Question Intermittent restarting during 2 mins of game. No relevant solution found. Please help? I'm lost.

Aug 18, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm having issues with my pc restarting randomly after installing a different gpu. I've searched for days to find solutions but nothings helped. Uninstalled old drivers, installed new ones. Flashed bios. Ran memtest86 no issues. I can't figure it out!

System as follows:
Cpu: Intel I5 3570 3.4ghz
Ram: 16gb (4x corsair ddr3 4gb)
New gpu: Radeon 470rx 4gb
Old gpu: Radeon HD 6500 series
Mobo: Asus p8z68-v gen3
Psu : corsair cx430m

No issues with restating at all before installing this gpu.
Not sure if something to do with mmy specific setup, any help would be greatly appreciated. The restarts ONLY happen when running a game. I can't get past 5 minutes of anything regardless of whether I'm trying doom or among us..

Truly many thank yous to anyone with info

Hi everyone, I'm having issues with my pc restarting randomly after installing a different gpu. I've searched for days to find solutions but nothings helped. Uninstalled old drivers, installed new ones. Flashed bios. Ran memtest86 no issues. I can't figure it out!

System as follows:
Cpu: Intel I5 3570 3.4ghz
Ram: 16gb (4x corsair ddr3 4gb)
New gpu: Radeon 470rx 4gb
Old gpu: Radeon HD 6500 series
Mobo: Asus p8z68-v gen3
Psu : corsair cx430m

No issues with restating at all before installing this gpu.
Not sure if something to do with mmy specific setup, any help would be greatly appreciated. The restarts ONLY happen when running a game. I can't get past 5 minutes of anything regardless of whether I'm trying doom or among us..

Truly many thank yous to anyone with info
You will probably need to replace your 430watt PSU. The minimum required PSU for the RX 470 is 400watt and your unit was not very good when it was new, so it's likely unable to properly supply the GPU. You should look at getting at minimum a 450 and up to 500-550watt. The newer Corsair CX 550 would be a good PSU to consider.

Aug 18, 2020
You will probably need to replace your 430watt PSU. The minimum required PSU for the RX 470 is 400watt and your unit was not very good when it was new, so it's likely unable to properly supply the GPU. You should look at getting at minimum a 450 and up to 500-550watt. The newer Corsair CX 550 would be a good PSU to consider.

Thank you for your reply! Hadn't realised the GPU needed that much. I'll get a new psu when I can. I don't suppose you know of any that's be good at a lesser price? Would any that are 500/550w be OK? The new CX 550 is unfortunately out of my price range at the moment.

Thank you for your reply! Hadn't realised the GPU needed that much. I'll get a new psu when I can. I don't suppose you know of any that's be good at a lesser price? Would any that are 500/550w be OK? The new CX 550 is unfortunately out of my price range at the moment.
I suggested the CX550 so you would have "headroom" for spikes in power draw and I usually suggest people buy a PSU with at least 100watts more capacity than recommended. You will also have more options available to you with the 550watt if you decided to upgrade to a faster GPU in the future.

500watts should be good enough, but if the Corsair is out of your budget, you many not be able to find many 500-550watt that are not garbage. 450watt would probably work, but I would still recommend minimum 500watt. You also need to make sure the 450watt has at least 1x6+2 pin PCIE cable. The Corsair CX450 or CX450M might work fine, but avoid the CV450.

One thing you can do before buying a new PSU, is you could try undervolting your RX470 and see if it that stops or help the problem of restarts. I don't know what AMD Radeon control panel software is available to you, but I guess the newer versions may have the overclocking settings built in. Otherwise you can just use MSI Afterburner instead and lower the power limit a little at a time to see if it helps. 95% power would be a good starting point with Afterburner. There is also the posibility your GPU is overheating and causing the restart, so lowering the power limit should also decrease temperatures, or you can unlink power and temperature in Afterburner, to set a lower maximum temperature.

