Hi Everyone

I'm using XP Pro and IE6 and don't know where to post this question, so
here's a good start in the hope that someone can point me in the right
direction. Apologies in advance if anyone is irritated by a mis-post!

A friend has a web-site registered in their name www.myname.com and it's
hosted by an ISP. Whenever we enter the site name in the address bar of
IE6, it accepts it and then finds the site but the address changes to
something unwieldy, such as
www.yourISP.com/SubscribersPages/20MegLimit/MyName/home. How can we arrange
for the address bar to display the former, rather than the latter? I wonder
if we ought to go down the route of hosting the pages on a PC (presumably
with a backup, just in case the "primary" PC goes down for some reason and
any hits could be directed to the "secondary" PC?).

As you'll guess, we know very little about this so guidance would be
appreciated. We could approach the person who actually uploads the web
pages to the ISP server but we're keen to explore this ourselves, almost as
an academic exercise!

Thanks for your time and patience and apologies once again if this post is
considered inappropriate. We've tried Googling but are thoroughly confused
by what we've seen!

"Tosca" wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I'm using XP Pro and IE6 and don't know where to post this question, so
> here's a good start in the hope that someone can point me in the right
> direction. Apologies in advance if anyone is irritated by a mis-post!
>
> A friend has a web-site registered in their name www.myname.com and it's
> hosted by an ISP. Whenever we enter the site name in the address bar of
> IE6, it accepts it and then finds the site but the address changes to
> something unwieldy, such as
> www.yourISP.com/SubscribersPages/20MegLimit/MyName/home. How can we arrange
> for the address bar to display the former, rather than the latter? I wonder
> if we ought to go down the route of hosting the pages on a PC (presumably
> with a backup, just in case the "primary" PC goes down for some reason and
> any hits could be directed to the "secondary" PC?).
>
> As you'll guess, we know very little about this so guidance would be
> appreciated. We could approach the person who actually uploads the web
> pages to the ISP server but we're keen to explore this ourselves, almost as
> an academic exercise!
>
> Thanks for your time and patience and apologies once again if this post is
> considered inappropriate. We've tried Googling but are thoroughly confused
> by what we've seen!

Go to this web site and enter your question. Provide a real URL so that the
folks can veiw the page's source code:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=Prod_officebeta&slcid=us

Contact the ISP first and see if they are causing the change.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Tosca wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I'm using XP Pro and IE6 and don't know where to post this question,
> so here's a good start in the hope that someone can point me in the
> right direction. Apologies in advance if anyone is irritated by a
> mis-post!
>
> A friend has a web-site registered in their name www.myname.com and
> it's hosted by an ISP. Whenever we enter the site name in the
> address bar of IE6, it accepts it and then finds the site but the
> address changes to something unwieldy, such as
> www.yourISP.com/SubscribersPages/20MegLimit/MyName/home. How can we
> arrange for the address bar to display the former, rather than the
> latter? I wonder if we ought to go down the route of hosting the
> pages on a PC (presumably with a backup, just in case the "primary"
> PC goes down for some reason and any hits could be directed to the
> "secondary" PC?).
>
> As you'll guess, we know very little about this so guidance would be
> appreciated. We could approach the person who actually uploads the
> web pages to the ISP server but we're keen to explore this ourselves,
> almost as an academic exercise!
>
> Thanks for your time and patience and apologies once again if this
> post is considered inappropriate. We've tried Googling but are
> thoroughly confused by what we've seen!

You would need to ask the Web Host about URL "masking".

http://www.freeparking.com/default.asp?f=9
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Thank you Kath - that is the term which I did not know and will prove
useful. We'll contact the ISP and ask about it. The link that you provided
says it all - the impact of having your own name/company as the address is
lost if it's converted to a meaningless series of words by the ISP.