IP address for Remote Desktop Web Connection

How do I get the IP address for my remote computer so it
can be accessed over the web? It is behind a DSL router.
Thanks!, Blair

Go to either of the these two sites to get the public IP of your router...

http://www.whatismyip.com/
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

Another solution is to setup an account with one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully
qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com
software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The
No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That
information is then propagated over the public internet. You could then call the client PC using the
fully qualified domain name. It works very well for me when I call my home network using Remote
Desktop.

http://www.no-ip.com

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Blair Bisbey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I get the IP address for my remote computer so it
> can be accessed over the web? It is behind a DSL router.
> Thanks!, Blair

Thanks for the info on No-IP. It's easy to setup. I always failed to get it
going with other software.

Brian

> Another solution is to setup an account with one of the dynamic naming
services that map a fully
> qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I use a FREE service from
No-IP.com. The No-IP.com
> software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time schedule basis contacts the
No-IP.com servers. The
> No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and maps that to a fully
qualified domain name. That
> information is then propagated over the public internet. You could then
call the client PC using the
> fully qualified domain name. It works very well for me when I call my home
network using Remote
> Desktop.
>
> http://www.no-ip.com
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

I could use a little more advice on this subject...
I am attempting to connect to my work computer (WinXP Prof using a DSL
connection through a router. I assigned static IP's to each computer on the
router and I forwarded the 3389 and 80 ports to the Host computer.) from my
home computer (WinXP Home using a cable modem through a hub).
I set everything up on the work computer and then tested it by logging on to
it from my laptop through a dial-up connection and a different ISP just to
make sure that I could access it through the open Internet, and it worked
fine. I used whatsmyip.com to get the public IP address of the work computer
through the router.
When I went home (a long plane ride and two days later) I repeated the
experiment from the same laptop and through the same ISP, but had no sucess.
My questions are;
* Is it likely that my ISP rotates the IP that is assigned to my work
computer? and therefore,
* Do I need to set up the No-IP.com service from the work computer? Also,
* Am I correct in assuming that I will not need to assign a static IP to my
home computer, since it will be generating the connection session request
each time I want to open a connection?

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Go to either of the these two sites to get the public IP of your router...
>
> http://www.whatismyip.com/
> http://checkip.dyndns.org/
>
> Another solution is to setup an account with one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully
> qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com
> software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The
> No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That
> information is then propagated over the public internet. You could then call the client PC using the
> fully qualified domain name. It works very well for me when I call my home network using Remote
> Desktop.
>
> http://www.no-ip.com
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Blair Bisbey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I get the IP address for my remote computer so it
> > can be accessed over the web? It is behind a DSL router.
> > Thanks!, Blair

Yes, if your work ISP assigns a dynamic IP then its very possible the IP changed...

As noted, a work around to that is to use a service like No-IP.com...

Your home machine will not need a static IP...

--

"Adrian B" <AdrianB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I could use a little more advice on this subject...
> I am attempting to connect to my work computer (WinXP Prof using a DSL
> connection through a router. I assigned static IP's to each computer on the
> router and I forwarded the 3389 and 80 ports to the Host computer.) from my
> home computer (WinXP Home using a cable modem through a hub).
> I set everything up on the work computer and then tested it by logging on to
> it from my laptop through a dial-up connection and a different ISP just to
> make sure that I could access it through the open Internet, and it worked
> fine. I used whatsmyip.com to get the public IP address of the work computer
> through the router.
> When I went home (a long plane ride and two days later) I repeated the
> experiment from the same laptop and through the same ISP, but had no sucess.
> My questions are;
> * Is it likely that my ISP rotates the IP that is assigned to my work
> computer? and therefore,
> * Do I need to set up the No-IP.com service from the work computer? Also,
> * Am I correct in assuming that I will not need to assign a static IP to my
> home computer, since it will be generating the connection session request
> each time I want to open a connection?
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> Go to either of the these two sites to get the public IP of your router...
>>
>> http://www.whatismyip.com/
>> http://checkip.dyndns.org/
>>
>> Another solution is to setup an account with one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully
>> qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com
>> software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The
>> No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That
>> information is then propagated over the public internet. You could then call the client PC using
>> the
>> fully qualified domain name. It works very well for me when I call my home network using Remote
>> Desktop.
>>
>> http://www.no-ip.com
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Blair Bisbey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I get the IP address for my remote computer so it
>> > can be accessed over the web? It is behind a DSL router.
>> > Thanks!, Blair

Latest posts