Intel to Launch New 64GB SSD This Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Here is an idea: applications that don't need to load everything to RAM but run from the ssd "directly" loading as needed. Instant On OS and big games too (well, they will have to display the logo of the sponsor). Anyway, I still wait for more affordable performance because when software companies will make a bug free usage as mentioned above, the ssds will have replaced current hdds completely with better price/performance/capacity and everything.

G

I wished they would create a 32 and 64Gb MLC SSD, with high speeds.
They would be awesome notebook HD's replacements.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
What should I buy... a hard drive or a computer...?

Who does Intel think they are? $800 for a 64GB hard drive? Don't tell me they are short on money they just pumped $8 billion into upgrading their factories.

They must not actually want people to buy this. Just for show I guess.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A good SATA RAID controller with some RAM sticks and some cheap 10K RPM SATA drives and you'll have 10X the storage and about the same performance, maybe even a little more.

SSD is a great technology, but at these prices it's dangerously high-- so much so that it may never make it to the mainstream -- is that what Intel want?

As of now, the only applications I have that would "need" this level of performance is capturing of uncompressed 1080p video.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]zdzichu[/nom]Most performant? Aren't STEC ZEUS SSD delivering 3x more IOPs?[/citation]
Actually I don't give a flying **** about how many *** **** IOPs the drives have,that doesn't tell raw performance of an SSD.

jvc08

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
[citation][nom]jvc08[/nom]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820220342i have this ssd, it reads pretty fast, but as everybody knows it writes damn slow. but you can have fun it's cool to have not, the heat and noise of a hdd, and lets not forget, the crash problems hdds have. ssds are a lot more reliable imo.32gb is too little. you almost can't install windows with only this space free. and the 64gbs is too expensive![/citation]

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Seriously, sites such as tomshardware should stop reviewing products such as this when they have an absolutely rediculous price tag attached to them. There should be zero tolerance for obscene greed in the tech industry.. they should be humble that consumers still want to buy tech in the current economic times. $700+ssd drives are crazily expensive and there isn't a whole lot of those crazy people who are willing to spend thousands on SSD drives and arrays when the conventional competition has a 10:1 price advantage, maybe environments where hard drives would be impractical.. perhaps an indy 500 race, military planes, space shuttle, etc.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tmc[/nom]Seriously, sites such as tomshardware should stop reviewing products such as this when they have an absolutely rediculous price tag attached to them. There should be zero tolerance for obscene greed in the tech industry.. they should be humble that consumers still want to buy tech in the current economic times. $700+ssd drives are crazily expensive and there isn't a whole lot of those crazy people who are willing to spend thousands on SSD drives and arrays when the conventional competition has a 10:1 price advantage, maybe environments where hard drives would be impractical.. perhaps an indy 500 race, military planes, space shuttle, etc.[/citation]
You, sir, are and idiot [sic]

The expense of the device has to do with the cost in creating it. It's a new technology, and as such, I want to here about it. If we ignore it, we'll never get to the point where they'll be affordable.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Man, everyone is so grouchy on these forums. Duh new tech is expensive, think what solid state drives would have cost 10 years ago. And $700 is not expensive is you are willing to pay it over some other bit of fluff you don't want, like a blu-ray drive, discrete graphics, etc. The final cost of your laptop might be the same. Imagine one of Dell's cheapo celeron lappies that starts at $400 but with the $700 SDD added, presto sweet fast machine if the HDD was your bottleneck for your particular needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.