deleteduser333

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Since i got black ops 2 for PC i started to play it very much and i port forwarded all the ports for an open nat type. strangely a few days ago my router somehow (re)turned him self on. My normal IP4 adress (what i found in CMD > ipconfig/all) was first like 192.XXX.X.65. after it returned itself on i got 192.XXX.X.66. My router just returned him self on again and its back at 192.XXX.X.65 again. does this changing have to do somthing with the ports from black ops 2?. im not really good with PC and stuff so keep it easy :p

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Nope that is the way DHCP works sometimes. You most likely have another device in your house. Depends how unlucky you are with the timing. If your lease on the IP address expired and another machine comes alone it will get the address. Resetting the router makes it start at the beginning. It does not have a hard drive to store it information so it just starts all over. This many times causes issues if the PC still thinks it can use the address and the router gives it to someone else.

You need to do what is called static DHCP reservations in your router. It will then give your PC the same address all the time

deleteduser333

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

How can i make myself a static IP without *breaking* my router? i'm not so good with PC's (14 years old)

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
It depends on the router but almost all have the ability to assign a ip statically in the dhcp area all you need is the mac address of the pc. You will need to read the manual or look around the setup it is part of the DHCP settings.