Internet connection drops when GPU under load

May 29, 2018
I've had the same setup for about 2-3 years now, but starting last week, I've been getting connection drops whenever my GPU is under load. Regular downloading, streaming, installing games, etc. all work at normal speeds, but any multiplayer game I play causes my download speed to dip to basically 0, eventually disconnecting me from the lobby. It instantly reconnects as soon as I leave an active game (I don't even have to close the game, just disconnect from the game in progress). I can alleviate this disconnect issue by turning all my graphics to lowest, whereby I can stay connected but with frequent lag spikes and generally poor connection.

I originally thought the GPU might be sapping too much power so I upgraded my PSU, but that hasn't solved the issue. I'm out of ideas...replace wifi card maybe? Even though it works perfectly when the GPU isn't being taxed?

Solution

If you...

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
gfx cards draw power through the pcie slot, as well as the power connector; so there is a chance the mobo is struggling to supply power for some reason.

Any other recent changes to the system??

You could try a different set of USB ports for the wifi dongle, or run a temporary ethernet connection if possible, to see if that works.

May 29, 2018

No, I haven't changed anything in my setup, except the PSU upgrade I made specifically to try to solve this problem. Running an ethernet cable isn't a solution for me right now. I've been thinking of trying to replace the wifi adapter next, but I hadn't thought of the motherboard being a possible issue too. Is there a way for me to narrow down which of the two is the more likely culprit?

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

If you have a powered USB hub, you could try using the dongle on that; since it would get its power from the hub, rather than from the psu. No guarantees though.
If it works, and it stops the issue, it would show the mobo to be the cause.

Solution