Question Internet in Student Rooms HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2023
Hello,

I am converting a commercial property into residential for students, the two storey property is roughly 4,000 sq/ft.

I would like every room to have access to a 1gb wi-fi connection and also access to an ethernet port for students that require direct.

How best to go about doing this?

Some solutions that have been proposed...

Virgin Wireless Router -> Switch -> (Cameras), (10 Ethernet cables), (Wi-fi Access Points).

I don't have any tech knowledge, but to me this option appears over-reliant on and adding stress to the wireless router.

May 17, 2023
That is almost impossible.

Hire a local networking person to config and install this for you.
A 1 time payment to him is far better than you flailing about and getting it wrong.
The virgin media internet package will be 1gb but obviously the actual speed will be much lower.

I did consult with a local professional regarding the best set-up and that was the solution he proposed...

USAFRet

Titan
The virgin media internet package will be 1gb but obviously the actual speed will be much lower.

I did consult with a local professional regarding the best set-up and that was the solution he proposed...
Even just a single system to a 1gb router and outside connection, 1gb via WiFi is near impossible.

But yes, your basic concept is OK.

ISP -> router -> switch -> devices.

May 17, 2023
Any thoughts on whether all those wired devices and access points will be a strain on the router?

My other thought was to somehow split the wired and the wireless connection via a modem.

Modem -> switch -> (Cameras, 10 Ethernet cables) Wireless Router -> Access Points

Perhaps my thinking is wrong.

USAFRet

Titan
Any thoughts on whether all those wired devices and access points will be a strain on the router?

My other thought was to somehow split the wired and the wireless connection via a modem.

Modem -> switch -> (Cameras, 10 Ethernet cables) Wireless Router -> Access Points

Perhaps my thinking is wrong.
No, that cannot work.

The modem talks to the ISP, and ONE device, the router.
The router serves up all the internal IP addresses. Either wired or WiFi.

Very often, the modem and router are the same box.

For security I would set all wifi access points to be on a "guest" network with isolation. So students can't hack into another student's webcam for example, or steal their credit card data etc...

For the ethernet access, I would set up each apartment to have it's own VLAN, so they can communicate with their own devices, but not with another apartment.

I would also use an x86 router with CAKE or FQ_CODEL QOS Traffic Shaping because these kids like to game and update their game consoles. 2 game consoles updating at the same time will saturate gigabit ethernet and slow down the rest of the people on the same network. CAKE QOS will help traffic shape in an equitable manner. But an off the shelf router isn't powerful enough to do it. I built my own router to do it, but there are higher end off-the shelf commercial solutions with an x86 processor. If you don't want to go this route, due to expense, I would bandwidth limit each person to say 200mbps. If there are still complaints, bandwidth limit lower to say 150mbps then 100mbps. You can set a bandwidth limiter on the network switch, assuming it's a decent managed switch. You would need a managed switch for VLAN's anyways. For the wifi access points, I would set the access point to have full speed on the LAN port, but using the access point's managed software, set the access point itself to limit bandwidth.

USAFRet

Titan
For security I would set all wifi access points to be on a "guest" network with isolation. So students can't hack into another student's webcam for example, or steal their credit card data etc...

For the ethernet access, I would set up each apartment to have it's own VLAN, so they can communicate with their own devices, but not with another apartment.

I would also use an x86 router with CAKE or FQ_CODEL QOS Traffic Shaping because these kids like to game and update their game consoles. 2 game consoles updating at the same time will saturate gigabit ethernet and slow down the rest of the people on the same network. CAKE QOS will help traffic shape in an equitable manner. But an off the shelf router isn't powerful enough to do it. I built my own router to do it, but there are higher end off-the shelf commercial solutions with an x86 processor. If you don't want to go this route, due to expense, I would bandwidth limit each person to say 200mbps. If there are still complaints, bandwidth limit lower to say 150mbps then 100mbps. You can set a bandwidth limiter on the network switch, assuming it's a decent managed switch. You would need a managed switch for VLAN's anyways. For the wifi access points, I would set the access point to have full speed on the LAN port, but using the access point's managed software, set the access point itself to limit bandwidth.
From the OP....
"I don't have any tech knowledge,..."

This is why I recommended hiring some local tech to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.