Question Intel vs AMD this round (value, no flames please)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
So I just built a 7900x and 7700x systems (got the "FREE" ram was the only way it made sense to me from MC).

However looking at pricing.

13700k is 424 newegg and 380 at MC
13600k 319 newegg and 299 at MC

7700x 366 at newegg and 323 at MC
7900x 548 newegg and 499 at MC

13700k seems pretty close to a 7900x (Goes back and forth in a lot of gaming productivity stuff I'm seeing)
13600k is pretty close to a 7700x.

According to passmark, 13700k is lower multiple , but higher single thread than 7900x.
However 7700x is more single thread rating than the 13600k, but less multiple thread.

The pricing on AMD just makes zero sense its more expensive than intel, more $$ on MB's and requires DDR5 ram, the only thing it gives you is a future upgrade path (if your mobo maker gives you a bios update they usually do).

now the non X chips can be used with PBO to get like 98% of the same performance as a X chip for AMD, however so far the pricing I have seen which is limited is withing 20 dollars of an X chip.

The real reason I built AMD instead of intel this round (I build both over the years, I try to go for value) is the "FREE" ram for DDR5, which left me my "old" ram to sell in that old system (complete system).

If you don't live close to a MicroCenter (which most of don't). You are left with normal/online pricing no free ram, and it just makes zero sense from cost/value to go AMD currently.

Am I missing something? is AMD missing something? The 7900x prices are actually increasing EVERYWHERE . This CPU is not worth 500+ TAX + shipping

I know their is a lot of talk about TDP and power usage 13700k is rated at 125, 7900x is rated 170 (worse), but I do see where the 13700k pulls about 30 more watts on the CPU than the 7900x. So maybe its only people do tiny builds with limited airflow lean toward amd? AMD did beat intel in the 7zip bencmarks on the ones I found.

13600k is 125 and 7700x is 105w. (that is pretty close, I know the actuall watts they pull are more than the ratings)

The only way I see that being a good thing is using the NON X chips at 65 watt lose performance, but as soon as you enable PBO your wattage is back up. (also you get a free cooler with the non X chips, just like the non K chips)

I love competition cause I'm a PC nerd/builder, however it seems based on price/value AMD is losing this one pretty good.

No way a 7900x is worth 125 dollars MORE than a 13700k. Now to make sense the 7900 NON X would need to be under 400 at Newegg to be in competition, I'm thinking 350. (pricing is very sparse on the x chips when I search)

Now maybe your waiting on the 7700/7900x3d. However is the 7900x is 500, how much will the 7900x3d be? 600? 650?

Let me say again so I dont get flamed, I'm not per say an intel or amd fan. pros/cons. I have built many of systems with BOTH cpus over the years.

By looking at the benchmarks it seems to be fairly close so why pay so much more for the CPU/motherboard and ram over intel? Maybe that future proofing of dropping a newer CHIP is what people like, however the avg person don't even know about that, I bet many of us upgrade the whole system more often than just upgrading the CPU. (mabye i'm wrong and AMD is having every pc nerd buy up AM5 due to the future proof socket for 2-3 years.

I guess we will have to wait on the non X chips and non K chips to really get in stock and pricing to settle. Maybe that will shake things loose or be dead even.

I think the K chips are better value than the X chips as of today anyway (1.12.23)

I'm looking at this strictly at value/performance. Don't take this as an i'm intel fanboy or AMD hater. I literally just built a 7900x and 7700x systems and have had no issues, super rock solid and super fast.

maybe more people are concerned about power bills. This passmark says AMD will save you about 10 bucks a year, I guess if you keep it 5 years you saved 50 bucks. So you can count that off the price of the CPU.........math still dont' seem to work out for me

Looking forward to discussions :) (as I type this on my loving 7900x)

Good article here on toms:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/i...ughly tie,expands to 13.6% after overclocking.

I like real world experience. I wonder if AMD people were overclocking more, did the customer state anything?
If you want data from something more reliable than that... https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-PC-Hardware-of-2021-2279/

But keep in mind that "failure" sometimes doesn't mean the part flat out didn't work:
The most noticeable issue here is a massive spike in shop failures for the Quadro RTX Series cards. This is not as bad as it looks, in a sense: it is almost entirely because of a manufacturing problem with the USB-C "VirtualLink" port on RTX 4000 video cards.

