Mar 28, 2019
I've been having major packet loss and latency issues on my home network for the last month and a half. I've had absolutely no problems for the last 6-7 years, then all of a sudden out of the blue one day these problems started, almost as if someone flipped a switch. I'm on a very old copper DSL line (5/0.5 plan). After a lot of research and trouble shooting it seems like Fast Path might be the problem.

I'd like to know if switching to Interleaved would improve my stability and help with the packet loss. I've had 3 techs come out over the last month and they all tell me that my home wiring is fine and that it is on my ISP's end (BellMTS). BellMTS is unwilling to do anything about the copper line but assures me that everything looks fine from their end. I believe we were recently switched from Interleaved to Fast Path which might explain the sudden increase in packet loss and instability. I phoned earlier today and the tech I spoke to confirmed that I am on Fast Path. When I asked if he could switch me to Interleaved he told me that they would not be able to do that but would not give me a reason why..

Am I being completely ignorant thinking that Interleaved would help with my packet loss? I really am at a loss. Also, why wouldn't my ISP be able to switch me back to Interleaved? Would I not be contributing less noise to the line considering the lower download speeds?

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
U understood when I said CABLE I mean coax-TV cable right? A completely different vendor/facility from your phone carrier.

U already understood it, something happened, and taking your word that is nothing on your end and the only thing that they switched your DSL protocol, that must be it, that's what interleave does, introduce error correction sacrificing for a little speed. Apparently your ISP think they must have the speed and unwilling to "roll back."
Mar 28, 2019
Go cable. DSL sometimes suxs big and unless they fix the last mile, nothing u can do.

Upgrading is sadly not an option. BellMTS has made it clear they have no intention to upgrade our outdated lines anytime soon. For the last 6-7 years my gaming experience has been flawless and I'm just trying to understand why it has gotten so bad as of late.

U understood when I said CABLE I mean coax-TV cable right? A completely different vendor/facility from your phone carrier.

U already understood it, something happened, and taking your word that is nothing on your end and the only thing that they switched your DSL protocol, that must be it, that's what interleave does, introduce error correction sacrificing for a little speed. Apparently your ISP think they must have the speed and unwilling to "roll back."

Solution
Mar 28, 2019

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.
If I made a request to roll back to Interleave, does that mean they'd have to roll everyone on the line back? I just don't understand why rolling an individual back to interleave would affect them in any negative way.

Have you ruled out congestion on your side? When they came out were they getting the 5/0.5 and low ms?

If you have an extra pc with 2 nics or know how to put your modem on a vlan then you can use ipfire.
I have 6/1 DSL and I have to frequently get on and check what's using bandwidth.
I use QoS on my down and it helps a lot. 1 or 2 downloads can be going and netflix still works.
I also use pihole and squid which helps a little.

With tons of devices now stuff is updating all the time.

lucasrahn09

Reputable
Aug 7, 2016
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it.
If I made a request to roll back to Interleave, does that mean they'd have to roll everyone on the line back? I just don't understand why rolling an individual back to interleave would affect them in any negative way.

There should be no issue with your isp outing you on an inter leave profile. The way dsl works is that you’re on your own dedicated line so any changes wouldn’t affect anyone else. I work for BellTS and it’s really easy to switch from interleave to fast and visa versa.