Question Internal cabling to use IDE HDD in 2023 PC

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
What cables would I need? I'm assuming I'd need an IDE female to SATA male? And for power, I do have a molex power cable for my PSU, but what's the female end to the HDD? I no longer remember. :(

I'm going to get it off Frozen CPU.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Reactions: ReveurGAM

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Yeah, the StarTech adapter won't work - the IDE needs to be female, not male. Thanks anyways!
This Amazon search yielded some promising results. Though I'd probably power the drive separately and not use the adapter's included power plug.
Yeah. That's more like what I need. Some of them don't seem to power the drive, though, and the board looks like it might block the power port. I'm trying to find the right one on Frozen CPU but haven't had luck yet. 75% off everything there.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
What are you trying to do with this drive?

There are many IDE - USB dock things.
Primarily to back up data on old IDE HDDs. I'm not planning on using them long-term unless they're big enough to make it worthwhile, and then I'll just use it to backup data and store it away.

USAFRet

Titan
Primarily to back up data on old IDE HDDs. I'm not planning on using them long-term unless they're big enough to make it worthwhile, and then I'll just use it to backup data and store it away.
I had one similar to this:

Theres also these toaster style docks:

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I've got dozens of old 2.5" and 3.5" IDE drives and even a few full height 5.25" ST-412 drives from the 1980s. Many of these drives are still working, but each time I go through them, I'm not surprised if another one fails. One of my 80-pin SCSI drives in a RAID system died recently, but no data was lost.

I still have a number of old PCs with motherboard IDE interfaces, but I'm not sure if I'd want to trust backups on old IDE drives. You could spread the risk with copies on multiple drives, but if you have just one backup of important files on a single IDE drive, consider additional backups on alternative media. Better safe than sorry.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I've got dozens of old 2.5" and 3.5" IDE drives and even a few full height 5.25" ST-412 drives from the 1980s. Many of these drives are still working, but each time I go through them, I'm not surprised if another one fails. One of my 80-pin SCSI drives in a RAID system died recently, but no data was lost.

I still have a number of old PCs with motherboard IDE interfaces, but I'm not sure if I'd want to trust backups on old IDE drives. You could spread the risk with copies on multiple drives, but if you have just one backup of important files on a single IDE drive, consider additional backups on alternative media. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks, I'm sure you're right!