But the takeaway here is almost every hardware they carried had a failure rate of <1% in the field, which is very reliable in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: sonofjesse

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Do you actually buy a new cpu everytime they release a new one. I might upgrade a video card but by the time I need look to upgrade the CPU they have changed the motherboards anyway.

Actually, every couple of years I'd like to, but I don't want to shell out for a new motherboard and a CPU (and possibly new RAM (and lately PSU!!) ) because of Intel!!

I try not to be biased, because I've built many Intel & AMD PC's in the past. My moto is: Don't be a fan -or your wallet will suffer!
I think, depending on what for will PC be used, one can't really go wrong with either Intel or AMD. I don't care about last 2% of performance and so I see AMD in general as "better" overall decision: it's more efficient at multi-core load (less heat = easier/cheaper cooling) and for me that's a priority.
The problem is not which CPU -it's the pricing. As we can see, prices are heavy manipulated by sellers. For example: 7900X was about 520€ a week ago... and the next day after 7900 (non-X) pricing was announced, price jumped up to 580€. I mean.. seriously? Why is 7900X suddenly worth more? It's not about demand & supply anymore -it's pure greed (based on "fanboys will pay the price").
The only advice I have is, to be patient: wait a little while and then buy what you wish to have.

Reactions: PEnns
As far as amd having a higher failure rate, I think not. I’ve been a tech since about 2008, both in Helpdesk, and in on the go repair, plus I’ve been playing with PCs since I was 17 in the late 90s. My first computer was a Commodore 64 when I was 5. I think I’ve seen maybe 2-3 cpus go bad.

As to the value. I have an am4 box as my primary box with an old b350 board, 5800x, 32gb of ram and an rtx 3080. I wouldn’t build an am4 system today unless you are on a very very tight budget and maybe you get some used stuff, or if you already have an old board and can update it then an upgrade makes sense.

But as someone who has typically had amd systems, if I were building on a budget I’d probably be looking at an Intel board and an i3 13100 or an i5 13400 with ddr4.

I do live near microcenter so can get the ram deal, if I were building today I personally would probably want a new ryzen non x cpu if they had a ram kit with it and a budget ish board. I like the idea of platform longevity. In other words an Intel box built today while powerful is a dead end like am4 is. With the am5, I’ve got more confidence that say in 2025 for example that I’ll be able to upgrade to a 8000 or 9000 series cpu on an existing board and be comparable to the latest Intel tech.

The setup I’ve got now probably dates to 2017-18. The 5800x isn’t the fastest gaming cpu, but is at least in the ballpark of 11th and 12th gen intel and I’d suppose not grossly behind slower 13th generation parts. So if you think that way, you’ll spend more now or more later.

Reactions: PEnns

logainofhades

Titan
I wouldn't be able to tell what cpu of those listed in this thread when playing a game at 1440p. They all would perform quite well.

I would to some extent, mostly due to the fact that I only play WoW. Even at 1440p, I saw a significant increase, in min framerate, going from a 3700x, to a 5800x, even with the RTX 2060 that I was using at the time. It becomes super noticeable, when you are in outdoor world 40 man + raid situations, or in 40v40 PVP. Only reason I really want to upgrade is my 170hz monitors cannot be fully utilized. My RX 6800 never gets fully utilized, and I can easily dip below 60fps, in the situations previously mentioned. A 5800x3d, ryzen 7000, or 13th gen intel would net me some serious gains, in min fps.

Reactions: GarrettL
I would to some extent, mostly due to the fact that I only play WoW. Even at 1440p, I saw a significant increase, in min framerate, going from a 3700x, to a 5800x, even with the RTX 2060 that I was using at the time. It becomes super noticeable, when you are in outdoor world 40 man + raid situations, or in 40v40 PVP. Only reason I really want to upgrade is my 170hz monitors cannot be fully utilized. My RX 6800 never gets fully utilized, and I can easily dip below 60fps, in the situations previously mentioned. A 5800x3d, ryzen 7000, or 13th gen intel would net me some serious gains, in min fps.

That's interesting and makes sense. I play shooters for the most part and also looking to bring up the minimum framerates at 1440p with the 2070S, it's still a good gpu so not in a rush to upgrade quite yet but starting to look around. How do you like the RX 6800? I haven't had an AMD gpu since the 7750. For MP FPS games, ray tracing is not somthing I must have especially considering the current gpu pricing. Just looking for good perforance at 140Hz 1440p with smooth framerates.