[SOLVED] Internet lag horrible, started rubberbanding about 2 weeks ago

BigCapitalist

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
I move between two homes on the weekends and use a mobile hotspot to game on the weekends, all of the sudden as of less than 2 weeks ago my internet starts rubberbanding horribly every few seconds. I have ATT and use a wireless connection at one home (not mobile) and it runs smooth as butter, then my mobile hotspot is T Mobile and it used to run just as well but now is completely useless!!!

It comes down to one of two things, its either my phone that is doing this, or the more likely culprit, its T Mobile. I know they probably don't want people gaming on their internet (for whatever reason) and I feel as if this is like a punishment from them. Of course they would never say that if I call them, they will tell me the speeds are fine, and that it is most likely my hardware, and "lets file a report with technical support". Yeah ive gone through that crap before and im about to tell them to go :eek: themselves...

Anyways, sorry for venting there. Is this T Mobile or my phone and how would I tell? I did a speed and ping test, the speed is fine but the ping test shoots up like a rollercoaster all over the place.

Solution
Mobile networks are designed primarily to favor the "mobile" function in the network. They sacrifice consistent latency (ie ping) for connectivity. Games require consistent ping times. Pretty much their design is opposing concepts so they will not function well together.

It is hard to say how well mobile will work. If you can get on a cell tower that you get strong signal from and is not congested games can work ok. If you are in a area with lots of people using the towers it is very hit and miss. You can be on a very strong tower and the ISP will move you to a weaker one to help balance the users on their network.

Pretty much you want to avoid using any online game that requires consistent ping times to perform on...

BigCapitalist

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
My signal strength is fine, full signal, I can stream in HD if I want, maybe even higher if I tried with no problems. Only my PC is connected to the hotspot.

What's driving me nuts is that 2 weeks ago it was fine, and it was fine for months before that, but now its unusable for gaming.

BigCapitalist

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
then I tried usb tethering, still does the same thing. It used to be fine, and now it is literally unusable, im calling T Mobile tomorrow and telling them to shut it off. Paying 85 bucks a month just to get pissed off!

Mobile networks are designed primarily to favor the "mobile" function in the network. They sacrifice consistent latency (ie ping) for connectivity. Games require consistent ping times. Pretty much their design is opposing concepts so they will not function well together.

It is hard to say how well mobile will work. If you can get on a cell tower that you get strong signal from and is not congested games can work ok. If you are in a area with lots of people using the towers it is very hit and miss. You can be on a very strong tower and the ISP will move you to a weaker one to help balance the users on their network.

Pretty much you want to avoid using any online game that requires consistent ping times to perform on mobile broadband...in fact any even wifi has major issues when there is lots of interference from neighbors using wifi.

Solution