ioSafe Jolts Thunderbolt SSD RAID With 1,000,000 Volts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to vote with the Electricity is a lazy bastard and took the easy path(as it does).It will just pass on the outside of the case and into the holders conductive suit, find its way to ground and call it a day :).

Still cool to see, but I bet even my cheap aluminum enclosure would pull the same trick.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]I am going to vote with the Electricity is a lazy bastard and took the easy path(as it does).It will just pass on the outside of the case and into the holders conductive suit, find its way to ground and call it a day .Still cool to see, but I bet even my cheap aluminum enclosure would pull the same trick.[/citation]
Well said. This is a marketing stunt. Nothing more.

unther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Well in a short circuit condition the amount of power that is there is crazy. A short circuit can create something called and arc flash explosion and if you are even remotely close to it, it can kill you. The electric current does not even have to pass through you body to do it, the explosion and bits of molten metal are more than enough. The amount of current needed to kill someone is 10-15mA across the heart will kill IIRC, not much considering the standard house circuit at the most carries 12.5A here in Canada(15A breaker loaded to 80%).

Really, all things considered in a short circuit condition or even a surge people would be surprised at what is available. Transformers follow a simple rule power in must equal power out plus losses, so if you put too high of a voltage a transformer you will get a higher than normal voltage out. The same goes for current because voltage and current are linked (ohm's law).

Oh yeah the phase to ground voltage on 3-pahse 480 volt WYE system is 277V, on a 3-phase DELTA system the voltage is just 480V. The current on a 50A 3phase breaker is 50A EACH phase.

@Soiledbottom I am surprised to hear that hear that the breaker saved your life, normal breakers do not trip fast enough to save someone's life. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish your death or something like that, it just you can count yourself extremely lucky.

On a side note GFIs can save your life.

Electricity when it gets to that level even with little current as shown in the video is very dangerous, respect the power that is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.