Aug 18, 2020
I suggested the CX550 so you would have "headroom" for spikes in power draw and I usually suggest people buy a PSU with at least 100watts more capacity than recommended. You will also have more options available to you with the 550watt if you decided to upgrade to a faster GPU in the future.

500watts should be good enough, but if the Corsair is out of your budget, you many not be able to find many 500-550watt that are not garbage. 450watt would probably work, but I would still recommend minimum 500watt. You also need to make sure the 450watt has at least 1x6+2 pin PCIE cable. The Corsair CX450 or CX450M might work fine, but avoid the CV450.

One thing you can do before buying a new PSU, is you could try undervolting your RX470 and see if it that stops or help the problem of restarts. I don't know what AMD Radeon control panel software is available to you, but I guess the newer versions may have the overclocking settings built in. Otherwise you can just use MSI Afterburner instead and lower the power limit a little at a time to see if it helps. 95% power would be a good starting point with Afterburner. There is also the posibility your GPU is overheating and causing the restart, so lowering the power limit should also decrease temperatures, or you can unlink power and temperature in Afterburner, to set a lower maximum temperature.

Thanks again for your thought out and incredibly helpful response!
I had already downloaded Afterburner to test the temp and fans earlier. The temp is at a steady 50ish degrees and fans work well. I did as you said and lowered the core voltage, nothing changed until i got to - 50 and the game I've been testing (Injustice 2) ran for a whole match! Whereas before it was only lasting 2-3 minutes, not even loading the menu, however it did still shutdown. I booted up again and tried lowering it further up to -100 but it cuts out at roughly the same point regardless of how much past -50 i go. I played around with the other tools such as temp but nothing further changed.

Would this still indicate that the issue lies with the PSU? Or because it switched off even after lowering the voltage could it be something else ? i.e. mobo?

When it does switch off its very abrupt. Just goes completely out in half a second.

Would you advise against a Corsair TX550M?

Would this still indicate that the issue lies with the PSU? Or because it switched off even after lowering the voltage could it be something else ? i.e. mobo?

When it does switch off its very abrupt. Just goes completely out in half a second.
It's possible that there is something wrong with the motherboard. Possibly something wrong with the CPU socket pins or some other component on the motherboard. It might also be a problem with the ram, either a faulty module(s) or possibly the timings need to be loosened if you are running more than one kit to equal 4x4GB.

If you have thermal paste to reapply, you could try reseating the CPU as well as check the CPU socket for any broken or bent pins. Also, you could try running the ram at default settings of 1066 or 1333 if you have 1600 or faster modules. This would be a faster way to check if the ram timings need to be adjusted or possibly need more voltage.

Edit - Also, you may want to run a memory test with memtest86 for at least one full pass on the default test.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020
It's possible that there is something wrong with the motherboard. Possibly something wrong with the CPU socket pins or some other component on the motherboard. It might also be a problem with the ram, either a faulty module(s) or possibly the timings need to be loosened if you are running more than one kit to equal 4x4GB.

If you have thermal paste to reapply, you could try reseating the CPU as well as check the CPU socket for any broken or bent pins. Also, you could try running the ram at default settings of 1066 or 1333 if you have 1600 or faster modules. This would be a faster way to check if the ram timings need to be adjusted or possibly need more voltage.

The CPU has recently been replaced due to previous issues. New fan unit and thermal paste applied too. I created a bootable USB and ran Memtest86+, it took 1.5hr and came back with no issues on ram. Not sure if that means anything in relation to what you're saying tho?

Otherwise im not sure how to change the ram settings, ill have a google and see if i can play with it. I'm going to order a new PSU anyway and hope thats the issue!

The CPU has recently been replaced due to previous issues. New fan unit and thermal paste applied too. I created a bootable USB and ran Memtest86+, it took 1.5hr and came back with no issues on ram. Not sure if that means anything in relation to what you're saying tho?

Otherwise im not sure how to change the ram settings, ill have a google and see if i can play with it. I'm going to order a new PSU anyway and hope thats the issue!
If nothing else is having issues, then it likely is just the PSU that is the problem.