News Intel's Rocket Lake Blasts Off With Fewer Cores, Higher Pricing

Price creep = sad

AMD hiked prices on Ryzen 5000 because they were proud that they finally beat Intel
Intel clearly doesn't perceive that AMD has overtaken them.
Intel SHOULD have more leeway to lower pricing given their 100th year on 14nm.

At this point, I'm not interested in having to cool a CPU that draws 250W or more, even if it offers 5% better performance than the 5800X at 120W.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
11900k should be cheaper. Pricing of the other chips seems fine. Intel really needs to stop with the removal of features to justify the cost of higher chips. There should not be an I9 this generation. An additional 200MHz all core boost would not warrant a chip being an I9 vs an I7, so they artificially handicap the memory peformance of the rest of the line. It's like Intel doesn't want to be the performance leader any more.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
What a mess. You need specific DDR4 speeds to engage "Gear 1" on one specific processor, and anything higher counts as overclocking. Buy a 3200 kit for an i7 and you now have to use lower speeds or void your warranty. Also, the whole 250W issue (is it at base clocks? What does 105W mean then?).

I don't know, to buy one you have to know so much stuff, it's hardly a plug-and-play decision anymore. Too much confusion.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
You know one of the reasons I've been 100% pro Ryzen since the first generation? I don't have to risk ruining a $500 CPU with delidding and reapplying the TIM in order to get a slightly faster overclock. My 3900X runs at 4.5GHz on all cores with very little effort.
That's a bizarre reason. Especially since Intel moved to a soldered TIM. Pretty much all of Intel's K SKU's hit 5Ghz or more all core, so what achievement 4.5GHz?

What a mess. You need specific DDR4 speeds to engage "Gear 1" on one specific processor, and anything higher counts as overclocking. Buy a 3200 kit for an i7 and you now have to use lower speeds or void your warranty.
That has been so for years now ever since XMP has become popular and maybe even earlier, XMP if it exceeds intel mem controller specs is the same thing and also voids warranties. (if you are stupid enough to tell customer service)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2gQ_bOnDx8

Also, the whole 250W issue (is it at base clocks? What does 105W mean then?).
Intel suggests several power limits one for short term turbo (less than a minute on the 10900k) which is PL2 and in this case 250W and one for sustained workloads which is PL1 and 150W.
All of these can be changed by the user or often also by mobo makers turning them way up.

Feb 17, 2021
What a mess. You need specific DDR4 speeds to engage "Gear 1" on one specific processor, and anything higher counts as overclocking. Buy a 3200 kit for an i7 and you now have to use lower speeds or void your warranty. Also, the whole 250W issue (is it at base clocks? What does 105W mean then?).

I don't know, to buy one you have to know so much stuff, it's hardly a plug-and-play decision anymore. Too much confusion.
250w mean it can draw up to 250 watts from your PSU, so if you have a 500 watt PSU, this is basically unusable

Reactions: Soaptrail

Makaveli

Splendid
so if you have a 500 watt PSU, this is basically unusable

This last part of your statement is incorrect as long as you have abit of wattage to spare you will be fine.

So if the cpu uses 250watts on an AVX512 load and the rest of your system is using 150 watts. That putts you at 400watts on a 500watt PSU which is ok.

Granted for me personally I would like alittle bit more headroom than 100 watts since the PSU is most efficient under less than max load the above is not unusable.

Reactions: Phaaze88

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Intel: RKL blasts off (into smithereens)!
Me: You mean Skippy Lake? Yeah, hard PASS on that, I'm waiting on Alder Lake to see if it impresses me more... yawn

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Intel's CPU release strategy. Over promise, under deliver and over charge!

This is getting sad. I had hoped when I heard how under performing these parts were (anandtech early sample, both bios) that Inel would get smart and reduce pricing compared to last gen. Nope they think they can get away with this, which they might. With TSMC unable to keep up with AMD CPU demand folks "might" buy these if they are in stock at least. I guess I am forced to wait for AM5 or for Intel to be competitive again. I guess my old Ivy bridge Xeon will have to hold on a little longer in 4K gaming. At least I am facing a GPU bottleneck for the time being!

D

Deleted member 2838871

Intel shared the final specifications and pricing for its 11th-Gen Core Rocket Lake-S processors.

So as it turns out NOT waiting for the 11th gen and building with the 10900k in December was a pretty good decision. Even building today I can't see why anyone would choose an 11900k over a 10900k if they were going Intel.

You know one of the reasons I've been 100% pro Ryzen since the first generation? I don't have to risk ruining a $500 CPU with delidding and reapplying the TIM in order to get a slightly faster overclock. My 3900X runs at 4.5GHz on all cores with very little effort.
That's a bizarre reason. Especially since Intel moved to a soldered TIM. Pretty much all of Intel's K SKU's hit 5Ghz or more all core, so what achievement 4.5GHz?

