News Intel: We Aren't Stepping Back to 22nm Haswell; We Never Left

larkspur

Distinguished
I reported this to you guys last Friday December 6th shortly after your original article was posted. Obviously I don't work for Intel but I linked the evidence and was (apparently?) ignored. In the meantime at least 2 other tech sites picked up the story based on Tom's erroneous report... Thanks for issuing this correction Paul.

Edit: And the original article claimed that Intel's 22nm is obsolete - which, obviously it is not. Legacy CPUs, chipsets, lower-performance, purpose-built ICs are produced on older nodes. That doesn't make them obsolete - just not cutting-edge. Considering Intel's continued shortages on their overused 14nm node, it's not at all surprising that their 22nm GP node is still getting heavy use...

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Edit: And the original article claimed that Intel's 22nm is obsolete - which, obviously it is not. Legacy CPUs, chipsets, lower-performance, purpose-built ICs are produced on older nodes.
It is obsolete, for building CPUs. I think that was sufficiently obvious, though it wouldn't have hurt for @PaulAlcorn to qualify it as such.

And, again, thanks for your post in the other thread.

AMD has had stock issues with the 3rd gen threadripper (may smooth out soon) and Ryzen 9s being hard to find. However, one look on PCpart picker shows intel is having issues too.

Recently Intel has had supply issues pretty much year round.

The I3 9350kf, is still often out of stock or sold at inflated prices like amazon at $225. Even though this CPU has GPU removed to increase yields, it is still hard to come by. In addition, the locked i3 9300 and i3 9320 are experiencing stock issues.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DD...0kf-4-ghz-quad-core-processor-bx80684i39350kf
I5 9500 and 9600 are hard to find and carry inflated prices sometimes reaching $350 due to low stock.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bKH8TW/intel-core-i5-9600-31-ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i59600
Intel Pentium Gold CPUs are hard to find and carry vastly inflated prices compared to even the superior core I3 CPUs. For example, the Pentium G5400, G5500, and G5600 all costs close to or above $100
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9P...z-dual-core-oemtray-processor-cm8068403377513

So Intel seems to be in worse shape than AMD in some ways, but i suppose this is since much of Intel's manufacturing capacity is going towards OEM systems and mobile devices, markets where AMD moves far less product. AMD is focusing on enthusiast sales. I also noticed many of the above CPUs experiencing supply issues are locked CPUs that would be more tailored to a prebuilt.

Last edited:

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
I reported this to you guys last Friday December 6th shortly after your original article was posted. Obviously I don't work for Intel but I linked the evidence and was (apparently?) ignored. In the meantime at least 2 other tech sites picked up the story based on Tom's erroneous report... Thanks for issuing this correction Paul.
(snip)

I remember checking on Intel's ARK site last week when the original post came out... & (at least that day) the G3420 was listed as "Discontinued". Today, it's back to "Launched"...so apparently it wasn't just the PCN that was erroneously changed by Intel, but also the ARK entry.

So I wouldn't classify it as TH "ignoring" you. Rather, I'd consider it, "despite 3rd-party information supposedly contradicting Intel's official announcement, we'll wait until Intel officially clarifies the issue"...which they now have.

larkspur

Distinguished
It is obsolete, for building CPUs. I think that was sufficiently obvious, though it wouldn't have hurt for @PaulAlcorn to qualify it as such.
I think we have two different perceptions of what a CPU constitutes. I assume you mean cutting edge-high performance PC CPUs. On that, sure I can agree with you. I am referring to the term CPU which refers to any central processing unit. I already told you the definition of obsolete according to Oxford in a previous post... We can disagree on our nomenclature and therefore be in agreement but I will continue to disagree that Intel's 22nm node is obsolete - it is very much in use lol! If you are only thinking about retail PC hardware then sure, ok I'm not arguing that these have reached an out-of-date status. But 22nm CPUs are very much in production at Intel - they aren't the center of a PC like you think - they are the center of a DEVICE - think of a device you use and it might be powered by one... :)

larkspur

Distinguished
I remember checking on Intel's ARK site last week when the original post came out... & (at least that day) the G3420 was listed as "Discontinued". Today, it's back to "Launched"...so apparently it wasn't just the PCN that was erroneously changed by Intel, but also the ARK entry.

So I wouldn't classify it as TH "ignoring" you. Rather, I'd consider it, "despite 3rd-party information supposedly contradicting Intel's official announcement, we'll wait until Intel officially clarifies the issue"...which they now have.
Nah, I reported it to the mods. It had nothing to do with ARK and everything to do with Intel QDMS (Quality Document Managment System) - if you know how to read it you could have easily seen it was an "about face" by Intel - either a mistake or a quick reaction to a big client (which is what I still think it was). The original author missed that... And then the original smear article stayed up for days while other tech publications picked it up straight from Tom's... heh heh - That's how misinformation spreads... Anyway don't worry about it - happens in journalism all the time. Like I said - I'm glad Paul took care of it and now Intel managed to play it off like it was just a "mistake"! LOL!

Reactions: bit_user