[SOLVED] Internal SSD upgrade on laptop, unallocated space

Jun 16, 2020
Hi,

I recently upgraded my internal SSD (WD Black SN750 NVMe M.2) on my Lenovo T460s with Windows 10. After resolving (hopefully resolved) some issues with restoring from my backup image (I was stuck at blue window loading screen, which was somehow resolved by entering and exiting safe mode), I was able to log into my PC. However, my C drive capacity is still at 237GB like before the SSD upgrade. The other ~700GB is unallocated according to Disk Management.

1. Is this a normal occurrence?
  2. Should I be concerned with this situation?
  3. What is the recommended way to extend and claim the unallocated space?

Thank you for your help.

Solution
You'll need to delete or move that 626MB partition.

Either commandline diskpart, or a tool such as Minitool Partition Wizard.

Then, you can Extend the C partition into the Unallocated 693.04GB space.
Jun 16, 2020
Thank you for the reply. I was able to extend the C partition using the Minitool Partition Wizard. I did some further research to learn that an unallocated space after an SSD upgrade can occur like this post.

So the answers to my questions are:
  1. Unallocated space could happen after SSD upgrade.
  2. Since others have experienced similar situation, I should probably not worry about what I experienced during the SSD replacement.
  3. Commandline diskpart, Minitool Partition Wizard, or other tools are available to clam the unallocated space.

Thank you USAFRet.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. The unallocated space happens when the source drive or partition is smaller than the target. It only creates a partition of the original size, leaving the rest Unallocated.
  2. It is a bit frustrating, but absolutely normal. You did nothing wrong, and your drive is fine
  3. Yes, there are multiple tools to manage that.

Reactions: Nyurons