internet connection sharing

drew

My high speed internet comes into my pc running xp thru a
cisco pci card. i have a microsoft mn-700 router hooked
up, and am trying to network three computers. The
network works great, except the internet connection. I
am trying to share the cisco card with the other ethernet
card in my xp computer so that it will share on the
network, but when i enable the network card that is
hooked up to the network, my computer looses internet, it
tries to access the internet thru that ethernet adapter
instead of the cisco. Please help, i have been working
on this for several weeks, and can not come up with
anything. I will take any suggestions.
thanks,
drew

Hi Drew;
First of all in almost every case where you use a router you do not use
Internet Connectio Sharing (ICS).
You shoud have your modem connected to the WAN port of the router and the
other computers connected to the LAN ports. The router should be set to be a
DHCP server and the computer to get an IP automactically.
What happened to you is that the ICS tried to act as a DHCP server and so
did the router causing a conflict on the system.
Check this very good web site if you need more help setting your system up
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
HTH;
TomA