IPconfig /release keeps saying I need elevation

SpaceLiner350

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi,

I want to get this function to work as well as ipconfig /renew. But so far, all I get is the message, 'The requested operation requires elevation.'

I looked up elevation and it said sign in as administrator. Sounds simple enough. I did so, and even hit the Run as Administrator button to try it that way yet another try but all to no avail. I keep getting the elevation message.

I use Vista Ultimate on an HP laptop. I briefly checked this topic out through a quick search and could not find an exact match so I guess other people have variations of this same problem.

I am simply trying to learn all I can about these functions and what they do and can be used for. Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer.

Solution
Start, control panel, network connections, and look for all network connections that you have. Another option is that you have a wireless connection, or a old connection that you created and forgot delete.

Verify this options and let me know if some one of this is the correct.

P.D. Excuse me for my bad English, but my native language is spanish.
This problem is 'cause Vista sucks. The solution is easy. go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and find CMD, right and run as administrator.

The ipconfig /renew is used to renew your IP adress, but before you can do this, you need release your actually IP, for do this, you can use the ipconfig /release, after you write this command on CMD you can use the ipconfig /renew.

Chears!

SpaceLiner350

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi and yes, thank you for helping me out. I tried what you said and it worked. I was able to get a release and renew.

However, despite my success, the command prompt box words sound like there was no success.

Upon executing the command ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew, the information that comes back says:

'No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.'

And then it shows Media State...............Media disconnected.

There is other info on the readout but 'media disconnected' seemed the most disconcerting.

What does this indicate? What media is it talking about? Did I really succeed in releasing and renewing?

I apologize for being late to get back to this Forum. I keep a busy schedule and in addition to that, I just suffered a virus of some kind or something in my computer and had to purge my system.

Thanks for the info and I hope people are still reading this thread.

SpaceLiner350

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Thanks for the reply. That sounds right and simple but it has left me scratching my head.

I am connected to the Internet as far as being able to do things there. Also the Release - Renew does work while connected (I just did it again before writing). I don't know if it would work if I tried it while not connected to the Internet.

As far as my modem not working (I use a gateway), I have all green lights across the front of it and as I say, I am connected.

Perhaps you mean something else that I am not understanding. Can you explain further? Thanks.

SpaceLiner350

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi and thanks again. Now you've got me wondering!? Do I have a connection that I am unaware of? Could this be an inroad to some spyware? Just joking-sort of.

I am not aware of another way to connect to the Internet. I would not doubt that there is one however. What do I look for about the possible second connection? I am not sure what to look for that would tell me that I had a second connection option?

Once again, you surprise me with you insight and I thank you for showing me the possibilities.

Start, control panel, network connections, and look for all network connections that you have. Another option is that you have a wireless connection, or a old connection that you created and forgot delete.

Verify this options and let me know if some one of this is the correct.

P.D. Excuse me for my bad English, but my native language is spanish.

Solution

SpaceLiner350

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Well....I am confused. I have a wireless connection and as far as I know, it is the only connection I have. I have had some connection difficulties with it in the past as I experimented with trying to convert from WEP to WPA2 but I always got it back connected.

I was unsuccessful in changing from WEP to WPA2. In fact, trying to do that was how I get so deep into all this other stuff! And I still can't do it. That is something I need to get back to someday, however....and I might ask if I may, any thoughts about how to do that?

Back to the subject at hand, I would ask if File Sharing or Network Discovery or Password Protection Sharing, or Printer Sharing or Public Folder Sharing, etc. might cause an open connection somewhere, somehow? Other than that, I am baffled.

I have never had another way of connecting other than the way I now have-with the 2Wire Gateway that was provided by AT&T and I use DSL. This HP laptop is only 1 1/2 years old and I use wireless. So I doubt there is some older connection method that I once used and simply forgot about. Rather, if there is a open connection somewhere, I would have to suspect that it is there without my knowledge (maybe as a default of some kind or perhaps a more malicious way).

If so, I would sure like to know what it is and how to track it down. You have aroused my curiosity about this. Surely there must be an answer as to why the Media State keeps saying: 'Media Disconnected'.

Thanks for your reply. I look for forward to any replies.

SpaceLiner350

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
OK. I am back after a computer virus. I am trying to get my computer back to where I was. I see no new replies to my ongoing questions. Regardless, I seem to have emails that indicated I had new replies. I see none. The emails prompt me to select a best answer or something.

Since there are no new replies, I may as well close off this thread and select a best answer.

Thank you Saint19.

dre12

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

I dont see a CMD. So what do i do now?