Intel to Pay Nvidia $1,500,000,000 for Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

decembermouse

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
This is big. I kinda doubt we'll see Intel mobos with Nvidia chipsets but one can hope! One can also hope that they'd overclock decently.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Well since it does not look like Nvidia will be making any new AMD chipsets (dammit!) this is the next best thing Nvidia can cash in on. Freaking wish AMD would have SLI on boards for Dozer when it comes out. AMD really put themselves in a corner not continuing that relationship.

lets home this improves the quality of nvidia products (with the exception of desktop cards post-8 series), and sounds like there both gaining something here, and AMD sure isnt going to be happy about the results here...

This is a good thing for the consumer I think. It means continued SLI support on Intel based chipsets for one, and potentially an open door for nVidia to continue considering the PC CPU market as a new market.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
When AMD came up with the name Fussion, they certainly did not expect it would be literal. AMD's has Fussed Nvidia and Intel just a little more with its Fussion chip. Since Intel does not have the graphics expertise to compete, and Nvidia's Tegra 2 ship does not run on the de-facto x86 standard.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
[citation][nom]zambutu[/nom]i dunno, i took math last semester and they said that those zeros are not significant digits[/citation]
$1.5*10^9
How's that for you?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
AMD will be in a world of hurt if Intel start using Nvidia's IGP's instead of Intel's own, OR if they did do that, they're CPU's would melt through their socket. *bad sarcasm*

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I don't know why people are surprised by this. Who else was Intel going to partner with? Their archrival AMD? This is pretty much a 'duh' moment.

G

Meat81: Why? As if Radeon GPUs in crossfire are just not good enough... Yeah right... Blame Nvidia's money-grubbing, strong-arm tactics for SLI licensing.

Besides, Nvidia chipsets weren't all that great compared to any recent AMD or Intel chipset, the overall quality of PCs are better now that VIA/Nvidia and whoever else aren't putting out crappy chipsets, it's just part of the continued integration of the PC.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The existing agreement is to expire March 31, 2011.
So they already had a deal like this one(?) but now it's been renewed. So therefore Nothing new. And everything will be the same.

We won't see jumps in power in the future as we've seen in the last 5 years. From 90-120nm to 40 has been quite a huge step and most of the advancements in power and low thermal output have been thanks to this.

Now the steps will be much smaller and slower, and more expensive.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't like.. Dubai bought.. a huge chunk of amd or smth... I don't think cash flow is an issue for them as long as there's growth..

Whether I'm right or not, please pleaseee stop with this fanboism madness, it's really childish i.e. "woah amd is dead nabz, woah intel is dead ubernabz, nvidia ftw, via rulez man, no man nvidia sux, no noob amd is dead noob.." ARRRGHGHHH :mad: !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.