Intel's Vega-Powered SoC Debuts In VR-Capable 'Hades Canyon' NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.

studmoose

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
I've been waiting over half of a year for this new Hades Canyon to finally appear, camping on the Intel boards and website. There seems to be numerous faults with the Skull Canyon offering, such as excessive noise, high heat and compatibility issues with various hardware. I hope that the Hades Canyon addresses these issues. Now, Intel ME, Meltdown and Spectre enter the equation, and that gives me a bit more to ponder.

The Skull Canyon seems to be a good candidate for running Qubes OS, and it does not have vPro or SIPP installed on it, although iME is still there. I'm not sure if the new chips drag vPro and SIPP along, which would be a drag in itself. As an update to this post, the new chips do not have those vPro / SIPP exposures.

Based on the mediocre operation of the Skull Canyon, I'll wait for others to stress test the unit and go through the bleeding edge pains before I'll jump on these offerings. There are no indications that this would be a smooth ride either.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
But can it run Crysis?

In all seriousness, my kid uses an aging Surface Pro3 to run games like Minecraft, as well as school work, and he's just starting to play bigger games that require more horse power and he'll want to use my computer for that... This is a perfect replacement for his surface!

Status
Not open for further replies.