Intel to Ship Value-Based X25-X SSD in Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]False_dmitry_ii[/nom]With that write speed, I'd still much rather go with a VelociRaptor.[/citation]
The small random reads will still far exceed the Velociraptor though. For an OS drive this is far more important than big sequential numbers like the ones posted here.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Besides for throughput, Corsair's CT128M225 and Crucial's P128 are much better overall. Plus, I'm starting to get rather annoyed. What's with this new business model over the last few years? I remember when the latest and best model got the high price tag, then dropped in price as a newer and better model came out. Nowadays, the latest model price stays the same (or in SSD's cases, goes up) when a newer but lower performance model comes out.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"According to specs revealed to us, the value SSD will provide reading speeds of up to 170 MB/sec. and write speeds of up to 40 MB/sec"
TLC anyone?
Lol, this product sucks.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]The small random reads will still far exceed the Velociraptor though. For an OS drive this is far more important than big sequential numbers like the ones posted here.[/citation]
benchmarkturbaters like big numbers... not actual performance and usefullness

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]snotling[/nom]benchmarkturbaters like big numbers... not actual performance and usefullness[/citation]
But in this case the big numbers are actually small numbers. Had they posted up a comparison of a HDD and this SSD in 4kB random reads it would have dominated. My OCZ Vertex (not directly comparable of course) is 25x faster than my WD Caviar Black. Wouldn't "25x faster than a spinning platter hard drive!!!!!!" look better than this?

Darkness Flame

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
Well, while 40 GB isn't much, it's large enough for a boot drive. The write speeds might suck, but other than install and updates, you're not going to be writing to the drive too much if it's only a boot drive. But I do have to agree that $160 is a bit too much for this. I think it's because they don't want people buying two of these for RAID 0 instead of an 80 GB M series. If this drive was either 60 GB, or more towards $120, I'd find it much more appealing.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Wow I have mixed feelings about this drive. It was just the other day that I wondering why Intel didn't have a 40 gig ssd out because for the right price it would dominate the market (assuming it has similar performance of course). At $160, this drive is a little enticing but as other commenters have pointed out, it doesn't improve GB/$. The thing that will make or break this drive is real world performance. 170 MB/s read and 40 MB/s write means next to nothing to those of us who are actually in the market for a ssd. If this "budget" drive actually has similar performance to its big brother, this will be a really attractive option. If, however, its performance falls short of an OCZ Vertex 32 GB's performance, specifically in random reads and writes, then it'll flop. I sincerely hope for the sake of everybody in the market for a ssd on a budget, including myself, that this drive performs competitively.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I'll wait until I can get a 120GB drive with X25-M speeds for ~$1/gig. Until them my 640GB 32MB Caviar Black is good enough. This thing is too over priced for the performance.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
So, it's half the size, almost half the write speeds, for not even close to half of Intel's MSRP on the X25-M-G2 80GB. On the good side, read speeds are still high so applications should be much more responsive that they would be on a standard HDD.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]m3d[/nom]I'll wait until I can get a 120GB drive with X25-M speeds for ~$1/gig. Until them my 640GB 32MB Caviar Black is good enough. This thing is too over priced for the performance.[/citation]

These SSDs look like garbage, but a good SSD is more of a performance boost than a new CPU/RAM/Motherboard.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hmmm this would be cool for ready boost, didn't they unlimit it for 7? One drive for ready boost another nice fast hard drive for swap and a third slower drive for the OS. Last but not least would be one for media and back ups :) Starting to sound like my machine I am posting from... (well except the ready boost drive)

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]Hmmm this would be cool for ready boost, didn't they unlimit it for 7? One drive for ready boost another nice fast hard drive for swap and a third slower drive for the OS. Last but not least would be one for media and back ups Starting to sound like my machine I am posting from... (well except the ready boost drive)[/citation]
40GB of ready-boost? Are you...?

Status
Not open for further replies.