Interview: Bigfoot's Killer NIC, Exposed

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwarden

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
always when i look on BN then name Ageia comes to my mind,
Ageia was same like BN firm with innovative idea, winning awards, receiving great funding capital, (ageia even took over several smaller physics related firms) and releasing PPU card

and now similarity -
- it was overpriced, niche market and
>> sell for 50 USD with 266MHz / 32MB model and be sure it outsells the 150 USD model 10+ times ...

- no PCIe variant
>> where is PCIexpress 1x variant of Killer ?

- no special variants
where is server variant for any customer?
>>2 years w/o answer but at least now it's for developers and 'huge' partners
(any solid game server / VOIP hosting company would consider anything to improve services)

so when BN does something what turns the tide ? :)
*Dwarden*

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Even if this card didnt do TCP offloading, I would love to see it do it, even if its an option to turn it off or on, or it auto turns itself off during games. That way CPU usage will be less when I am not in a game.

I am dissapointed that this card does not offload tcp. I can see how it would increase lag, bug when I am not in a game, its better to have this option on as it helps out withh my cpu usage which still runs high.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
THe thing is gamers are not always gamers. So when you are not playing a game or using UDP, then your system is no better then a system with a crappy nic that runs a gigabit speeds.

When gigabit cards came out, there was a lot of features the card could handle on the nic, tcp offloading. checksums etc. So making it faster to access your NAS or whatever network device that serves up date, while helping to decrese cpu usage.

So using the killer nic, will optimize only for gaming where all the other every day to day functions go down hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.