Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sigh. it looks like you do intend to drag it out. directly posting images for absolutely no reason is spamming. simply because it's unwanted and unnecessary. it's not semantics.

this is just semantics sprinked with ad hominem attack.
model numbers mean very little in the context of technology. model numbers are assigned to denote an s.k.u. and may not necessarily point to the hardware characteristics. you are Trolling using a gap in the leaked slides. the gap is that intel didn't specify the tdp and the models associated with model names. haswell, ivy bridge's -S series l.v. processors also fit their own z-series motherboards. i said skylake-s will be l.v. because of intel's past trends of model numbering and the TDP ranges in the leaked slide - which match the tdp ranges accociated with past -s cpus and their specs, there's no "pretense". that is always subject to change, depending on how intel markets them. this is the last time i'll reply as you've clearly resorted to trolling over a trivial matter.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

No. The first time I gave only a link to an article. You did make wrong claims about it and then I reproduced a pair of Intel slides. Giving official slides with information relevant to your points is not spamming, please check a dictionary.

You cannot claim that "intel didn't specify the tdp", because one of the slides I provided mentions the range of TDP. You deleted the slide from your reply, but I will reproduce it once again
Intel-Skylake-S-Platform-Details1.jpg

See it? Skylake-S includes up to 95W processors. There is no "trolling" neither "ad hominem" nor "spamming" on providing official slides with information that disprove your claims.

My take is they have to clock them higher each time to show a performance gain from gen to gen.

Since we're "enthusiasts" stock doesn't matter much, but Max OC and Optimal OC do. And some might say least voltage at stock freq.

Cheers!

yep; comparing the 4790k and 6700k, which have the same clock, number of cores, it's easy to solve IPC, as you simply need to measure the performance difference, which is a hair over 13%.

** In Cinebench R15.

Cheers!

jdwii

Splendid
Guessing on average we will see 10% IPC boost i also wonder how much the GPU improved over the 4600.

Edit
If you really think about it 10-15% is a pretty big boost when most are claiming x86 is pushed to the limits i mean Amd still has a LOT to grow so that is why we expect more from that camp. Intel i really don't expect much for their CPU now a days.

Fair enough. But at least extensions aren't coming into play yet, so, at least in that one benchmark, that 13% is PURELY architectural.

So yeah, just randomly guessing 10-15% IPC gains per gen seems to be doing me quite well with predictions. :p

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
This 15% is not per gen. Skylake is ~15% compared to Haswell, not to Broadwell. It is ~7% per gen. Of course the real upgrade will be on AVX-like extensions. Expect 70% IPC gains or so.

I have a *big* doubt there. When you say "AVX" you mean "from AVX v1 to AVX v2", right?

The context of this goes into current "AVX v1" software. Unless they're using a superset of AVX v2 for v1, there should be no gains in current software, isn't it?

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The mentioned huge improvement will be when recompiling AVX2 software to use the new AVX512 and companion extensions. Recompiled AVX software will show bigger gains and legacy binaries will show no gain over Broadwell (except the general architectural ~7%).

Given the adoption rate of new tech in the non-enterprise, kinda makes sense.

So, if Skylake were to launch today, then we would see software for it around... mid 2016? AVX 1 took a while to be introduced, even though it was given support at the end of 2011 massively (windows, mac and linux IIRC). I remember the first game I saw using AVX was DiRT 3 and that one was released mid 2012. I haven't seen any other piece of software using it explicitly (having a "_avx" executable).

Cheers!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Software with specific Haswell extensions was available for testing on reviews of Haswell. I see no reason why AVX512 software don't will be ready for Skylake launch. In fact, I know one dev has been working with AVX512 for a while now.

Of course Windows users will be late to the party... as usual.

I'll concede this point, since if Cazalan is right and Desktop variants won't get the extension until the E CPUs are released, it won't matter much.

And is there *any* relevant desktop piece of software that uses AVX2?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.