I agree... :unsure: I delid my 7700k back in 2017... wasn't necessary with the 10900k that is stable at 5.2ghz all core. Temps are fine with my Z73 360mm AIO.

This last part of your statement is incorrect as long as you have abit of wattage to spare you will be fine.

So if the cpu uses 250watts on an AVX512 load and the rest of your system is using 150 watts. That putts you at 400watts on a 500watt PSU which is ok.

Granted for me personally I would like alittle bit more headroom than 100 watts since the PSU is most efficient under less than max load the above is not unusable.
Latest GPUs draw like 300W by themselves. I think that was his point.
Although The CPU doesn't draw anywhere near 250W for gaming on intel.
Also those limits are user defined so you can lower them, avx offset is a thing and for a gamer it won't have any effect on anything you do.

Price creep = sad

AMD hiked prices on Ryzen 5000 because they were proud that they finally beat Intel
Intel clearly doesn't perceive that AMD has overtaken them.
Intel SHOULD have more leeway to lower pricing given their 100th year on 14nm.

At this point, I'm not interested in having to cool a CPU that draws 250W or more, even if it offers 5% better performance than the 5800X at 120W.
Intel has it all over AMD for budget to mid range gaming builds. As far as getting an unlocked Intel cpu .. those days are fading seeing how you can unlock the multiplier on locked Intel cpu's with a cheap B560 board although there's no real reason to do so unless people think an extra 6 - 8 fps is worth the extra money for cooling.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1634...e-i710700k-review-is-65w-comet-lake-an-option

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I don't see the "lift off"....looks like it blew up on the pad, to me...;)

"In how many ways,
And in how many days,
Can Intel sell the same old-hat?"

--Aristotle, on the day of Intel's 8th, 9th, and 10th generation CPU announcements.

D

Deleted member 2838871

even though you have to essentially destroy your CPU in order to do that.

It was actually pretty easy to do the 7700k... I got a tool from this "Rockit Cool" site that made it idiot proof. Chip locks into place and is delid with 0 chance of breaking it... I reapplied better TIM (liquid metal) and my overall temps dropped about 15C which to me made it worth it for a $40 delid tool purchase. Even better was after the fact I sold it to another guy for $30 so the next cost to me was only $10.

Not required with the new 10900k build... Intel did a better job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Makaveli

g-unit1111

Titan
It was actually pretty easy to do the 7700k... I got a tool from this "Rockit Cool" site that made it idiot proof. Chip locks into place and is delid with 0 chance of breaking it... I reapplied better TIM (liquid metal) and my overall temps dropped about 15C which to me made it worth it for a $40 delid tool purchase. Even better was after the fact I sold it to another guy for $30 so the next cost to me was only $10.

Not required with the new 10900k build... Intel did a better job.

OK that's good to know then. I thought delidding was still a thing but I'm at least glad they fixed that on the 10th generation.

Feb 17, 2021

Sorry, I was over generalizing. But I assume that if you are upgrading to this cpu and you might possibly have a 3080 or something with equivalent TDP you're in a sketchy situation with a 500 watt PSU

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
I guess Tom's Hardware was not able to buy an 11th gen from Mindfactory.de and is still bound by NDA until 3/30.

Anandtech and Hardware luxx were able to buy one and already came up with "temporary" benchmarks that look anyway like the final ones: a BIOS update will not bring a hail Mary double-digit optimization.

11th gen is from time to time faster than Zen 3 for INTEL selected games, but it is NOT for productivity benchmarks and other games. 11th gen can also be behind 10th gen. Disclosure: I don't care about gaming, I use my computers for work, Ryzen 9 and Threadrippers.

11th gen is a bad band-aid from a technological viewpoint but I’m sure INTEL will sell a lot of them. No need to worry for INTEL, with their momentum and financial power they can fool around for several years before finally coming up with a kiss-ass architecture. They have the advantage in terms of attrition war with AMD and ARM. People predicting the death of INTEL are living in Unicorn Land.

Last but not least, INTEL 11th gen is the new best of the best for a very long time: you get a winter heater for free :)

Meanwhile I’ll be waiting for Zen 3 Threadripper and then watch Zen 4 vs. Alder Lake for a possible hardware update early next year.

9th gen K-series CPUs went back solder TIM (like Ryzen). Not sure what the situation is with K/non-K 10th gen chips.

Still not a very strong reason to choose Ryzen based on TIM between the chip and the IHS.

D

Deleted member 2838871

9th gen K-series CPUs went back solder TIM (like Ryzen). Not sure what the situation is with K/non-K 10th gen chips.

The same... delidding not necessary. Just a quality cooler. :LOL: