Question Intel's Xe Graphics Architecture to Support Hardware-Accelerated Ray Tracing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Hmmm... why did Vega fall short? I think they took their eye off the ball of power-efficiency. When Nvidia really pulled ahead was with the Maxwell architecture, which is (not coincidentally) when they made power-efficiency a top priority.

As for price/performance, I think AMD underestimated demand for HBM2, which might've finally fallen more in line with supply. I don't know if you saw, but Vega 56 is recently going for as little as $300. If it had been selling at such a price for long (and were just a bit more power-efficient), I think it'd have been a lot more popular.

I agree the power-efficiency isn't helping at all, but I tend to care a little less about that as I always ensure I have a beefier PSU than needed.

I am tempted to find a good deal on Vega56 myself - considering I have a beefy PSU the Vega56 and its powermod abilities would probably be a good choice ... but, I still want to see what changes Navi brings to the table. I'm just a casual gamer and my aged R9 380x still holds up fairly well at 1080p .. .so I can hold on a few more months. The GTX 1660 actually has a decent price/perf ratio - been giving that one some thought as well ...