be identical.[/citation]

im almost 25, and and i cant understand how anyone understands imperial...
for the last 20 years i cant see why we dont use metric. its SO much easier.
whats easier to tell whats what on the fly
1/8th 9/16th
or 5mm and 7mm

how many pints in a gallon? (i dont know)

i sure as hell know how many ml in a L

how many feet in a mile? i only know its 5280 because it was a trivia question i got wrong in a game recently. but i know how many M in a km off the top of my head.

imperial is retarded, and in all honesty, if it wasnt for MPH i dont believe that we would still be useing it, but we have so many people that are so stupid that the change from mph to kmph would be undoable.

other countries where driveing isnt an everyone has a license kind of deal, yea i could see a full switch in measurements to be a doable thing.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

It's not the American people - we were all taught the metric system as kids; it's the gov't and big business with old white guys as CEO's who refuse to make any changes.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
It's also a very practical measure, most people have a thumb and a foot for their own measuring pleasure! :-D

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I would love is the US switched to the metric system for somethings... but ever try to follow a metric cooking recipe... its annoying as hell even with the right tools, give my teaspoons tablespoons, and cups any day. though for most scientific purposes it is best to use metric as it makes reproduction of experiments possible all over the world[/citation]Why? What's the proplem with metric units in cookbooks. I have measuring tools that are labeled in both units. My teaspoon is 5 ml and my tablespoon is 15 ml. I even have deciliter scoops. I just don't see the problem. Measurements in cooking aren't that precise to begin with.

I agree you can go too far, though, so you have to maintain some control. Otherwise you give them a cm and they take a km. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.