Question Internet sometimes cuts out for a few seconds / Wifi is extremely slow

signum_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
I just moved into a new place, and thankfully, the internet here is a lot better than it was in my parent's home. I usually get a consistent 90 Mbps download as well as 15-20 Mbps upload. The problem is, it just cuts out completely 3 or 4 seconds, sometimes longer. The frequency of this seems to be inconsistent, and I have not been able to recognize a pattern with it. Sometimes it's every 2 minutes, sometimes I can go 1 or 2 hours without it happening. I have tried updating the router's firmware, I switched the LAN cable out for a completely new one, nothing seems to help.

Now this all just happens when using a wired connection. It's a whole different story when using the Wifi from my Phone. For some odd reason, about half the time of using it at all, the Wifi is ungodly slow. about 20-50 Kbps. It becomes unusable. Then sometimes it just disconnects completely for a few minutes. I know that the router isn't just "that bad", because I've been able to get 60 Mbps download on my phone. My new apartment is tiny, so I am always extremely close to the router. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Anyone have an idea what the problem(s) may be and if they're maybe connected somehow?

signum_

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
Use wifi diagnostic tools (android) and look at the history of the signal strength.

Are you using a frequency band which might be affected by radar?

My router only supports 2.4 GHz and I don't even really know what "affected by radar" means :sweatsmile:

But regardless, wouldn't that only affect devices that are connected with wifi? Why would it cause problems for my PC?

My router only supports 2.4 GHz and I don't even really know what "affected by radar" means :sweatsmile:

But regardless, wouldn't that only affect devices that are connected with wifi? Why would it cause problems for my PC?

I misread your quote when you said you used WiFi on your phone.

It's possible your router is unstable, on it's last legs, or overheating. Have you tried a factory reset?

Routers do die, and there are awful unstable models out there, even from big brands.