[SOLVED] Internal HDDs eject option problem (Simple solution fixes have been tried)

shiro01

Commendable
Dec 20, 2017
So a few days ago one of my PSUs fried, all of my PC components were safe, but once I bought and installed a new PSU I saw the two internal HDDs eject able option. Worse yet, my computer was fully treating them as external HDDs, making things slow and sometimes buggy (The middle mouse button action pressed randomly, duplicating and closing tabs). Determined to get to the bottom of this, I tried a variety of fixes which involved in order from top to bottom:

Installing windows 10 on the second HDD (First HDD had Windows 7)
Updating drivers for the motherboard (Intel rapid storage, chipset, VGA, Sound and verifying BIOS is up to date.)
Resetting the BIOS via removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes
Verifying the Enable Write option in the HDD was on, and the quick removal option was tuned off.
Checking and replacing the SATA cables connected from the motherboard to the HDDs
Going into Regedit and applying the reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d 0/1/2/3 'fix'
Running a full virus scan using Kapersky premium trial. (I found a miner in appdata but nothing else)
Checking the BIOS options to make sure Hotswappable wasn't on, and even changing the SATA setting from AHCI to IDE (Which gave me an error after booting saying that the boot drive was inaccessible )
And finally formatting and uninstalling the first HDD, which surprisingly fixed the issue it seemed since it was no longer showing up in device manager as eject able and was faster to load files and copy in.

Unfortunately, after restarting my computer the HDD once again is showing up as eject able. I have no idea why my computer is dead set on treating my HDDs as externals despite everything I've done, I'm hoping someone here can solve this puzzle.

I'm running WIndows 10,
I have a Toshiba 2 TB HDD and a Hidachi 1 TB HDD, both internal.
My motherboard is an H81H3-M4 by ECS.
I have an intel i5 4460 CPU
I'm running the integrated graphics from said CPU
My PSU is an X tech 500w non certified.

EDIT: I also tried the different SATA ports, same issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Update: I noticed my Hidachi is slightly slower then my Toshiba at loading and recognizing files (despite having the same RPM and SATA speeds), so I installed windows 10 on my Toshiba. Once I did that, the eject internal HDD issue cropped up again, however booting up to windows was still faster then the Hidachi. However, the files are once again in a buggy state and I cannot access them this time as it takes too long to load the data, even from music files. I even installed the intel RST on it to check and it verified my drives as internal despite me being able to eject them (and did the regedit fixes too to no avail). I went back to my Hidachi as a boot drive and the eject issue isn't around again, it's still slower then my Toshiba at...

shiro01

Commendable
Dec 20, 2017
My problem was finally fixed. It turns out, the older PSU I used was the issue. I'm assuming it just didn't give enough juice proper? Either way, yet another lesson in never being cheapo on a PSU, the new 750 Rosewell I purchased seems to have done the trick for my PC.

shiro01

Commendable
Dec 20, 2017
Update: I noticed my Hidachi is slightly slower then my Toshiba at loading and recognizing files (despite having the same RPM and SATA speeds), so I installed windows 10 on my Toshiba. Once I did that, the eject internal HDD issue cropped up again, however booting up to windows was still faster then the Hidachi. However, the files are once again in a buggy state and I cannot access them this time as it takes too long to load the data, even from music files. I even installed the intel RST on it to check and it verified my drives as internal despite me being able to eject them (and did the regedit fixes too to no avail). I went back to my Hidachi as a boot drive and the eject issue isn't around again, it's still slower then my Toshiba at booting and loading files though now I can play them. I also checked using Hidachi as the boot drive and once again my Toshiba is faster at loading, playing and copying files within it's space, despite that not being the case when I used it as a boot drive for windows 10.

At this point, I'm just gonna throw in the towel and use my Hidachi as a boot drive since it's giving me the least amount of issues. I'm assuming it's either the Motherboard or my storage now, so I'm just going to have to upgrade. Anyone else who has this issue, I hope you'll have better luck then me.

Last edited:
Solution