[SOLVED] "IP Configuration is Invalid" Can't connect to Ethernet or WiFi

Nov 14, 2019
My internet was working fine until yesterday, my computer refuses to connect to either the WiFi or Ethernet. It states that I'm connected but says "No internet". WiFi and Ethernet works for everything but this computer.

Windows is updated, I've tried updating drivers which didn't need updating. I've tried resetting my router. I don't know what else I can do. I've flushed DNS and done a few ipconfig commands in CMD, all of which did nothing.

Everything was fine until one day I log in and I can't get any connection at all.

On Ethernet connection it can't even identify the network, it says "Unidentified network". Connecting to WiFi works but says "No internet". I don't know what the deal is.

I had Mullvad VPN installed with kill switch enabled, I couldn't log into the damn program because I had no internet but I had no internet because of the kill switch. This is a common problem I'm having. I uninstalled Mullvad (which I thought was the issue) and still no luck.

Last edited:
Solution
It all depends on when you were messing the VPN. I really hate vpn software and only run it on my router even though not all vpn support this.

I got my machine broken like your when I was trying out a number of very popular VPN services. I was also only using very large well known ones. VPN sometimes just does not uninstall cleanly. I never figured it out and reinstalled windows. It is strange because I have installed and uninstalled vpn services before with no issues.

I think the first thing to try is to use the USB linux boot image as suggested. This will quickly show you if your hardware is good....which I suspect it is.

I would then try a windows install image and try to let it repair your install. This did not...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nov 14, 2019
do they both show in Device manager?

have you tried disabling ethernet and re enabling it again? that can fix the no internet thing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/an...s-shows-no-internet-access-but-it-worked.html (funny how only browser this page shows right in is Edge)

not sure if booting from Ubuntu just to see if it can see them is any use - https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview
Yea. Here's what I've done.

I've used the troubleshooter and found that the IP configuration is incorrect but I've tried these remedies and to no avail.

My windows is fully updated, I've tried updating drivers which didn't need updating. I've restarted my computer and reset my router, I've tried flushing DNS in CMD. I've reset the network on Windows. I've gone into regedit and tried this tutorial; https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058935/ethernet-products.html

I've reset windows sockets, I've uninstalled the WiFi adapter and scanned for hardware changes. It adds it back on but still can't identify network. It connects but "no internet". I've got ICP4 Protocol set to "Obtain IP Address automatically."

I don't know what else I can do. I don't want to reset my windows because I feel that isn't going to fix this and I'll lose everything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I know that feeling.

I can remember 20 years ago getting first PC and not realising I needed the internet for anything. Now when its not working I look at PC, and go... I guess I will use my phone until it works again. Most times its not PC end for me.

So devices still show in device manager, they just don't connect.

did you try in safe mode with networking?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode with networking by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

Nov 14, 2019
I know that feeling.

I can remember 20 years ago getting first PC and not realising I needed the internet for anything. Now when its not working I look at PC, and go... I guess I will use my phone until it works again. Most times its not PC end for me.

So devices still show in device manager, they just don't connect.

did you try in safe mode with networking?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode with networking by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
For some reason after clicking the restart button nothing happens. It's just a black screen.

Is it possible to reset windows whilst keeping everything I wanted?

It all depends on when you were messing the VPN. I really hate vpn software and only run it on my router even though not all vpn support this.

I got my machine broken like your when I was trying out a number of very popular VPN services. I was also only using very large well known ones. VPN sometimes just does not uninstall cleanly. I never figured it out and reinstalled windows. It is strange because I have installed and uninstalled vpn services before with no issues.

I think the first thing to try is to use the USB linux boot image as suggested. This will quickly show you if your hardware is good....which I suspect it is.

I would then try a windows install image and try to let it repair your install. This did not work for me but windows can be installed again without formatting. It will keep all the files like your documents and photos but replace windows. You will still have to reinstall any other software.

If I ever try a vpn on windows again I am going to install openvpn or wireguard client myself and then configure that to connect to the vpn provider rather than blindly clicking install and who knows what they do.

Solution
Nov 14, 2019

I would then try a windows install image and try to let it repair your install. This did not work for me but windows can be installed again without formatting. It will keep all the files like your documents and photos but replace windows. You will still have to reinstall any other software.

If I ever try a vpn on windows again I am going to install openvpn or wireguard client myself and then configure that to connect to the vpn provider rather than blindly clicking install and who knows what they do.
I agree with you 100%. Every VPN I have tried has messed with my system one way or another, and uninstalling it doesn't remove it entirely.

After everything, I reset my windows but kept all my files. I can connect to Ethernet fine now. Now it's just a case of reinstalling my most used programs.

Whatever it was, it's gone.

Reactions: Colif

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may have captured some error code, warning, or even an informational event that occurred when the connection problem started.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and presents a timeline format that may reveal when the problem(s) started.