Annette

I had to do an update on my computer. I went through a validation process and
was told that my product key is invalid. I called microsoft and they varified
my product key as being valid. What can I do I really need help.

SOLUTION!!

You can get critical updates even if you fail the Windows Genuine Advantage
software validation software by turning on automatic updates.

Or, you can get all the updates through Windows Update by doing the
following: Open Internet Explorer go to Tools, Internet Options, Programs,
Manage Add-ons and disable Windows Genine Advantage Active X contol, close
Explorer and go to Windows Update. You can now update with no problem.

"Annette" wrote:

> I had to do an update on my computer. I went through a validation process and
> was told that my product key is invalid. I called microsoft and they varified
> my product key as being valid. What can I do I really need help.

Still another example of the failure rate of Microsoft's WGA (Windows
Genuine Authenication) system. There have been "published" work-around that
describe how to by-pass this "failure".

Also, MS has stated that any critical security update will always be
available to anyone, legal or not. But they did not mention how to get
them.

"Annette" <Annette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to do an update on my computer. I went through a validation process
>and
> was told that my product key is invalid. I called microsoft and they
> varified
> my product key as being valid. What can I do I really need help.

Just today, I hit the WGA brick wall of sorts. I started a fresh XP
install on my workbench PC. (Creating new base image). Anyway,
after setup completed, I wanted to get all the critical updates. I had
opted to Activate later after some other things were done to the PC.
(Change/Add some hardware to it).

Microsoft Update wouldn't allow me access to updates, as it stated
the XP install wasn't activated. So now you may have 60-days to
activate - but can't get Critical updates until.....(Yada, Yada)....
Not a big issue, but needless to say an inconvenience.

> Still another example of the failure rate of Microsoft's WGA (Windows
> Genuine Authenication) system. There have been "published" work-around
> that describe how to by-pass this "failure".
>
> Also, MS has stated that any critical security update will always be
> available to anyone, legal or not. But they did not mention how to get
> them.
>

> "Annette" <Annette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I had to do an update on my computer. I went through a validation process
>>and
>> was told that my product key is invalid. I called microsoft and they
>> varified
>> my product key as being valid. What can I do I really need help.

Interesting. I tested your theory. Automatic updates does not work. And
the Windows Update log says it violates current regulations.

I see no Windows Genuine Advantage Active X controls in the Manage Add-ons
in 4 computers I checked that are valid and work properly.

Tom

Annette wrote:
> I had to do an update on my computer. I went through a validation
> process and was told that my product key is invalid. I called
> microsoft and they varified my product key as being valid. What can I
> do I really need help.

And you didn't ask the folks at MS when you were on the phone?

You should demand that MS fix there problem! If they refuse, then you
should contact your state attorney general, the better business bureau,
your local news station!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Tom I just checked my desktop for the "Windows Genuine Advantage Active X"
and the add-on is listed as Jerryrock said in his message. I then checked
my laptop and it is listed there too. I did not bothered to check the other
computers nor did I try to run the update since I had just updated all
computers last night.

Bquinn

:
: I see no Windows Genuine Advantage Active X controls in the Manage Add-ons
: in 4 computers I checked that are valid and work properly.
:
: Tom
: "jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:40597F09-40C7-4D04-BB2E-34BFD68E5711@microsoft.com...
: | SOLUTION!!
: |
: | You can get critical updates even if you fail the Windows Genuine
: Advantage
: | software validation software by turning on automatic updates.
: |
: | Or, you can get all the updates through Windows Update by doing the
: | following: Open Internet Explorer go to Tools, Internet Options,
Programs,
: | Manage Add-ons and disable Windows Genine Advantage Active X contol,
close
: | Explorer and go to Windows Update. You can now update with no problem.
: |
: | "Annette" wrote:
: |
: | > I had to do an update on my computer. I went through a validation
: process and
: | > was told that my product key is invalid. I called microsoft and they
: varified
: | > my product key as being valid. What can I do I really need help.
:
:

<MSN> Me, too! </MSN>

(<psst> Change the view to "Add-ons that have been used..." <w>)

Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
> I see no Windows Genuine Advantage Active X controls in the Manage Add-ons
> in 4 computers I checked that are valid and work properly.

I already did that, ~Robear. Nothing listed.

Tom

| <MSN> Me, too! </MSN>
|
| (<psst> Change the view to "Add-ons that have been used..." <w>)
|
| Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
| > I see no Windows Genuine Advantage Active X controls in the Manage
Add-ons
| > in 4 computers I checked that are valid and work properly.

Been to Windows Update lately?

Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
> I already did that, ~Robear. Nothing listed.
>
> Tom

> > <MSN> Me, too! </MSN>
> >
> > (<psst> Change the view to "Add-ons that have been used..." <w>)
> >
> > Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
> > > I see no Windows Genuine Advantage Active X controls in the Manage
> > > Add-ons in 4 computers I checked that are valid and work properly.

Whoops..just did it again, and NOW it's listed. Wonder why it wasn't
before?

Tom
| Been to Windows Update lately?
|
| Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
| > I already did that, ~Robear. Nothing listed.
| >
| > Tom
| >
| > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > > <MSN> Me, too! </MSN>
| > >
| > > (<psst> Change the view to "Add-ons that have been used..." <w>)

Yep. Did it again just now. Nothing.

Tom

| Been to Windows Update lately?
|
| Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
| > I already did that, ~Robear. Nothing listed.
| >
| > Tom
| >
| > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > > <MSN> Me, too! </MSN>
| > >
| > > (<psst> Change the view to "Add-ons that have been used..." <w>)

<ROFL> Did you have to install WGA-related ActiveX before WU would scan for
updates?

Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
> Whoops..just did it again, and NOW it's listed. Wonder why it wasn't
> before?
>
> Tom
> > Been to Windows Update lately?
> >
> > Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
> > > I already did that, ~Robear. Nothing listed.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >
> > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nope. It had been done and used before and tested several times over the
past few days.

Tom
| <ROFL> Did you have to install WGA-related ActiveX before WU would scan
for
| updates?
|
| Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
| > Whoops..just did it again, and NOW it's listed. Wonder why it wasn't
| > before?
| >
| > Tom
| > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > > Been to Windows Update lately?

Manage

Your frammis might have gotten disconnected from the phaseometer inducer.
I'd check it out ASAP. <eg>

Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
> Nope. It had been done and used before and tested several times over the
> past few days.
>
> Tom
> > <ROFL> Did you have to install WGA-related ActiveX before WU would
> > scan for updates?
> >
> > Tom Pepper Willett wrote:
> > > Whoops..just did it again, and NOW it's listed. Wonder why it wasn't
> > > before?
> > >
> > > Tom
> > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

Make sure you select "add-ons that have been used by internet Explorer" It
gives you a bigger list , Windows Genuine Advantage should be there